Mistermuttley

Rear demister connector tab broken, help!

Hi all,  have just bought a mint grade 1 aygo from manheims. Unfortunately they have missed the fact that one of the demister connector tabs is detached from the rear screen.

Have looked on youtube for a fix and some vid's mentioned soldering it back on, so I have tried that but there is only an orange translucent area to solder to where the tab came off and the solder just doesn't want to stick to it.Have also tried just heating the tab with solder on it onto the glass but there is no way it is sticking.

Have any of you tried the conductive glue like Permatex 21351 on Amazon and if so does it work? Have also submitted a claim via the surecheck app for the detached tab via their app so shall see how that works. Dont know whether they authorize someone to repair or give me the money to fix it. If i cant fix it then its a new screen at around £70 a pop.

And.....this Aygo is a one owner 8000 mile minter which was a part-ex from listers, but having just checked the logbook someone has filled in their name and address as if they were going to buy it. I guess there is no chance of getting a clean logbook but if not , what would you tell the customer when they come to fill in the form as someone else's details are already on it?

Cheers

To be fair many punters want to handle the log book & see it for themselves. Tippex over it as tidily as possible and if the question arises tell them that the owner had incorrectly entered the dealership’s details instead of on the yellow slip. A white lie that no one’s going to get hurt over. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

To be fair many punters want to handle the log book & see it for themselves. Tippex over it as tidily as possible and if the question arises tell them that the owner had incorrectly entered the dealership’s details instead of on the yellow slip. A white lie that no one’s going to get hurt over. 

I use that aswell :)

Third vote for the white stuff...the bottles with the spongy applicator are the best ones for a neat v5 tidy up!

1 hour ago, BHM said:

sounds good, will have to remember that!

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Don't you do the V5 online anyway?

I ask if they want it to be done online and they say ok then i sort it out for them, but as BHM said some do like to check all the docs logbook etc , so its tippex time!

Nope , always wait a week before posting in case you get some loony wanting to bring a car back

• Like 2

Ive gone all modern and electronically send them off 7 to 14 days after collection time

Lots of stamps saved at nearly 13 bob each, but more importantly i get confirmation of deed done,i print off this confirmasation, clip it to the kept log book and staple it behind my hard copy invoice,it might be messy but this way i have a full paper trail for any future problems that may arise

with regards the heater element you need a big smoldering iron to attach the broken clip one from the likes of maplins wont be big enough,the second problem is modern solder it really is dire stuff and doesnt flow like the old tin/lead stuff did so look in grandpas shed for some pre effluent stuff

I send ‘em electronically within a day or two so I get an email receipt. Quite why people are holding back log books in case of comebacks is beyond me. I thought I sell some shite but are your cars really that bad you expect them back? :lol:

21 minutes ago, BHM said:

I send ‘em electronically within a day or two so I get an email receipt. Quite why people are holding back log books in case of comebacks is beyond me. I thought I sell some shite but are your cars really that bad you expect them back? :lol:

i prefer to think of it as due diligence

sold a car this week it came back the next day with eml on

if customer kicked off and i refunded it could be 6 weeks before i could resell

i sorted the problem and they went off happy

but

you will always get someone who kicks off no matter how much sweetness and light they were at pos

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, s and b said:

Ive gone all modern and electronically send them off 7 to 14 days after collection time

Lots of stamps saved at nearly 13 bob each, but more importantly i get confirmation of deed done,i print off this confirmasation, clip it to the kept log book and staple it behind my hard copy invoice,it might be messy but this way i have a full paper trail for any future problems that may arise

Actually , that's better as 1 or 2 always seem to get lost in the post . Agreed that holding back is a bit belt and braces , but only taken two cars back in Thirteen years , one was a cheapie P/X to clear and the other was a perfect car with an A/hole rucker...

I do it online on collection whilst customer is in the office so if they drive through any cameras or get parking fines it goes to them rather than me or previous owner which can be a ball ache then shred the logbook. 

only once every got caught in this situation i just held back £250 until i had the log book, guy was an ass anyway so i didnt mind messing him around a little bit oddly enough the log book turned up in 7 days I am sure it would have taken 7 weeks if i hadnt held money back.

Best to register car on line asap in case it does come back. Otherwise the previous owner might receive the tax refund. Trying to explain to dvla that the refund has to go to someone that isn't on the v5 is a nightmare. Went through it a year ago when we offered to buy back a car from a customer.

On 23/12/2017 at 1:39 PM, Tony F said:

Best to register car on line asap in case it does come back. Otherwise the previous owner might receive the tax refund. Trying to explain to dvla that the refund has to go to someone that isn't on the v5 is a nightmare. Went through it a year ago when we offered to buy back a car from a customer.

to be honest the last thing on my mind would be worrying about their lost road tax

more importantly have they been ragging it or have they swapped a major component out

the reason i keep the log boks for my time period is i know the cars wont come back but surely it makes sense to do the same? space tied up in cars unsaleable till dvla do their business and lets be honest here if customer comes back raving demanding money back and they dont have the log book what chance of them posting it to you in 2 weeks time? nil zilch nowt is the answer whilst they will still go on facepalm and all the other sites trying to besmirch your business because a fault occured on a car you sold but it was outside the remit of a pdi fresh mot good long drive prior to offer of sale and during sale, the only bit missed off was the crystal ball check pre sales signing

It's not about faith in the reliability of your cars as any car can go wrong at any time so that is a daft statement!

Its about the attitude of the customer. Some are just unreasonable and can't be met on level playing fields!

Its a good idea to hold back V5 for a couple of weeks, that way if they demand money back, you can then give them the tax mon

ey back aswell, tippex their name and put your company name on reg doc to claim it back yourself. We find it would be better to have

your company name on the than another random owner that shows its only been owned for a few weeks.

just an alternative idea for you to consider.

Edited by Wood235

Sorted the rear demist on the Aygo. Did try to solder the tab to the glass but it just didnt want to solder. Got this  Conductive epoxy glue cw2400 by Circuit works. Its a 2 part epoxy and i was a bit skeptical at first but it has stuck the tab on and it is flowing the current so job done.

What was a pain though was that after fixing the tab there was no power to the rear screen circuit. Checked the obvious fuses first and they were fine, checked the switch and that was fine so my next thought was the relay which just happens to be buried under the dash! Getting the dash out was quite easy really as its split top to bottom and the top comes off no probs. Checked the relay and it was fine though.

At this stage i did think i would have to call the auto electrician out but after examining the pins on the connector which go onto the switch one of them was loose so a little tweak to make it contact more and we were in business. Then just as i was cleaning the interior the lady i had sold it to texted me asking if she could collect it today. Perfect timing!