Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

December......Decent or Disaster ??

After a good November (nothing in the last 10 days though) December has started great with two sold already.....Feeling confident at the moment :)

Very hit and miss looking at a graph of sales over the past decade and some years have been rock and roll others have been flat as a pancake. 

I've had more enquiries over the last couple of days, than I had in the whole of November, so things are looking up.

Just had what I thought was a dead cert, come out with the 'I'll ring you first thing Monday morning, have you got a business card'....

Now, I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I hate it when they ask for a business card, as that's usually the kiss of death. It's almost like by asking for one, it's their get out of jail card, they don't feel so bad about walking away.....

Guy rings up on Subaru I've got, he's had one before, bought the newer shape, regretted it and wants to get back into an old one. Mine ticks all the boxes, he couldn't believe his luck finding mine, as it's "exactly what he's been looking for".

Even by his own admission on the phone, he wanted to try and play it cool, but was really keen for the car, anyway he rings back an hour later, to say he's on his way over (2 hours away). He turns up, I give the obligatory warm welcome, shake his hand, make hime a coffee etc etc. He looks around the car, confirming it really is immaculate, (it genuinely looks like it's just come out of the showroom!), perfect full main dealer history, we go out on a test drive. Car drives like new, I ask him what his initial impression is, he replies "it's like coming home" he's now like a pig in sh*t.

We get back after a perfect test drive, fully expecting him to say, yep, I'll have it. I then get, I'm 95% sure I want it (he was 98% sure on the phone!!), BUT, I'll give you a call first thing Monday morning, can I have a business card? :rolleyes:

Fearing that I've lost him at this point, I politely ask if it was what he was expecting, to which he replies, it'e even better!!! :o:o

If he doesn't ring back Monday, I think I'll close the doors. He was the perfect person (or so I thought) for the car, and the car was perfect for him!! I've never met someone so gushy over a car / brand before. All very odd.......

Just the one so far (yesterday) but had wonderful profit across it.

Another one has been ringing since Wednesday, the car we had ticked all the boxes and was priced very reasonably. She was already here when we opened, came over from a hour away, she couldn't fault the car. Bodywork is immaculate and the car sells itself. She looked around it for 30 minutes checking every little thing.

'It's a great car but I think I'm going to leave it' 

Can I ask why? 

'It's overpriced by £500, but thanks for your time' 

That was that, off she went. I was so shocked I went inside and put the price up by £200.

• Like 2

I just had the pleasure of thes moron

eBay7?euid=7f8cb995654a4fc6b85d56fb03b49404& 

New message from: dean_s90 (226Turquoise Star)

All you have to do is my question you fuxking bell end. Il spend my money else where thanks..

29 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

All you have to do is my question you fuxking bell end. Il spend my money else where thanks..

Love to see the rest of that convo.

4 Decent cars sold, nice day good mood and then.....

Recovery truck comes round corner

I have just had someone ignore a warning light they reported 10 days ago and looks like they have destroyed an engine. 

Rory, he was your typical "i'll give £1800 cash tomorrow m8" my car is advertised £3000 no offers. Been stringing him out all day..... BIG SMILES

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

He really should have attended school.....

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Loads of enquirers but no shows! :ph34r:

I admit to being extreme, but I won't appoint until they've paid an upfront deposit.....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

I've had more enquiries over the last couple of days, than I had in the whole of November, so things are looking up.

Just had what I thought was a dead cert, come out with the 'I'll ring you first thing Monday morning, have you got a business card'....

Now, I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I hate it when they ask for a business card, as that's usually the kiss of death. It's almost like by asking for one, it's their get out of jail card, they don't feel so bad about walking away.....

Guy rings up on Subaru I've got, he's had one before, bought the newer shape, regretted it and wants to get back into an old one. Mine ticks all the boxes, he couldn't believe his luck finding mine, as it's "exactly what he's been looking for".

Even by his own admission on the phone, he wanted to try and play it cool, but was really keen for the car, anyway he rings back an hour later, to say he's on his way over (2 hours away). He turns up, I give the obligatory warm welcome, shake his hand, make hime a coffee etc etc. He looks around the car, confirming it really is immaculate, (it genuinely looks like it's just come out of the showroom!), perfect full main dealer history, we go out on a test drive. Car drives like new, I ask him what his initial impression is, he replies "it's like coming home" he's now like a pig in sh*t.

We get back after a perfect test drive, fully expecting him to say, yep, I'll have it. I then get, I'm 95% sure I want it (he was 98% sure on the phone!!), BUT, I'll give you a call first thing Monday morning, can I have a business card? :rolleyes:

Fearing that I've lost him at this point, I politely ask if it was what he was expecting, to which he replies, it'e even better!!! :o:o

If he doesn't ring back Monday, I think I'll close the doors. He was the perfect person (or so I thought) for the car, and the car was perfect for him!! I've never met someone so gushy over a car / brand before. All very odd.......

He’s not coming back,he’s just a Suburu pervert.....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trade vet said:

He’s not coming back,he’s just a Suburu pervert.....

You're probably right, although he did ring me on his way home to confirm what warranty it comes with, as he forgot to ask. Then asked what time I'd be in the office on Monday morning.

I'm hoping that's encouraging. He's either still thinking about it seriously, or he's just teasing me and getting another 'fix'.

Place your bets....?

7 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

You're probably right, although he did ring me on his way home to confirm what warranty it comes with, as he forgot to ask. Then asked what time I'd be in the office on Monday morning.

I'm hoping that's encouraging. He's either still thinking about it seriously, or he's just teasing me and getting another 'fix'.

Place your bets....?

another fix

8 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Place your bets....?

I had a guy say to me ”I want to look at your car it interests me” I said I’m afraid, as explained in my video I only appoint confirmed buyers, he said I only want to look, also you are the first and I would never buy the first car I looked at.....

Did you actually give him your business card?

If so, my money's on him being a Be-back Bus ticket collector.

47 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Did you actually give him your business card?

If so, my money's on him being a Be-back Bus ticket collector.

Yeah I did give him a business card. Think I may as well have given him a christmas card tbh.

23 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Rory, he was your typical "i'll give £1800 cash tomorrow m8" my car is advertised £3000 no offers. Been stringing him out all day..... BIG SMILES

I had one yesterday through bumtree, cars up at 4490, offered 2500. Didn't respond. 

• Like 1

December is a funny old month. Can be ok , can be rubbish.

Ive had a cracking september, October and November so if i cover my costs and a wage, I personally would be happy this month.

However my priority will be too buy as much stock as possible ready for January

Is January really “that” good though or more taking stock for feb?

Eagerly awaiting update's on the Subaru customer ....  hopefully he's spent all weekend ironing his lovely blue owners club fleece in prep for collection day B)

• Like 3

I feel like it's going to be a very mediocre December but you never know. Priority for us also is to be buying in advance of the Jan/Feb silly prices but we need to find some stock worth buying, hard work at the moment

I had a guy ring me up about one of my Range Rovers, spoke for about 10 minutes confirming everything as it's the 'perfect spec'. Tells me he's only half an hour away and is leaving right now. 25 minutes I get a AT enquiry from him asking some of the questions he had already asked so assume he didn't realise it was the same company he had just spoken to. 

Time wasters really do piss me off. 

Anyone else get a lot of people who ring up and ask the price/mileage etc as if they had just randomly rang a number in hope?

2 hours ago, Tadams said:

Eagerly awaiting update's on the Subaru customer ....  hopefully he's spent all weekend ironing his lovely blue owners club fleece in prep for collection day B)

All bets are off. He rang this morning, he's going ahead and has placed a deposit. Ye of little faith!! (Me included!!) :P

• Like 1