Car Sales Uk

Auction buying and where in the UK

Good morning fellow traders

Im a London based dealer and like most traders out there we’re finding it’s a constant battle to buy resonably prices vehicles from auction to enable a reasonable profit. 

Can anyone tell me from their experience where in the UK is the best place to buy from auction, one would assume that the south east demands a premium? 

Also internet of physical auctions? Preference and why please? 

Your thoughts on a postcard please 

Lee 

Edited by Car Sales Uk

Sadly this issue is the same throughout the UK re buying reasonably priced cars to sell for a reasonable profit, with regards auctions the thing that hits the 'little man (or woman)' at auctions is the Buyers Premium which effectively means 'the price you see is NOT the price you pay', once upon a time the auction houses only took payment from the seller, now they get it at both ends so unfortunately the only way forwards is to buy with diligance and sell with confidence.

1 minute ago, met said:

The internet killed regional auction price variations

Very much so. I used to travel to Scotland weekly to buy when starting out a the prices and fees were significantly cheaper. Not anymore.

12 minutes ago, 2435mick said:

Sadly this issue is the same throughout the UK re buying reasonably priced cars to sell for a reasonable profit, with regards auctions the thing that hits the 'little man (or woman)' at auctions is the Buyers Premium which effectively means 'the price you see is NOT the price you pay', once upon a time the auction houses only took payment from the seller, now they get it at both ends so unfortunately the only way forwards is to buy with diligance and sell with confidence.

Thank you Mick, I suppose I was hoping for a revaluation, silly me haha thank you for your time! 

7 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Very much so. I used to travel to Scotland weekly to buy when starting out a the prices and fees were significantly cheaper. Not anymore.

10 minutes ago, met said:

The internet killed regional auction price variations

True Met! Is that how you mostly buy? By tinernet? 

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

H Lee

What sort of stuff do you buy !

Hi Vet

stock is around £15-20k purchase price. We aim for less turnover of units for more profit rather than trying to sell 40 units for little money! and less work which should be less staff extra, well that’s the idea anyway :<|

Hi Lee

I was expecting you to say small automatics ! For the stuff you want,I think you are well located.I recall when the London guys used to buy all the decent heavy stuff in Glasgow or Edinburgh,but it is no longer available in the same numbers and northern stuff usually needs paintwork.You are better off paying a £1000 over for stuff in Bedford,Chelmsford,B/Bushe,or Colchester.If you go to Belle Vue,Derby or Brighouse you will see what I mean.

3 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi Lee

I was expecting you to say small automatics ! For the stuff you want,I think you are well located.I recall when the London guys used to buy all the decent heavy stuff in Glasgow or Edinburgh,but it is no longer available in the same numbers and northern stuff usually needs paintwork.You are better off paying a £1000 over for stuff in Bedford,Chelmsford,B/Bushe,or Colchester.If you go to Belle Vue,Derby or Brighouse you will see what I mean.

Hi Vet,

thank you for you insight and I will look into this, I have heard Colchester is normally a go place to go but even they pay over the odds! It’s just a shame that sale prices don’t really reflect the high purchase price these day. 

47 minutes ago, Car Sales Uk said:

Hi Vet,

thank you for you insight and I will look into this, I have heard Colchester is normally a go place to go but even they pay over the odds! It’s just a shame that sale prices don’t really reflect the high purchase price these day. 

Have you looked at Dealer Auction?

3 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

This. I still think they are cheaper up there, but by the time you factor in transport, recon costs etc then sadly it's not the golden goose that it once was. Shame, because they treat you well up there and not like a peasant.

29 minutes ago, sparky said:

This. I still think they are cheaper up there, but by the time you factor in transport, recon costs etc then sadly it's not the golden goose that it once was. Shame, because they treat you well up there and not like a peasant.

Your right,I used to go up at least 3 times a week.The auctioneers,the cafe ,the office staff and even the traders on the floor were all very nice.Mind ,getting stuck in the snow a few times at Beattock summit on the A74 ( pre M74) was not very pleasant !

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Your right,I used to go up at least 3 times a week.The auctioneers,the cafe ,the office staff and even the traders on the floor were all very nice.Mind ,getting stuck in the snow a few times at Beattock summit on the A74 ( pre M74) was not very pleasant !

Those snowy drives back are not missed. Far friendlier though could not agree more.