FHP11

New Trade Plate Laws

Hi Guys,

A bit of advice, especially if anyone has been through the same issue.

We received a penalty from the DVLA for driving an unlicenced vehicle from a roadside DVLA road tax van. Fair enough, the vehicle was not taxed, however, trade plates were on display.

We wrote back stating as such. They wrote back stating that they would like us to pay £135.

We wrote back again stating that we have paid up trade plates which were on display. They wrote back with a picture of the front section of the vehicle, basically just showing the grille and bumper  (noway near the entire car) stating that no trade plate was on display.

I called up telling them that you state trade plates cannot obscure the number plate. She told me that's right, they must be mounted next to the number plate!!

When I asked how that was possible, she just said we cannot advise about that. Do they want us to drill or stick trade plates to each vehicle we drive?

They just stated that they cannot be inside the vehicle and cannot obscure the front plate. So Frustrated that they waste my time and theirs on these things when we fully pay for the facility of trade plates and make every effort to abide by their use. Fair enough people who drive without tax but not business that pay their way.

What an outdated piece of legislation that requires us to show these plates but gives no way for this to be reasonably possible and in many cases completely impossible.

In any case, I'm half tempted to ask them to set a court date for the matter to be heard, but just wanted to hear if anyone else had any experience or luck with these issues.

Interesting, but still ultimately leaves the issue up in the air as to where we are supposed to put them?

That volvo is a great example, You can't obscure the plate, fine. There is no other mountable surface that does not obscure lights, headlamp washers, fog lamps, sensors etc.

Car's aren't designed with two number plate positions.

Its time they moved to a new system maybe similar to insurance, where we add our stock vehicles to a "Trade Tax" system that allows us to drive them and allows ANPR systems to see the score.

They provide a rigid plastic plate which simply cannot be mounted or used as they ask you too, then fine you for not using it correctly! If it was a business doing this, Trading standards would be all over you. Its simply unacceptable to say, heres our product, it can't be used but its up to you to find a way to make it work! Else pay our fines!

1 hour ago, FHP11 said:

In any case, I'm half tempted to ask them to set a court date for the matter to be heard, but just wanted to hear if anyone else had any experience or luck with these issues.

Now, that would sound like the perfect case for Lawgistics to take on your behalf pro-bono for the good of the trade and to make a cracking piece of advertorial for themselves...?! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FHP11 said:

Hi Guys,

A bit of advice, especially if anyone has been through the same issue.

We received a penalty from the DVLA for driving an unlicenced vehicle from a roadside DVLA road tax van. Fair enough, the vehicle was not taxed, however, trade plates were on display.

We wrote back stating as such. They wrote back stating that they would like us to pay £135.

We wrote back again stating that we have paid up trade plates which were on display. They wrote back with a picture of the front section of the vehicle, basically just showing the grille and bumper  (noway near the entire car) stating that no trade plate was on display.

I called up telling them that you state trade plates cannot obscure the number plate. She told me that's right, they must be mounted next to the number plate!!

When I asked how that was possible, she just said we cannot advise about that. Do they want us to drill or stick trade plates to each vehicle we drive?

They just stated that they cannot be inside the vehicle and cannot obscure the front plate. So Frustrated that they waste my time and theirs on these things when we fully pay for the facility of trade plates and make every effort to abide by their use. Fair enough people who drive without tax but not business that pay their way.

What an outdated piece of legislation that requires us to show these plates but gives no way for this to be reasonably possible and in many cases completely impossible.

I thought that trade plates had to go over the existing plate now.

2 hours ago, Screenman said:

I thought that trade plates had to go over the existing plate now.

Now, They specifically cannot be mounted over the original plate. That must still be visible. But also, they cannot be inside the vehicle, which begs the question, where do they go?

Glad this has been bought up. 

I thought they should be mounted ont the dashboard so the plate is clearly visible at the front of the car thro the windscreen? 

And stuck in the back window again clearly visible to anyone behind?

I’VE GOT THE SAME ISSUE. I sent off my form last week, confirming I was the driver but that I had my plates in the window. I’m awaiting their response so will post here when I receive it.

From guidelines on application form ... plates have got to be vertical , how can you have em vertical .

4. Display of trade plates

A trade plate:
• must be displayed on a vehicle as long as

it is visible and vertical on both the front and rear (rear only for motorcycles)
• cannot be displayed inside a vehicle
• must not cover the vehicle’s existing number plates (except motorcycles)

Please note: Motorcycles can continue to display a trade plate 

Over the past 20 years I have found DVLA to be utterly useless at everything they do.

I will and always will put the trade plates in the window.

Rest assured DVLA will have had over 5000 man hours debating this topic.

Here is a brain teaser... how many cups of tea/coffee would have been drank?

• Like 1

What annoys me is their attitude to it.

I asked for help and guidance as to where possibly I could display them on the vehicle given that its physically impossible and in some cases would be illegal on some vehicles, for instance obscuring a headlamp etc.

I was simply told, the DVLA don't give guidance on how to adhere to the policy. When I stated again, I really do need guidance on this because I don't know how its possible, she simply hung the phone up on me!

Why does it matter if the plates are inside of the car. ? At least they are less likely to fall off an be lost if they are inside

i fail to see how you can drive a car with the trade plate in the window especially on a manky day as the windows steam up keep a half hearted conversation going with a customer that farts and ask for the sale as you nearly go through a speed camera at 34 mph and the trade plate doesnt come wizzing off the dash and cut a gonad in half

ive never been a fan of plates in car windows and it was never legal anyway

so mine stay over the original plates as per :)

Get cars delivered to you from auction and pick a test drive route without any ANPRs, simple. I'll chuck a plate in the window but frankly it's not high on my list of worries. Surely it's only an issue if you're doing big mileage in stock cars which is unnecessary anyway?

re trade plate in window, it would fail a mot, drivers view of the road, so straightaway, youve failed :lol:

as for where to mount them, especially front, i am well unsure, perhaps the whole idea needs rethinking and we put them on the roof just like a learner car/police car ?

need a strong magnet mind, speed my test drive customers go at :huh: !

Bought some of these earlier this year

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRADE-PLATE-HOLDERS-CLIP-ON-TYPE-FOR-DISPLAYING-NEXT-TO-NUMBER-PLATE-2-PLATE-SET/322723013095?hash=item4b23ca61e7:g:c8wAAOSwNglZ2lzf

They work just fine on most cars (except those with bigger than normal plates), although a bit fiddly on some and you have to be really careful with the edges on the paintwork.

It's all insane: 'vertically' takes the biscuit!

I use a very strong couple of magnets (actually the ones that come with the WMS warranty roof boards) that have a threaded protrusion and a wing nut - so just drill two holes in your plates.

Only trouble is- some cars have aluminum bonnets and obviously plastic grilles, so it doesn't always work on the front; but there's loads of alternative fixing kits on ebay, and this one (and others) covers all other eventualities: item number:  322723013072 only twenty quid

48 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Bought some of these earlier this year

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRADE-PLATE-HOLDERS-CLIP-ON-TYPE-FOR-DISPLAYING-NEXT-TO-NUMBER-PLATE-2-PLATE-SET/322723013095?hash=item4b23ca61e7:g:c8wAAOSwNglZ2lzf

They work just fine on most cars (except those with bigger than normal plates), although a bit fiddly on some and you have to be really careful with the edges on the paintwork.

I have a set of these but found that they only fitted on about half of the cars in stock and even then i'd either end up cutting my finger or scratching an already touched in bumper.

Someone earlier mentioned a roof top magnetic thing which is a great idea in principle but how would you get around soft tops and stuff like Outlanders which have a plastic roof?

Yup, but I find the ones that the kit doesn't work for, the magnets do.  It's all mad as I say- they should just be happy that we're paying for trade plates as why does it matter really if they're inside or outside.  The number plate is still visible.  Idiots.

• Like 1

On the basis that we are all essentially chancing our luck by displaying them incorrectly (I've never seen a car with trade plates showing them externally, vertically but not obscuring the original plate), and still liable to a fine when they see us using them to the best of our abilities, perhaps we should all simply stop paying the trade plate fee on the basis that it is impossible to use, I'm sure they'd soon sit up and take notice then.

• Like 3

It's amazing how many different ways to do it. I see so many cars direct from main dealers (mainly VAG) who don't even have the normal number plate on display and instead just have their 'Audi' plate then just have the trade plate in the windows.

Some cover the original plate and then some have them hanging from the boot.

A simple paragraph on their site detailing how they need to be displayed would be the answer to everything.

I’ve worked it out. I suppose if we started covering the reg. plate with our trade plates their computers would accept the vehicle as taxed AND they’d not know what vehicle to send out the fine to. BINGO! (If this makes sense :lol:).

13 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’ve worked it out. I suppose if we started covering the reg. plate with our trade plates their computers would accept the vehicle as taxed AND they’d not know what vehicle to send out the fine to. BINGO! (If this makes sense :lol:).

ah ha but they dont know who we are with only trade plates showing as the letter they sent us all weeks ago proves:lol::lol:

this is why  my trade plates cover the original numbers:ph34r:

double whammy back of the netB)

i wonder how many traders still dont have their plates on the mid though?:huh::huh: