Morning all. Just to lay to rest any confusion around Motortrade.me. Our platform in it’s start-up phase has not been without its challenges, which I hope all the other business owners here can appreciate. We have not charged any member while we were finding our feet and have taken the decision that there is no benefit in remaining ltd so we put that to bed. Our alliance with the IMDA fits very well and made perfect sense because our values are directly aligned. After working so closely with the IMDA we would like to commend the founders who are genuinely trying to take action and start something that will benefit a massive segment of the trade that often goes largely ignored.

The platform is a full dealer trading platform ready to run a great service and the opportunity to line this up for the good of the community is an irresistible one. We are offering the system to members inclusive of an IMDA membership, which carries some cost but I hope that you will appreciate, nowhere near what more profit-centric companies are charging. We hope that this delivers great value back to you all. 

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, umesh said:

Autovola NOT involved at all in any shape or form.! 

The founder Members are the ' Magnificent 7 ' :) ALL Very respected dealer plus one industry expert - I'm sure you'll recognise some if not all of these names.

Jim Reid - Jim Reid Vehicle Sales

David Bilsborough - Cheshire Cars

Phil Weaver - Knickerbrook Cars

Stuart Saunders - Urban Motor Company

Chris Roach - Chequers Cars 

Philip Nothard - Cox Automotive 

And ME 

www.theimda.co.uk 

thanks for settling that motortraderme, question for the magnificent 7 as I noticed last night your names are all on there for testimonials, sourcing is a real problem for us, selling isn't an issue its getting good quality stock at a REAL trade price in order to make a decent margin after costs - How long have you been using Motortrademe and how many cars have you traded through them? just want to get a feel before applying, I seem to waste a lot of time, traipsing around auctions and sick of walking away from Wolverhampton, Perry Barr, Manheim Birmingham, Nottingham etc. empty handed because of crazy prices, private bidders and substandard stock. have tried all the online trade sites and wasn't overly impressed with motortrademe, whats changed since the free offer and how are you guys making it work for you? Is Phil from Cox ok with endorsing them as seems competitor to Manheim? if you say its a good source then that's good enough for me. not being negative at all just desperate to source as we probably all are on here and applaud your passion, want sound business ideas as well

19 hours ago, jimreidvehicle said:

Trade Vet, I really am struggling with your comments.

Not For Profit means exactly that , all money made after costs for running it are met is ploughed back into the Association to help make it grow to help make it better  for Dealers.

Think we have covered the Motortrade me  question ? Or did you miss the answer!

To keep costs to a complete minimum I’m more than happy to be Chairman for as long as it help the IMDA , no doubt it will become a full time job once busier.

We have absolutely nothing to hide, and if you don’t ‘get it’ it’s fine there are plenty who do.

many thanks for your comments I’ll keep the Dragons Dens tips on file just in case I ever need them !

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim, I have read the current thread with concern and feel that you should take advice from your chosen Legal Partner as the situation has criminal implications.

“Trade Vet” is quite right, MotortradeMe Ltd applied for voluntary liquidation on the 10th December 2016 which was granted on the 28th March 2017.  The company was dissolved at that point and cannot legally trade from that date.

The website, terms and conditions, and advertising still relate to this Limited Company and is linked with your own. It should therefore be changed.

To retort to the “Trade Vet” that he “missed your answer” is somewhat disingenuous. You did not answer the question.

You cannot contract with a non-existent Company and any purported contract would be void.

If you have contracted instead with a partnership or individual now trading as MotortradeMe then this should have been clearly stated and continue to be made clear in all documentation and to all prospective and current members.

If the IMDA wish to act with “the highest levels of professionalism”, be “legitimate and law abiding”, as they require of prospective members, and have “nothing to hide”, then they should make it clear on the website and all relevant documentation who they have partnered and contracted with and who owns the platform being offered to members.

To fail to provide this information and leave the website and advertising in its current state will breach, inter alia, The Companies Act 2006 and The Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008. It will also leave current and prospective members at risk.

Further it raises questions as to the value of savings for members, against a product that does not appear to be currently available on the market.

We too are passionate about the Motor Trade and would not want to see our independent dealers or the IMDA compromised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawJaw said:

Hi Jim, I have read the current thread with concern and feel that you should take advice from your chosen Legal Partner as the situation has criminal implications.

“Trade Vet” is quite right, MotortradeMe Ltd applied for voluntary liquidation on the 10th December 2016 which was granted on the 28th March 2017.  The company was dissolved at that point and cannot legally trade from that date.

The website, terms and conditions, and advertising still relate to this Limited Company and is linked with your own. It should therefore be changed.

To retort to the “Trade Vet” that he “missed your answer” is somewhat disingenuous. You did not answer the question.

You cannot contract with a non-existent Company and any purported contract would be void.

If you have contracted instead with a partnership or individual now trading as MotortradeMe then this should have been clearly stated and continue to be made clear in all documentation and to all prospective and current members.

If the IMDA wish to act with “the highest levels of professionalism”, be “legitimate and law abiding”, as they require of prospective members, and have “nothing to hide”, then they should make it clear on the website and all relevant documentation who they have partnered and contracted with and who owns the platform being offered to members.

To fail to provide this information and leave the website and advertising in its current state will breach, inter alia, The Companies Act 2006 and The Business Protection from Misleading Marketing Regulations 2008. It will also leave current and prospective members at risk.

Further it raises questions as to the value of savings for members, against a product that does not appear to be currently available on the market.

We too are passionate about the Motor Trade and would not want to see our independent dealers or the IMDA compromised.

Now........That's why I am a member of Lawgistics

• Like 2

Dear IMDA,

Please understand my previous post was not a personal attack on the IMDA or what you wish to achieve. A question was asked on a public forum about a matter that had potential legal ramifications for the association itself as well as for our members who would seek to join. We entered the conversation to bring some clarity to the issue, not to in any way discredit the IMDA.

I stand by what I said in my email when you invited Lawgistics to quote for running your legal helpline. I wrote, “I really want the IMDA to work, the industry needs it and the independents are ready for it... but they need to join for the right reasons.”

I also wrote, “We are also passionate about giving the independents a voice and have publicly challenged authorities and federations when they have disadvantaged or knocked them.” We are not suggesting that this was the case with the IMDA but felt the forum question had not been answered. You are now an association, offering services to the Motor Trade and it is only natural for us to ask questions on our members behalf and give our opinion... that’s what we do.

We are very pleased to see that Motortrademe have now removed the Limited Company from their website which goes some way to meeting the legal requirements and no doubt further changes will follow.

We also note with interest that IMDA is to be a non-profit making association which, being altruistic, is to be highly commended.  Many such organisations enjoy charitable status and are closely scrutinized by the Charity Commission.  For others such scrutiny is left to the public domain.

For such organisations with that ethos, comes additional responsibility.  They have a fiduciary relationship with their members and potential members and must conduct all transactions uberrima fidei, in the utmost good faith. It must be clear to all concerned that in every transaction there is no personal pecuniary advantage for any officer or employee of the association.

However, to comply with the law and ensure an environment of openness and good faith we suggest you should immediately publish the details of ownership of Motortrademe and the platform they provide together with any details of any personal pecuniary advantage that may influence a prospective members decision to join.

To fail to do so will no doubt give rise to speculation that you do in fact have “something to hide”.

This question is inevitable.

The IMDA is a "non profit organisation" is anyone taking fees / pay / a wage out of of the joining membership ? 

8 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

This question is inevitable.

The IMDA is a "non profit organisation" is anyone taking fees / pay / a wage out of of the joining membership ? 

Arfur

No. Although all seven of the founder members have been working on this since June this year, none of us have taken any fees/pay or wages out of the Association. In fact quite the opposite, the six founder members who run businesses have all put in loans to the Association to get it of the ground and some of us have also bared some of the early set up costs too.

There will come a point in the Not so distant future that an admin person will have to be employed and perhaps other employees but at the moment we are happy to share the heavy workload (with no pay or back pay) and balance it with working on our own businesses as well to save costs for the IMDA whilst in its infancy.

Unsure if that was the inevetible answer you were hoping for.

Jim

34 minutes ago, jimreidvehicle said:

Arfur

No. Although all seven of the founder members have been working on this since June this year, none of us have taken any fees/pay or wages out of the Association. In fact quite the opposite, the six founder members who run businesses have all put in loans to the Association to get it of the ground and some of us have also bared some of the early set up costs too.

There will come a point in the Not so distant future that an admin person will have to be employed and perhaps other employees but at the moment we are happy to share the heavy workload (with no pay or back pay) and balance it with working on our own businesses as well to save costs for the IMDA whilst in its infancy.

Jim

"Unsure if that was the inevitable answer you were hoping for."

Jim, you said everything right until the last sentence, where you completely ruined your reply....Why ? I've done nothing but praise you and the IMDA, but I'm finding it increasing difficult with the tone of your replies and what you are trying to imply with simple, straightforward and justifiable questions? The same tone has appeared against Trade Vet and MET, these little digs, jibes are completely unprofessional and unnecessary. If you are going to be responding in the name of the IMDA I think you need to take a deep look at your attitude and professionalism. 

34 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

"Unsure if that was the inevitable answer you were hoping for."

Jim, you said everything right until the last sentence, where you completely ruined your reply....Why ? I've done nothing but praise you and the IMDA, but I'm finding it increasing difficult with the tone of your replies and what you are trying to imply with simple, straightforward and justifiable questions? The same tone has appeared against Trade Vet and MET, these little digs, jibes are completely unprofessional and unnecessary. If you are going to be responding in the name of the IMDA I think you need to take a deep look at your attitude and professionalism. 

Arfur

In my view I have professionally and simply answered your questions by using the words you have used whilst asking them.

The problems with forums are the fact that the true tone of a reply can not be heard and an assumption of attitude can be miss interpreted. I apologise again if you feel that my reply was not professional.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have about the IMDA personally and professionally over the phone at any stage of today that suits you. Actually I’m in the office now, 07787587422.

I thank you for your praise of the IMDA as we along with many Independents feel that this is a much needed Association and we are here to help by making a difference.

Please feel free to call.

Jim

6 minutes ago, jimreidvehicle said:

Arfur

In my view I have professionally and simply answered your questions by using the words you have used whilst asking them.

The problems with forums are the fact that the true tone of a reply can not be heard and an assumption of attitude can be miss interpreted. I apologise again if you feel that my reply was not professional.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have about the IMDA personally and professionally over the phone at any stage of today that suits you. Actually I’m in the office now, 07787587422.

I thank you for your praise of the IMDA as we along with many Independents feel that this is a much needed Association and we are here to help by making a difference.

Please feel free to call.

Jim

Jim, I don't think I miss interpreted your reply. Keep up the good work. Arfur :)

Forgive me for sounding like a stuck record, applaud what you're trying to do here I really do. However last year was advised to cancel the autotrader and subscribe to Jim's autovolo dealer scheme.http://tradeplates.tv/live/live-6pm-autovolo-jim-reid-vehicle-sales/

Usually sell between 30-35 cars per month. I cancelled in May last year for 2 months, sales dropped to 11 in June and 9 in July (didn't go for the autovolvo and I know its my own fault but was convinced it was the right decision), so listening to the magnificent 7 cost me around 40 sales conservatively and circa £28000 net profit, will the IMDA give me other such peals of wisdom for my £300

Also would like to know which suppliers your negotiating discounts with, are they such market leaders as motortrademe or have you got preferential rates for click Dealer, lawgistics, autotrader, carguru's, BCA etc - I'd rather pay £3000 if you could deliver discounts from these, than £300 and have Vauxhall conference, Z list suppliers no ones ever heard of

and again not comfortable with Cox being involved unless we can get a great Manheim deal.

sorry for sounding cynical, still smarting over the bad advice which cost me last year so wary of jumping into anything else regardless of the cost and don't want to be burned again.. Got a close pal who's a DP at Holdcroft and he's a member of the NFDA and pays a similar amount for franchise support http://www.nfda-uk.co.uk/ is this what you're trying to do? are you going to be lobbying government for support, clarity on Brexit affect on Independent dealers, plans for diesels, hybrids etc - that would be a powerful voice

Can anyone explain the below to me ? 

Was just a little confused how you "lock out the competition" but it states there is a maximum of 5 per sector.. so you lock out the competition apart from the other 4 companies that are allowed in ?

Also in the benefits it sounds like a lot of the information I would get access to, I get with AM Online already FOC.

Cheers  

how much.PNG

51 minutes ago, RH Trading said:

Forgive me for sounding like a stuck record, applaud what you're trying to do here I really do. However last year was advised to cancel the autotrader and subscribe to Jim's autovolo dealer scheme.http://tradeplates.tv/live/live-6pm-autovolo-jim-reid-vehicle-sales/

Usually sell between 30-35 cars per month. I cancelled in May last year for 2 months, sales dropped to 11 in June and 9 in July (didn't go for the autovolvo and I know its my own fault but was convinced it was the right decision), so listening to the magnificent 7 cost me around 40 sales conservatively and circa £28000 net profit, will the IMDA give me other such peals of wisdom for my £300

Also would like to know which suppliers your negotiating discounts with, are they such market leaders as motortrademe or have you got preferential rates for click Dealer, lawgistics, autotrader, carguru's, BCA etc - I'd rather pay £3000 if you could deliver discounts from these, than £300 and have Vauxhall conference, Z list suppliers no ones ever heard of

and again not comfortable with Cox being involved unless we can get a great Manheim deal.

sorry for sounding cynical, still smarting over the bad advice which cost me last year so wary of jumping into anything else regardless of the cost and don't want to be burned again.. Got a close pal who's a DP at Holdcroft and he's a member of the NFDA and pays a similar amount for franchise support http://www.nfda-uk.co.uk/ is this what you're trying to do? are you going to be lobbying government for support, clarity on Brexit affect on Independent dealers, plans for diesels, hybrids etc - that would be a powerful voice

Hi RH

Thank you,Just viewed the Autovolo stuff and have had to take a spoonful of gorilla glue as I think I am about to blow a head gasket.I will reply later today when I have settled down.

Why would any experienced motor dealer want to be seen promoting this Ali G guy and his co director and their AutoVola website and  give approval for 1000 dealers to acquire a 20% stake.Some people might have checked out Ali G first and his claims to being a  successfull businessman.AutoVola now looks insolvent and the co director has departed.Then there was MotortradeMe and  there could be others ,you have to wonder whether IMDA will go the same way......As they say on  Dragens Den, I'm Out !

• Like 1

Having lurked on this one I think fair play to the guys involved for starting something that aims to help the trade.

I wouldn't ever sign up until I started hearing about its benefits on the grapevine and I guess it's a vicious circle because if everyone is like me it's difficult to get it off the ground...well done for starting up something though chaps.

Instead of the sniping that everyone is doing maybe I could add what I would want being a member of a trade body to do for me and see if some answers/suggestions are forthcoming? I want it to be low cost and get big benefits as we all do.

So from a membership I would like:

A big sign, stickers, point of sale etc stating that I am a member to stick on my office and I don't want to pay for them...I would want some included in the membership with the option to purchase bigger better signs, stickers etc.

Support. I want a closed forum the public cannot access that I can post problems and questions to and communicate with people that have experienced said issues before ( I have this already here but another doesn't cost much to start)

The body to actually represent something. To Joe public it will mean nothing for years so I need it to mean something to me. I would want it to show that I am a decent dealer so if I go to court being a member might sway a decision.

A website with relevant trade news (no offence but car dealer magazine focus's too much on franchises and not on us lowly used dealers). I would want to see legal updates and news relating to our business and a section of FAQs for the trade.

A discount on Lawgistics because frankly they have been useful for us and, whatever your opinion of them, represent our trade. 

Discounts on other suppliers such as keytag, movex, euros, etc.

A directory where only traders that have used a service can upload contacts for upholsterers, smart paint, electrical guys etc...this is a thing I would launch myself if I was any good with computers. You sell a car to someone 100 miles away, the EML flashes up two days later and you have to guess which garage local to the client won't fleece you. With a directory that would be easier BUT ONLY if the trade members supplied the contacts rather than it being an advertising page for cowboys who spend too much time online and not enough fixing cars. Good people don't advertise which is always a problem for distance repairs.

A 'we're all in it together' attitude. The dealers local to us compete directly with us and by and large we all get on really well, buy from the same sources and use the same trades all in the name of grabbing the same customers. We should hate each other but we don't because we're in it together to an extant and all understand what a crap week of aftersales issues and phonecalls can be like. It can be a lonely and soul destroying game this so a bit of camaraderie (which this forum brings) goes a long way IMO.

A website for the trade body where my cars get autofed to. If i'm a member and that's a good thing then I want my stock fed to a website so any potential punters know. I want it to be on the main trade body page with a tab that says something like 'vehicles from our approved members' or some similar BS. That way if I get one sale a year out of the membership it has paid for itself and I don't have to convince my partner it's not a waste of money and more than a d**k rubbing membership.

So that's what I would want. 

My reason is that I used to be in the antiques game and PROPER dealers were members of LAPADA. If you wanted a clock it was 3k but from a LAPADA member it was 4k. You always bought the 4K one though because they were a LAPADA member. LAPADA did most of the above for their members, we're friendly guys and gals, earnt them money by improving their reputation and therefore earnt them money.

It'll take time, money and effort but best of luck guys, I wish you well and hope it gets off the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Having lurked on this one I think fair play to the guys involved for starting something that aims to help the trade.

I wouldn't ever sign up until I started hearing about its benefits on the grapevine and I guess it's a vicious circle because if everyone is like me it's difficult to get it off the ground...well done for starting up something though chaps.

Instead of the sniping that everyone is doing maybe I could add what I would want being a member of a trade body to do for me and see if some answers/suggestions are forthcoming? I want it to be low cost and get big benefits as we all do.

So from a membership I would like:

A big sign, stickers, point of sale etc stating that I am a member to stick on my office and I don't want to pay for them...I would want some included in the membership with the option to purchase bigger better signs, stickers etc.

Support. I want a closed forum the public cannot access that I can post problems and questions to and communicate with people that have experienced said issues before ( I have this already here but another doesn't cost much to start)

The body to actually represent something. To Joe public it will mean nothing for years so I need it to mean something to me. I would want it to show that I am a decent dealer so if I go to court being a member might sway a decision.

A website with relevant trade news (no offence but car dealer magazine focus's too much on franchises and not on us lowly used dealers). I would want to see legal updates and news relating to our business and a section of FAQs for the trade.

A discount on Lawgistics because frankly they have been useful for us and, whatever your opinion of them, represent our trade. 

Discounts on other suppliers such as keytag, movex, euros, etc.

A directory where only traders that have used a service can upload contacts for upholsterers, smart paint, electrical guys etc...this is a thing I would launch myself if I was any good with computers. You sell a car to someone 100 miles away, the EML flashes up two days later and you have to guess which garage local to the client won't fleece you. With a directory that would be easier BUT ONLY if the trade members supplied the contacts rather than it being an advertising page for cowboys who spend too much time online and not enough fixing cars. Good people don't advertise which is always a problem for distance repairs.

A 'we're all in it together' attitude. The dealers local to us compete directly with us and by and large we all get on really well, buy from the same sources and use the same trades all in the name of grabbing the same customers. We should hate each other but we don't because we're in it together to an extant and all understand what a crap week of aftersales issues and phonecalls can be like. It can be a lonely and soul destroying game this so a bit of camaraderie (which this forum brings) goes a long way IMO.

A website for the trade body where my cars get autofed to. If i'm a member and that's a good thing then I want my stock fed to a website so any potential punters know. I want it to be on the main trade body page with a tab that says something like 'vehicles from our approved members' or some similar BS. That way if I get one sale a year out of the membership it has paid for itself and I don't have to convince my partner it's not a waste of money and more than a d**k rubbing membership.

So that's what I would want. 

My reason is that I used to be in the antiques game and PROPER dealers were members of LAPADA. If you wanted a clock it was 3k but from a LAPADA member it was 4k. You always bought the 4K one though because they were a LAPADA member. LAPADA did most of the above for their members, we're friendly guys and gals, earnt them money by improving their reputation and therefore earnt them money.

It'll take time, money and effort but best of luck guys, I wish you well and hope it gets off the ground.

Grant, what you are asking for in a forum is exactly what the IMDA offers, join the IMDA forum, it is a closed forum, no public just trade only.

14 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Grant, what you are asking for in a forum is exactly what the IMDA offers, join the IMDA forum, it is a closed forum, no public just trade only.

The thing is though its a very quiet forum, since the launch of the IMDA on the 5th, there's been very little to no activity since Tuesday....

Motortrademe still offering themselves as a viable business ( after being dissolved) with an JOINING fee to the IMDA of only £35 per month + VAT.  As they say only £420 = VAT year.... This is a dissolved company offering free membership to the IMDA.

https://www.motortrade.me/membership

15 hours ago, jimreidvehicle said:

Arfur

Jim

https://www.motortrade.me/membership

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:18 AM, RH Trading said:

Hi Gents, any updates on this? @umesh@cheshirecars@jimreidvehicle@Philip Nothard keen to see if I can take advantage of discounts, happy to pay but don't know what for?

thanks

Rob

Looks like they have been hacked they have now rremoved it. It was a parody to YMCA complete with a song about Independents, if they havent been hacked I would seriously consider not joining this association if that is what they would be spending their time and our money doing. Sorry I do have a sense of humour but I dont see what value that would bring to my business. Seems very self indulgent to me. May be one of them will come back to thier own thread and confirm either way? 

Come on! Who doesn’t like The Village People? If they’d been hacked then someone had gone to a lot of bother - personally I’d of left it, it made a refreshing change from the norm :lol: