Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Best Jump pack

I have a snap-on portable power 1700. It has to be constantly charged otherwise it’s useless

Can anyone recommend a jump pack that’ll turn over a tank. Fed up with buying jump packs which don’t work consistently 

I found that jump packs are only any use for cars will a low battery getting moved around a garage, they’re not really suitable for us traders who go out to a car & the battery’s been dead for a fortnight.

That sort of work murders jump packs & if you look on the back of the Snap-On it says something along the lines of ‘crank for 5 seconds then leave for 3 minutes’ and they’re really only fit for cranking over a medium sized engine/battery combination.

In the end, after going through a jump pack every 18 months, I bought a 5mtr set of thick cable jump leads. They’re about £70-80, never fail, never need charging, will outlive you & as long as you can get a car within 5mtrs you’ll be fine. So much bloody easier.

Got 2 of them and never had an issue with either. Start all but the biggest engined cars.

ive never spent more than £100 on a jump pack and was always frightened of getting them nicked and obviously borrowed and abused whilst away with it (can i just borrow that mate to start my aeroplane kind of guys)

anyway

my solution is to take a new battery just fitted off the focus i scrapped take the short jump leads off a failed jump pack get some battery clamps and fit these to the battery,place a stick with cable ties through the carry handle secure with tie clips and attach the crocodile clips to the wood  so they dont short

you are now ready to sit a proper battery in any car and can leave it there usually while you crank till the cows come home

Snap on for me, does battery's from stone flat no problem but cost about £500

10 minutes ago, s and b said:

ive never spent more than £100 on a jump pack and was always frightened of getting them nicked and obviously borrowed and abused whilst away with it (can i just borrow that mate to start my aeroplane kind of guys)

anyway

my solution is to take a new battery just fitted off the focus i scrapped take the short jump leads off a failed jump pack get some battery clamps and fit these to the battery,place a stick with cable ties through the carry handle secure with tie clips and attach the crocodile clips to the wood  so they dont short

you are now ready to sit a proper battery in any car and can leave it there usually while you crank till the cows come home

Post a picture !!

16 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Post a picture !!

15 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Post a picture !!

anyway

$(KGrHqN,!i0E8W+5vGi9BPSSqoHcU!--60_58.JPG

Clarke Jumpstart 4000. Used it for around a year now, never let me down. Circa £130 from machine mart

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I have a snap-on portable power 1700. It has to be constantly charged otherwise it’s useless

Can anyone recommend a jump pack that’ll turn over a tank. Fed up with buying jump packs which don’t work consistently 

they dont last long but why not just replace the battery there is a company called beal uk and they do whats called a bat40 which is bigger battery than the standard snap on one but fits in the same hole same fixings ect its a simple change, its about £40 plus vat we just replace ours every year and it works just fine for another year then you notice it starts to struggle time to change it again. 

edit that if your going to do it let me check the bat number before you order. 

Another vote for the Clarke 4000 from me.

Thing will start anything no matter how dead it seems and the leads are long enough to reach most battery locations.

Good value bit of kit imo

ive had bad luck with the clark ones .. left one in a car and blew the pcb on another one

just bought a half decent one from Halfords of all places £45 seems to do the job well

Snap on , but did have issue similar to that mentioned where it had to be on charge all the time and then wouldn’t start a 3 litre diesel , spoke to Snap on man he took it away had new battery fitted and its spot on , weird instructions say Leave on charge on the time told don’t keep it on charge all time - so now we don’t keep it on charge all the time and seems ok ! Battery was changed probably 8/10 months ago. Cost circa 300 ish 

Had s Sealey when I 1st started cost me 150 lasted me about 12/13 years best ever never let me down , had couple of others after that all disaster hence Snap on. 

GYS 12/24volt, have our's now a couple of years and never any problems. A bit big and heavy is the only downside.

Think it was around £275 inc vat

Edited by Anndale

10 hours ago, tradex said:

First cold snaps here, then;)

We have a large Jaguar battery and good (thick) jump leads which is still (for us) the best solution....it's on a sack barrow so mobile.

The one I have in my van is an Flea bay £45 quid Lithium Ion pack. Took a chance on it and it's actually very good and has even started a 4 litre Cherokee from cold.

Exactly what i do. Huge battery from a 7 series BMW and a sack barrow with jump leads. Starts everything

i have a good old starter / charger, plugs in mains, bloody deadly thing, pops my rcds :lol: turn everything else off inside  before turning to start position :rolleyes:

frightens the life out of me, its started tractors, fork lifts, flick it to 24v for the wagon that stalled in my yard and it once blew apart a starter motor on a clonker , bloody deadly thing ! but when your rushing round and your stuck etc :unsure:

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

My 7 series battery was nearly new. Another garage condemmed it and he asked me to replace it so my cost was 0 :)

On 04/11/2017 at 0:00 PM, tradex said:

First cold snaps here, then;)

We have a large Jaguar battery and good (thick) jump leads which is still (for us) the best solution....it's on a sack barrow so mobile.

The one I have in my van is an Flea bay £45 quid Lithium Ion pack. Took a chance on it and it's actually very good and has even started a 4 litre Cherokee from cold.

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I'm thinking one of these little lithium jump packs might fit nicely in my bag of stuff to take when collecting a car to drive home. Is it still going strong? Been watching a video of a guy in Alaska jump starting half a dozen cars from dead with one of these. Considering the size and convenience of carrying it's difficult not to be impressed?

Cut the leads of your snap on jump pack, put eyelet terminals on them, get a decent size car battery and drill and thread the terminals 6mm. Bolt the two leads to the appropriate terminals on the battery. Best jump pack you will ever have and cost less than £80

Edited by Cruise

16 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

This is great. Although I’ve only had to use it a few times. Comes ina nice little case too  

Car Jump starter, Picowe 1000A Peak Ampere Portable Jump Starter Pack Full Support ALL G...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07125GSZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_mi22Ab...

I'd always dismissed these portable jump packs as Halford 'gimmicks', but they are serious bits of kit. Although it's clearly down to battery technology advancing massively in the last few years