Sign in to follow this  
XFS

Which 7 seat SUV ?

I need to get a 7 seat SUV for the winter. The 7 seats and carrying capacity are the biggest factor.

A Land Rover Discovery is the obvious choice but they don't seem to go 5 minutes without breaking down. I need reliability as I,ll be in Europe and have an 1800 mile drive to get to my winter digs. They are also pricy.

An X5 would be fine, I,m familiar with an X5 and know how to buy them, but it's not a great 7 seater. Not very keen on Q7,s for some reason and it would cost 20k for a decent one. A Volvo XC90 seems good value. I can get a high spec 50/60k mile 2012 model for 14k. I,ve never even looked at one though. Are they good? Around 15k, under 80k miles and no older than 10 plate is where I want to be.

Any thoughts?

Half decent cars, I sell older ones & they seem to take the miles ok. Don’t expect them to handle like a Ferrari though. I’m guessing you don’t want a family bus like a Galaxy?

I ran an R320 CDI AMG Sport 4 Matic for 18 months, loads of space and very refined. Can’t recommend it highly enough:)

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I ran an R320 CDI AMG Sport 4 Matic for 18 months, loads of space and very refined. Can’t recommend it highly enough:)

X5's are always going wrong avoid.

Got to be a disco if you ask me. 10 plates are usually the best, GS spec in silver. I find them perfect at 82000 miles with history. 'Yes, but where can you find such beauty at ten bangs of sand?' I here you ask. Well, this could be your lucky day.......

Father in law and neighbour both run XC90's and both have had nothing but issues from new. Faulty power steering, handbrakes that even Volvo couldn't fix for a while and other bits and pieces. We're not talking wear and tear stuff, these were all issues built into the cars and ECU. Had to get one recovered from France because it didn't like cold weather. Avoid IMO.

Theres a 2011 

MERCEDES-BENZ R CLASS R350L CDI

going through Manheim Birmingham (listers trade only) on the 1st....

R350 is a good shout but I want a SUV. 

I,ve always found X5's reliable.

A Disco certainly tickets all the boxes the best, maybe I,ll take a chance but it would need to be HSE spec, so may have to up the budget to 20k. That should by me a decent 11 plate with 60k up

19 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

R350 is a good shout but I want a SUV. 

Take one out for a test drive....

R350 drives great, very comfy bus. Just not what I need. 

I had a 2008 Q7 for 5 years... very reliable! In that time, nothing at all went wrong!!! 

I used it for transporting too! Towing all over the country, often with a Range Rover sport on the back on the trailer and it towed like a dream! 

My mother has had every generation disco and I have driven all. I find the Q7 a much better car! 

My q7 was also used as the school bus! 

I seriously can’t praise them enough! 

19 hours ago, Paulusk2z said:

I had a 2008 Q7 for 5 years... very reliable! In that time, nothing at all went wrong!!! 

I used it for transporting too! Towing all over the country, often with a Range Rover sport on the back on the trailer and it towed like a dream! 

My mother has had every generation disco and I have driven all. I find the Q7 a much better car! 

My q7 was also used as the school bus! 

I seriously can’t praise them enough! 

I think the Q7 is probably the most sensible option, but I just don't like them for some reason...never have. The newer ones are more attractive, but originally it's like Audi set out to make the most visually unappealing car they could, which is strange I,m usually a big fan of Audi,s style.

I've got an 08 xc90 se lux, approaching 170k miles.  Great car, all the toys you need and if I take it easy I can get indicated 40mpg on a run.  Hasn't really needed much other than routine maintenance... would recommend based on my own experience. 

Lucky you! I’m currently smoking a 2.9 turbo petrol T6 & get 19mpg.