Sign in to follow this  
D&M

Card Payments - Pros & Cons

Hello All,

We've just decided to go for a card machine, we don't expect to take a huge amount of card payments so have gone for a Barclaycard Anywhere card machine so we don't pay a monthly fee, we just charge a fixed % on the amount.

We initially thought to go for it to be able to accept a small deposit on a car in case the buyer is not able to make a bank transfer or has any cash, possibly to encourage a snap decision to leave a deposit. This deposit would hold the car for X days until the buyer could bank transfer the balance.

But, we've now been thinking about accepting card payments for the entire balance.

Just weighting up the pros and pitfalls to do this.

Has anyone had any experience?

Advice and opinions are gratefully received!

Good option to have. No everyone can afford their new car outright. Credit cards come in handy and can create a sale u may not have otherwise enjoyed

Don't take credit cards, even for a deposit, any probs with car and credit card company can just take all the money back off you and give it back to Customer .

Yes and you can guess the sort of person who knows their rights with regards to Section 75 - exactly the sort of person who’d invoke it for the slightest reason!

Same as tradex never had an issue on some lumpy stuff I do charge a percentage towards merchant charges as these can soon mount up 

I take credit cars. If you sell decent cars and you look after folk you don't have anything to worry about.

We have only ever had one CC issue and that was when a card provider got in touch to ask for some further info regarding a Rav4 which had developed a fault. Engine had failed big time after 4/5 months iirc and it was an older Rav. The owner of the rav never even got in touch with us only his CC company. They actually completely found in our favour and no action was taken. 

I will continue to take CC payments and will continue to sleep easy.

No problem taking credit cards here either, if your cars are right customer won't be disatisfied anyway, we have been passing on the charge to customer for now but can't do that come January with the new law coming in.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and offer your insight.

It's very helpful - not just this post, we've picked up some very useful advice from here along the way!

So, at this time, we are allowed to charge the customer the same % charge that we are charged? But that is due to change next year?

We do our PDI's on the Lawgistics stationary, (so it's thorough!) to protect ourselves from any comeback anyway so will continue to do so.

Also, I think we have a good eye and a good head... If a car comes in as Part EX, or we buy something iffy (i.e: Anti Pollution Peugeot Fault!) - we will either sell it as a faulty car or dispose of it at auction. No point selling a car at a good price then having to shell out £££ every month to an unhappy customer!

We've been up and running from home since March, and have sold over 50 cars and have only had 2 complaints so I think we are doing well!

1st was a Focus C-Max with a corroded A/C pipe - not covered in any way but we paid for the part as goodwill (did we get any thanks?! - What do you think?)

2nd was a Golf FSI with an EGR Valve the went faulty - Again, this wasn't covered in the warranty paperwork but we covered the cost of the part (did we get any thanks?! Take a wild guess!)

We had a customer went to credit card company to get her money back. 

We had the car, we fully checked, found no faults. She left it with us for months. We also did a report for the credit card company  

Finally got hold of her, and it turns out the card company had refunded her..... but, and I assume they got our report, they then took the refund back off her! 

Cost us nothing! Just make sure you reply to credit card company queries when you get them. 

call me old fashioned but if a customer needs to spend £2000 on a car on a credit card then it says to me they are living beyond their means and thus highly likely to invoke section 75

i would not go down this route no matter how much faith i have in all my checks as cars are still lumps of bits that can go broken in the wrong hands

1 hour ago, s and b said:

call me old fashioned but if a customer needs to spend £2000 on a car on a credit card then it says to me they are living beyond their means and thus highly likely to invoke section 75

i would not go down this route no matter how much faith i have in all my checks as cars are still lumps of bits that can go broken in the wrong hands

Some of the deals are quite good though for customers, 0% interest for 18 months etc.

If the buyer is sensible then using a credit card can be a clever way to buy even if they have got funds available... Its the people that want finance on a 2k car i worry about.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, s and b said:

Tell you what the dispute I had with the one on CC went far more in my favour than the 3 refunds I have given on finance deals due to utter nonsense. 

Don't lose out on sales. Put the minimum obstacles in the way of selling cars.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with credit cards in 18 years of having a card machine.

Moral of the story to me though is if you have a customer who you think could be a total pain in the arse and wants to pay by credit card , just say no.

If I have a customer come in and I think they could be future trouble, i just dont sell them a car

Even with a cash sale we do choose our customers!

We've now got our card machine - so just waiting for our first car payment customer... Typical that we have people asking about card payments when we don't have a machine... When we do, where are they?!

• Like 1

quote =  some shoppers are finding credit card firms are rejecting Section 75 claims because the retailer they bought from used a third-party payment-processing firm to collect their payment – and there's widespread confusion about how these rules apply.

any thoughts ? are any of you with third party processing firms ?