DBDlloyds

Using a Dolly Car Trailer

Good morning all,

I am a one man band that started earlier in the year and am really struggling with logistics. I have found a really good mechanic and body repairer but the are 12 miles from my house. This makes it really difficult to drop off and collect cars. I have also started looking at the odd private car to buy and it would be great to take the car there and then. Taxi fairs are really expensive so I need another solution.

My question is do any of you use a dolly and are they legal. Also concerned about the implications when using one with my traders insurance.

Many thanks Dean.

Dollies are legal, A-frames aren’t unless the trailer (vehicle being towed) is under 750kg.

Insurance policy queries should be directed to your insurer.

Thanks very much...

Just had a lot of conflicting info. I will ring my Insurance company later...I have a feeling I know what the answer will be.

I preferred an A-frame too until many years ago I was ‘pulled’ one night and received 3 points & a fixed penalty. The next day it was on an eBay auction raffles off to the highest bidder.

Just now, BHM said:

I preferred an A-frame too until many years ago I was ‘pulled’ one night and received 3 points & a fixed penalty. The next day it was on an eBay auction raffled off to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

Agree so much poor info out there regarding these, i used to use a great dolly had brakes ect when i bought mine armitage was one of the best brands not sure if it still is, only problem i found with them was there where a nightmare to reverse with, after getting stuck a few times i went on a towing weekend course and bought a trailer and an old rat bag of a shogun job done.

Hi Dean

12 miles away !,that could be a 3 hour round trip.When you start doing 2 or 3 per week,it is too far because you will have 3 or 4 in prep also.I would look round for a 'gopher' now,there will be someone,a friend of a friend who may be retired who needs to get out more etc.You could ask local taxi drivers which workshops they use.As for Dollies,never used them,I have never seen a good trader who uses one.

Wow guys,

Thanks for going to the effort in finding the relevant info... I think this pretty much answers the question for me.

Such a shame as I thought I had a solution to my logistics challenge.

Thanks again,

Regards Dean.

Tbh Trade Vet is correct. When I sacked off mine years ago I found it so much easier arranging things properly, occasionally spending a little money to get cars moved but time is our biggest enemy and that’s why he said decent traders don’t bother with them. 

Also messing about on the road in winter lashing on a vehicle, sweating every time you see a police car and then getting pissy wet again unlashing it just isn’t worth the time or hassle. I’m guessing you don’t want a big car trailer so if you can’t switch over cars then get a pensioner to follow you, hire a local transporter lad on a pound note basis, etc. or get a fold-up pushbike.

Would it not be worth investing in a 3.5 ton recovery truck ?

If you are picking enough cars up it could pay for itself in no time.

• Like 1

Hi BHM, I quite fancy the bike thing in the summer.. ha ha

Max, Only started this year so working from home with ltd space so not enough cars to warrant the expense.. Also its where I could keep it. Thanks anyway.

Dean,

A Frames and Dolly's are good for occasional use but I would not risk carrying anything worth money on either of these.

We now have two single car transporters and have £25K coverage for the collection and delivery of vehicles (I must say this adds a fair whack onto your insurance).

We use them for our own stock vehicles but also have contracts in place with local garages and fill in any empty back loads with websites such as Movex.

Who ever you choose make sure he has the right insurance as there's too many bent people using 3.5t transporters on a standard VAN policy.

Banger PX cars mate. Keep them the ones that are like £100 that run and drive. Leave 1 at bodyshop. Leave 1 at MOT. Just always swap them around so somethings always knocking about. Makes life so much easier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Plus 1

Just don't leave one at Blackbush....our's got stolen years ago.

Key left in bizzare place too, who would think to look in the ignition? 

Not worth claiming for. 

Are you sure it was stolen? Blackbushe probably put it back through the week after :lol:

If you asked them about it, you'd probably get the same old excuse - 'Well sir, we have such a large volume of cars coming through, mistakes do happen!'

3 things

if you use a dolly type vehicle so two wheels of carried car are on the highway then this car needs to be taxed and mot

i once lost a car off a dolly ,fortunately i was going slow and it was a residential street with few cars,ive never used one since

i was coming down the a1 a few years back and a deer ran in front of me now you can say what you want but when hit with that situation you brake and brake violently ,it was big enough to kill,anyway i managed to get rounds it with minimum drama because the clio i was moving at the time was securly strapped on the back of my transit,i shudder to think what would have happened if i was in a car/van with any kind of car suspended on the back

facepalm is always full of wannabe recovery drivers use the best one offer him plenty of work and negotiate

Cheers S & B. 

I have defiantly put the idea of a Dolly out of my head now...

Thanks for reply.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

So long ago they had a VIP restaurant.:D

"if you use a dolly type vehicle so two wheels of carried car are on the highway then this car needs to be taxed and mot"

My understanding is that the 'tow' is treated as a trailer, thereby it is one unit, but all axles of a 750kg 'trailer' need to braked.

But, as soon as you unhitch on the highway then the usual caveats apply of MOT and Tax.

I concur that driving with a loaded Dolly or A frame is not something that fillls me with joy.

Agree. With a car on an Aframe you've effectively got an 'overweight' unbraked trailer. Plod could take you to a weighbridge if he wanted. 

The big issue is that many of us have grown up with using these things and staying under the radar if we were sensible. But these days plod is far happier putting their focus of attention on these 'minor' traffic violations rather than chasing bank robbers Sweeney style, and who can blame them?

Also, I hate towing anything

I looked at this in depth on Monday, my Pug Expert can tow 2.3 T on a Braked trailer with no load in Van, but there is Tools Jack etc, probably 100kg was going to take my mates trailer to pick up a Car but deal fell through.

The Car was a small 1660kg Roadster, MB SLK R170,  Braked Trailer weighed 500 kg, so that was close, anything over 1700kg would be a no no :(

Even a 7.5 tonner Recovery truck will not legally carry a big 4x4 / SUV etc, that's why I had the 12 tonne IVECO when I had the gearbox firm ;)

Oh, and if you are using a 4x4 with Trailer for Motor Trade purposes you need a Tacho and all the hassle that creates :(

On 19/10/2017 at 10:19 AM, tradex said:

Plus 1

Just don't leave one at Blackbush....our's got stolen years ago.

Key left in bizzare place too, who would think to look in the ignition? 

Not worth claiming for. 

Think we borrowed that one and left it at Notts BCA , might still be there too :)

On 10/19/2017 at 7:31 AM, BHM said:

Dollies are legal, A-frames aren’t unless the trailer (vehicle being towed) is under 750kg.

Insurance policy queries should be directed to your insurer.

Actually your wrong - A frames are not illegal even if the weight is over 750kg. However all wheels have to be able to use its brakes. Also if there are brakes on an axle (doesn’t matter if it’s less than 750kg) then they have to work when using the A-Frame.

7 hours ago, Our-Soles said:

Actually your wrong - A frames are not illegal even if the weight is over 750kg. However all wheels have to be able to use its brakes. Also if there are brakes on an axle (doesn’t matter if it’s less than 750kg) then they have to work when using the A-Frame.

R-Soles surely?

• Haha 1