Gavin@Rousdon

CAP or Glass's

Which do people prefer? And which is the most reliable considering sometimes there can be £1000 - £1500 difference between the two!!

When buying at auction I find CAP to be the more accurate with the ex-lease cars I buy, which I guess should be the case as BCA seem to prefer CAP. Come P/EX time I check both and try to use the lowest as a start point (Normally CAP) check what sort of price the car will retail for, by then it's about 50/50 with Glass's becoming a slightly more realistic guide.

I know they are only 'guide' prices and we realisticly know our own market prices but with sometimes such a large difference we can easierly take in a 'bargin' p/x or a very expensive p/x.

Also no idea what Glass's are thinking with their 'High' 'Average' & 'Low' prices (other then to copy CAP) as sometimes a 'Low'  prices is only £50 below their given 'Trade' price !!!!

In answer to the Glass's grading question, they have the three grades and a normal 'trade' price.  The trade price is the price for the expected condition of a car of that age, so for a 6 month old car it will be pretty much the same as the top grade, but for a 10 year old 120k mile car it will be nearer the bottom grade as that's where most cars will be by the time they reach that age and mileage.

Is anyone using any other pricing tools - Deltapoint or the system from CDL for example?

The Glass's sales man was nicer than the CAP one, couldn't think of another way to separate. Its all about the person on the day, as i believe most deals are the same. If you instantly dislike someone you won't buy from them. 

I must admit, the first place is ebay and then Autotrader for price check, with the little black books as a back up. 

Doesn't look very cool at the auction with a laptop checking prices!

interesting debate that keeps coming round and round! recently discussed on #TCD

Think we're all baffled what a cars are actually worth and having the confidence in which guide is right or wrong (if any)

I use Glass's - only because I feel confident that it more accurate for ME, having said that I will also check on deltapoint ..just to compare and If I'm really, really not sure CAP on line and Autotrader to see what the retail value is ..but looking on AT is even more confusing as we all know.

ALL give conflicting info ,here is a example

Audi A3 Tdi S Line Quattro 2008 GG £7500 CAP Clean £8575 Deltapoint £9300 closest match on AT £ 10350 ...So who would pay what in this situation?

That's a massive difference on this car!

There seem to be some huge variations between the two books at present.  As an example I valued this car this morning as part exchange.  2011/ 11 Peugeot RCZ GT THP 200 with 14k miles CAP Clean: £13,950, Glass's Trade: £16,272.  That's over £2300 difference between the two books.  For comparison a look on Ebay or Autotrader will show similar cars advertised at around the £13,995 to £14,500 mark.  So to me the true trade value somewhere in the £12k's.  It happens the other way round too.  A recent valuation on a Range Rover Sport showed CAP to be over £3k more than Glass's.  With all the data that is available to them how can both books be getting it so wrong?

Another issue it that the books/guides can be almost out of date once they are issued to the trade. I imagine December's guide would have been completed by mid December so therefore come the end of January its data is 6 weeks old at least and takes no account trading conditions at the current time, the start of January was busy but now it's gone a little quiet, I'm sure February's guide will reflect the busy time not the quite time.

I guess that is why they are trying to sell us 'live' products such as Deltapoint but these product can only reflect the asking price on sites such as AT and ebay I guess and not the true selling price (unless you use AT invoicing system).

I carry an iPad with me at the auctions (with 3G internet anywhere) and BCA provide CAP values in the PDF version of their catalogues. For main dealer part exes (which is what we buy mostly) CAP is a lot more accurate for the trade price and this is what I use. Same for part exchanges but for the last two years we also do WeBuyAnyCar valuation just to make sure that our customer always gets more than WBAC quoted. Setting the selling price is a lot harder and is a combination of CAP Retail, Deltapoint and looking at the Autotrader values in our area. 

By the way: Do you round-up your prices on AT for example £5000 rather then £4995? We've been doing it for years (rounding up or down) and it works well. 

Nick

Hi a year on from when this started.

Whats your thoughts in todays climate? As I am finding hard going to purchase at Cap or Glass guide prices.

Then we have problem with AT telling you that the selling price is £750 below what you paid. Someone must be thousands out of pocket.

Must admit I always try to sell at Glass if i can as we are all business to earn a living not just to turn over stock. And I like many others check what similar vehicles in my area are up for sale on AT.

Perhaps I should buy off AT and sell on Motors, Or Buy off AT and sell at auction. Food for thought.

Jim

what do manhielm group use on there catalogs ? , thats not a bad guide but not as good as checking real time live sales

Glasses for us, but reality check against prices on AT first to work out how much I could sell for, then work backwards to find how much I should buy for,