Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Dodgy Japanese Metal

Now i'll admit I had never heard of KOBE Steel, my knowledge of Japanese industrials is only so-so, but it seems they are the latest to do a naughty and rig their figures...

Strength and durability figures have been doctored. 

Who are KOBE steel and why is it relevant? 

Toyota, Mazda, Honda all have panels made by them so we're potentially looking at rot boxes for years to come. Something to be aware of, especially if it turns out that their steel is used to make the vehicle shells rather than just replaceable panels.

I already avoid older Mazdas because we all know how well they survive, especially on the coast where we are, but now in a couple of years it might be worth re considering the newer stuff too.

I have no idea...so far they are saying it's just doors and bonnets but last week they were saying it was all fine and dandy so who knows...

Toyota do love a recall though so might be a fun one to watch

The last year or so I've again started looking under the cars checking for rot (as opposed to just surface rust). We all know about Mazda 6s but X-Types aren't much better, them old S-Types weren't much better, some Toyotas seem crusty & have you ever looked at a mint Suzuki SX4? They'll be mint on top but underneath absolute scrap.

"Kobe Steel said on Sunday that employees had altered inspection certificates on aluminum and copper products to make it look as if they met manufacturing specifications required by customers, when in fact they did not."

Not a lot of copper cars out there and no mention of iron-based products being faulty... yet..., so little problem with corrosion I would think.

Although, I suspect this story still has a few laps to run.

6 hours ago, BHM said:

The last year or so I've again started looking under the cars checking for rot (as opposed to just surface rust). We all know about Mazda 6s but X-Types aren't much better, them old S-Types weren't much better, some Toyotas seem crusty & have you ever looked at a mint Suzuki SX4? They'll be mint on top but underneath absolute scrap.

The XF's will be next on Jag's list of rot boxes, some are looking very suspect already...

7 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

"Kobe Steel said on Sunday that employees had altered inspection certificates on aluminum and copper products to make it look as if they met manufacturing specifications required by customers, when in fact they did not."

Not a lot of copper cars out there and no mention of iron-based products being faulty... yet..., so little problem with corrosion I would think.

Although, I suspect this story still has a few laps to run.

copper in wiring looms ? few years time any amount of gremlins ?

A bit back same thing with copper cable, poor quality, not enough copper in the wire,

[ copper has a higher melt point] thousands of houses, schools, hospitals, wired with this stuff, there is no law that electricians have to record where they purchased and where they fitted a particular cable, one of the big diy chains kept selling it long after they were warned. google atlas kablo and homebase :unsure: