Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Getting our own back.....

Guy calls yesterday morning, says he wants to buy and he agrees he will pay a paypal deposit to me with 10 mins ( I sent him the invoice ). Anyway, 2 hours later nothing has arrived and he's not answering the phone, I try him again later in the afternoon, he's not responding....

Anyway the car sold last night, substantial deposit received by transfer.....Job done.

This morning, I wake up to three emails from the non-payer asking numerous stupid questions and why isn't his car still advertised. He doesn't mention anything about not paying the promised deposit..

This in my response.......

"Andy, I waited patiently for your deposit (you assured me it’ll arrive within 10mins). As you already know, you didn’t pay neither did you show me the courtesy to tell me you weren’t going to or able to pay. I really don’t appreciate you lying to me. Politeness and courtesy costs nothing.

As you can see the listing has ended and the car has sold to a Gent who keeps to his word. 

Kindest Regards"
:)

Hahaha, beautiful, it's lovely to give a metaphorical two fingered salute to one of the too many lying, disrespectful *********. Unfortunately it'll go straight over their head - he missed because of the failings of the nasty car dealer.

If he gives the usual pitiful/abusive response please do us the courtesy of reading it :lol: Honestly, I hate about 50% of the scum looking for a new motor ******* us about.

Edited by Becca Chaplin
Edited for inappropriate language.

I did something similar at the start of the year, but then the guy was on the phone screaming at me and i twigged i only give him my personal account not the business one, and he had indeed paid the deposit as promised. 

Thankfully i hadnt sold the car so i got away with a very big slice of humble pie and a full tank of fuel for the customer. 

Clearly a case of to much to do and rushing around like a fool day. 

Guys, I am just finding out the lack of common courtesy from the general public. 

To be fair my experience in my previous life was in B2B so if someone changed their mind or needed to cancel an appointment you were kept in formed.

Had a quiet month so far and arranged a viewing of a car Sunday. Changed my plans for the day in order to meet the commitment to my potential customer. You guessed it never turned up or replied to texts...

Arfur, I absolutely love your business model, but unfortunately as new to this I am selling at the cheaper end of the market so not sure if it would work. Having said that I am going to ask people to text me confirmation of the viewing 2 hours in advance to at least give me time to rearrange my day.

Regards Dean.

Dean, unfortunately if you think the answer to the some of  public's discourtesy is accepting texts from them & rearranging your day on the strength of a text message then you'll soon be disappointed.

• Like 1

Its just a lack of respect and ignorance, Had one yesterday appointment booked for 2.00 on Tiguan........ by 3.30 they are a no show.

about this time lovely couple walk on the pitch and 20 mins later buy the Tiguan, come 5:10 my original appointment walks in and I give him the news its sold. 

He asks why didn't I ring him to before I sold it to tell him someone else was on it...... Well sir most likely the same reason you didn't ring me to say you were either busy.... or most likely you couldn't be bothered.

BHM,

I am sure you are right ha ha, I think I need to go on a course of how to lower my expectations of people.

From the the very start you guys said I wild need a thick skin, and boy you were right...

Cheers.

I,ve been trading again for a couple of years now, having been a full time car dealer previously in pre internet days.

I am going to quit for the winter and move to the sun for a few months an reassess. It's just been so quiet and my search for suitable premises has so far been a time consuming waste.

I did finish (well just about finish...still got 3 to move on) on a high note though. A couple of weeks ago a couple wanted to buy a £7400 car, said they were going on holiday and would collect in 10 days. £200 non- refundable deposit taken. 10 days later woman phones me and claims major financial crisis and can't pay. Fair enough. It's actually the first time I,ve had a sale fall through after a deposit was taken. I thought the car was a bit cheap so I readvertised at £7700. Within 48 hours I sold it for £7700 with the customer paying on the spot and driving away. I'm £500 up on the original deal. It's difficult not to smile.

the simplest line is ask customer to phone before they set off

you then wait like chamberlin waiting 

if no call comes then either forget them, sell to someone else, or just go home at your usual time

if not this job will do your nut in and ive seen enough traders in my time go doolally

Tell them to call when setting off is important.

The car is for sale until it is sold and has a decent deposit on it . 

Never cancel other viewings because you have someone else who has called up about it, they can all turn up and view.

Whats with people who call up about a car at 08:30/9am Monday morning to ask if such and such car is available. Seeming really eager.

So what time will you be out to see it then?

Oh probably Saturday or Sunday.....

Whats the point.... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, tradex said:

yup, always ask when leaving, helps so much.

If you have a site it's not too important per se as we are open regardless, within reason...we maybe going for a jog.;)

But I guess, if working from home, and a one man band, this could get expensive. You can't be in two places at once. Joe Public will never get the logic of that.

We never, ever go back after we have locked up for the "I'm desperate and need a car today" idiot....what he means is I'm desperate to kick some tyres or I'll get cold turkey.

I learned that the hard way.

Used to leave me in a right bad mood if I went back or hung around for them just to not show up or turn up and then say they had more to look at quite late in an evening. They genuinely did not car if I had done a long day so I just avoid that situation now. If we have a deposit we will stay back, if not come during the 8am -7pm beyond reasonable hours we open plus we are here 7 days.

Some of you guys must have the patience of saints. I couldn't deal with these people, I would be sectioned in a week or in Jail.

I don't sell anything under 5k and only have low owner, full history, low milage mint cars so people can't catch me out on anything. Luckily most of my customers barely look at the car and a deal rarely takes more than half an hour to complete.

Trade ins go straight to auction. I learned!!  I took a 1 owner low miles 03 plate pug once and decided to retail it as it was so clean.

£1295. Phone was off the hook and emails, texts with all the stupid stuff. I think I had PTSD by lunchtime. First guy came to see it, was over it like a nasty rash, underneath, inside, gave it the mother of all test drives, brake tests, steering tests....2 f*cking hours. Looked at this, checked that... He bid me £1150 because he detected "some wear" in a place that may or may not exist. Normally, I would have told him to go forth simply because he had screwed around for 2 hours, but rather than put myself through that again, I said fine...just take the car and go.

Never again.

I've always found that the potentials that want you to come in on a Sunday or hang on until 7pm are almost always hassle. We sell cars Mon - Sat 9am - 5pm. If you can't/won't take a couple of hours off work or skip a trip to Ikea on Saturday to view then you're not serious about buying IMO. It's a business, not a favours for strangers club. I'd say about 20%-30% of booked appointments don't show anyway.

No texts either...why on earth would you give someone free reign to phone you during your evening off. It's one of my pet hates...always think it looks desperate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XFS said:

Some of you guys must have the patience of saints. I couldn't deal with these people, I would be sectioned in a week or in Jail.

I don't sell anything under 5k and only have low owner, full history, low milage mint cars so people can't catch me out on anything. Luckily most of my customers barely look at the car and a deal rarely takes more than half an hour to complete.

Trade ins go straight to auction. I learned!!  I took a 1 owner low miles 03 plate pug once and decided to retail it as it was so clean.

£1295. Phone was off the hook and emails, texts with all the stupid stuff. I think I had PTSD by lunchtime. First guy came to see it, was over it like a nasty rash, underneath, inside, gave it the mother of all test drives, brake tests, steering tests....2 f*cking hours. Looked at this, checked that... He bid me £1150 because he detected "some wear" in a place that may or may not exist. Normally, I would have told him to go forth simply because he had screwed around for 2 hours, but rather than put myself through that again, I said fine...just take the car and go.

Never again.

XFS, I’m with you....I have no tolerance at all for wasters. 

On 10/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, grant8064 said:

I've always found that the potentials that want you to come in on a Sunday or hang on until 7pm are almost always hassle. We sell cars Mon - Sat 9am - 5pm. If you can't/won't take a couple of hours off work or skip a trip to Ikea on Saturday to view then you're not serious about buying IMO. It's a business, not a favours for strangers club. I'd say about 20%-30% of booked appointments don't show anyway.

No texts either...why on earth would you give someone free reign to phone you during your evening off. It's one of my pet hates...always think it looks desperate.

Because most punters dont want to feel under pressure and want to do these things at their own speed, rather like a visit to the supermarket. Just imagine if you had to book a visit to Asda? Then there's the 'drive by' or sending a mate to look. Only when it passes all these preliminaries are they happy to 'engage' in the ritual dance of negotiations:D

1 hour ago, met said:

Because most punters dont want to feel under pressure and want to do these things at their own speed, rather like a visit to the supermarket. Just imagine if you had to book a visit to Asda?

I get that, it's why we keep appointments flexible. Most commonly an appointment is just tying down a day the potential will be in. But any appointment has to be when we are actually open...bit like Asda really. I have yet to see a supermarket open at 7pm on a Sunday just because some people don't like feeling pressured into buying a pizza.