Sign in to follow this  
Allstars

Never been this dead before

One this week I’m happy with that bearing in mind experienced traders are struggling 

I'm flat out busy... Since I stopped doing cars. 

I have a customers Transporter in for a part conversion that will be finished by Wednesday. Yesterday I bought a 2014 45k mile Transporter ready to be converted and today I took 10% deposit on that van... I've not even bloody started it yet. 

2 hours ago, MrC said:

I'm flat out busy... Since I stopped doing cars. 

I have a customers Transporter in for a part conversion that will be finished by Wednesday. Yesterday I bought a 2014 45k mile Transporter ready to be converted and today I took 10% deposit on that van... I've not even bloody started it yet. 

there's a company near me that does it "van haven". 

I think we should start a thread so we can all see what value stock, how many, where in the country, proper forecourt or selling from home etc.

Think it would be good just to how different we all are.

No idea but got one getting a new fuel pump and other in for a service n valet this week

had a pick up that sold within few days back end of last month tho 

Vans and custom conversions are miles apart in the customer type, a few local garages to me that do what i would call bob the builder vans are dead, lease deals these days are very good so the second hand market is feeling that pressure, Leasing vans makes perfect sense to way more than it does to lease a car. 

2 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Vans and custom conversions are miles apart in the customer type, a few local garages to me that do what i would call bob the builder vans are dead, lease deals these days are very good so the second hand market is feeling that pressure, Leasing vans makes perfect sense to way more than it does to lease a car. 

Don't forget the niche market of guys that buy estate cars and use them as vans;):D

8 hours ago, met said:

How are vans selling at the moment?

They must be selling very well judging by what they are fetching at the block.

8 hours ago, met said:

How are vans selling at the moment?

The guy I bought my latest T5 off on Saturday only deals in clean low mile 3 year old max T5's he told me 99% of his go to conversion companies he has no problem selling and doesn't chip on price. He stopped doing cars about three years ago and has never looked back.

We stock only between 10 and 12 cars. 2 to 5k. Luckily got a couple of excellent main dealers i still buy from. Did 17 in September and similar for October with 3 already ready to go in early November.

Not trying to sound patronising but I am finding that you need to present the car superbly at the mo and it will sell. Also we do try and prep everything mechanically really well and even if it costs more on this car, you may then go on and do repeat business with that customer. All about the long game. Also as much as i despise auto trader, I have found their review system to work well. I ask all my customers to fill it in.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Prices on dealer auction are simply crazy...unless it's being used as a money laundering tool;)

We need some cheaper end starter Clios.

Just seen a tatty black '04 nice miles at 63k 5 door 1.2, in black, 16v needing a ticket (and they never take a ticket we find) with a load of advise notes from previous ticket, needing four boots with all at 2mm, crap history with no cambelt change noted.....and assuming no faults...hmmm

......£713 plus their TIP....how the f*ck you gonna make a margin across that?

I agree.....It appears Desirable cheapies are now bringing more than they would 2 years ago.Late stuff was quiet, so our guys tried to buy some 80k ex fleet 08 1.4 tdci 5dr Fiestas on line last week.We had £1100 each for them ( good money we thought ) and got blown away.With the buyers fees added they were £1500 ?.Meanwhile you can nick late fleet stuff at the moment.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Prices on dealer auction are simply crazy...unless it's being used as a money laundering tool;)

We need some cheaper end starter Clios.

Just seen a tatty black '04 nice miles at 63k 5 door 1.2, in black, 16v needing a ticket (and they never take a ticket we find) with a load of advise notes from previous ticket, needing four boots with all at 2mm, crap history with no cambelt change noted.....and assuming no faults...hmmm

......£713 plus their TIP....how the f*ck you gonna make a margin across that?

It is not helped by the fact that nobody wants to spend any money on their car until it has catastrophically failed somewhere. There are many motorists that are super fussy about a car when they buy it, then avoid spending 'any' money it for whatever reason other than MOT and fuel. Then when its worn smooth, and rougher than a badgers arse they swap it in two weeks before the MOT is due

Loads of horror stories doing the rounds about the rear axles on fiats 500 falling apart after just a few years, they always look like a drip me up car to me so i dont bother with them.

agree with you on the mini front up in the year mini's seem to be bringing only a few pound more than the older ones.

8 hours ago, lastyboy said:

We stock only between 10 and 12 cars. 2 to 5k. Luckily got a couple of excellent main dealers i still buy from. Did 17 in September and similar for October with 3 already ready to go in early November.

Not trying to sound patronising but I am finding that you need to present the car superbly at the mo and it will sell. Also we do try and prep everything mechanically really well and even if it costs more on this car, you may then go on and do repeat business with that customer. All about the long game. Also as much as i despise auto trader, I have found their review system to work well. I ask all my customers to fill it in.

Agree 100%  !

Do the job right - sell proper cars / Prep them well - and its a long term strategy - builds trust and repeat business !! 

• Like 1

Well, this is my last month anyway.

Got 2 to shift.

Anyone want a 58 plate Audi TTS roadster. One owner, full history with less than 34k miles. Black, Red and black leather. In top retail condition. Had it 2 months and not a phone call on it. 

And an S3 in grey. 08, 52k, amazing service history, recent service inc brakes and prop shaft , invoice from Audi for 2.5k! Retail ready.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

This piss 'n panic buying only ever ends in tears. I've even seen good guys go down after a 3 month run of this madness. Giving blood doth not make it a better car, quite the reverse, these bloodsuckers often bite one's arse.

Yes, I understand that if you have a stocking loan one can't sell empty spaces, but I'm sure all the old hands have been here before.

Yep there’s some absolute shite out there at the moment & the trade is ridiculously strong for it. There’ll be plenty of buyers remorse in the coming months - it’ll be interesting to see what late December & January is like.

As for that scrap Clio mentioned above, even if I was in the market for such dross surely a couple of hundred quid should buy the likes of that?

4 hours ago, XFS said:

Well, this is my last month anyway.

Got 2 to shift.

Anyone want a 58 plate Audi TTS roadster. One owner, full history with less than 34k miles. Black, Red and black leather. In top retail condition. Had it 2 months and not a phone call on it. 

What's wrong with it ??!

Just looked up the advert and it looks stunning. 

Sort of thing that should sell within a week of advertising

On 28/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, met said:

I'm buying but they need more work. Got a Focus here that needs a little more paint than I'd like, both front wheelbearings, missing spare wheel and jack, and has just started making a noise from the AC compressor? And I'm still not happy the bearing noise is gone, although I'm suspicious it's a tyre out of shape but we'll see :rolleyes:

.... and after changing both front bearings there's still a noise, here we go. I bet its 'cupped' tyres :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, BHM said:

Yep there’s some absolute shite out there at the moment & the trade is ridiculously strong for it. There’ll be plenty of buyers remorse in the coming months - it’ll be interesting to see what late December & January is like.

As for that scrap Clio mentioned above, even if I was in the market for such dross surely a couple of hundred quid should buy the likes of that?

Given what prices are like at the moment on good stock I'm seriously tempted to take January off. then Feb, maybe March.......

I love a good nickname. That's very good. One of our lot is called Pepsi. Why, because he is married to Shirley:)

12 minutes ago, tradex said:

love it,:D we should have a dealer/painter/valeter/mechanic/keyman/motor factor driver nickname thread.....strangely although I've know lots of these guys for years I still don't don't know their full names, just their first name and job title....Nick Paint

Ha, I know what you mean. Mick paint tech does my smart repairs, squibby does the dents. I'm opening a detailing bay next year with dazzler and I've just had some fencing done by bargain booze. Mrs Sparky thinks it's all a bit weird.

53 minutes ago, tradex said:

Maybe us, but we are seeing (hearing:P) this more and more as owners insist on fitting cheap Chinky ditchfinder tyres.

PPS nothing to do with ingested pints of...well you know that 'story':o

Recently I’ve changed loads of tyres rather than wheel bearings - it seems many of the cheaper brands start deforming once they’re over half worn. I’ve had them with lumps, bumps, one side higher than the other & the treads opening up (if that makes sense). I’m guessing the carcasses are cheap and start failing. 

As for Marc Almond, you’re welcome to a pint of what he’s drinking :lol:

Bought a Zafira yesterday with two cheapo tyres on it, both deformed. The mechanic was switched on enough to realise when I told him it "wasn't like a normal bearing noise"

As for sales it's picked up a bit this end of the month but every deal seems hard fought.