Sign in to follow this  
DBDlloyds

Office With Viewing Area

Hi Guys,

I hope you are all well.

I am looking to move away from trading from home and would just like to see if anybody on here has a similar setup to the one I am looking at.

A local smallholding has converted a building and made it into offices. There will be 4 offices with a communal conference desk for larger meetings.

In the price of £300 I would have the office that is a nice size enough for 2 desks, an area outside in which my customers can come and view the cars by appointment only and a bay in a converted shed to do any prep work required. Along side this parking for 3 cars. It would mean I could keep 5 cars at home and 3 at the office. As some of you will know I am still new to the Car trading business but I can see real potential to move forward. The added benefits are not doing viewings at home and having a nice office to do the paperwork etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep your costs low, beat the competition. logistics will be the issue, moving stuff is always an issue from a2b.... it is for me..

Parking for 3 cars,

17 minutes ago, Dlloyds said:

Along side this parking for 3 cars. It would mean I could keep 5 cars at home and 3 at the office.

What about customer parking? If there are only 3 spaces and you have 3 cars at the office?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. 

Kieran, There would be parking for customers as well.

Arfur... Thanks, its all down to overheads... more overheads = more pressure...

It's £300 from your profit. If it's close to home then fine but as Arfur says it's the time moving a-b.

Time is your biggest enemy, it's ok saying you'll pop down for a viewing but if the punter says 2.30, you really need to be there from 2.00 and jiggling cars about if you're 15 minutes away means even just a car change is half an hour. 

£300 for 3 car spaces & a desk wouldn't get my vote but then I don't know your set-up at home - if you're in a cramped street rather than a large detached property then it may make sense to you.

I used to store cars at a farm 5 mins drive away. £60 a month got me enough space for 10 cars. 

Might be worth knocking on the farmers door

48 minutes ago, Dlloyds said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. 

Kieran, There would be parking for customers as well.

Arfur... Thanks, its all down to overheads... more overheads = more pressure...

You'll need numerous insurances, your Traders Policy will need multiple addresses, CCTV security, Public liability, trade plates, planning for usage agreed by the council..... Its not as straightforward as you might think.....

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You'll need numerous insurances, your Traders Policy will need multiple addresses, CCTV security, Public liability, trade plates, planning for usage agreed by the council..... Its not as straightforward as you might think.....

I second this. I started from home and now have a small ( 15 Car ) unit with 2 offices and a small kitchen. My overheads are relatively low compared to flashy showrooms but its still a huge cost. Rates ( if applicable ) waste collection, water, electricity, insurance, alarm, cctv, Planning etc..... All ads up. But working from a unit sure beats working from home and having people sat in your dining room. If it works for you, go for it. Logistics are key. You'll always get a call on the one you've not cleaned thats at home and you'll be p1ssing around moving stuff re cleaning etc.. all part of the fun. The unit definitely gives us a more professional appearance than when doing from home ( also stopped the nosey neighbours peering over the fence ) 

Good luck though whichever way you decide

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the feedback.

Arfur, I hadn't even thought of motor traders policy needing multiple address etc. Also the trade plates... would I need to change them.

Luckily it is 5 mins from my home and part of the attraction is the bay to prep cars, I was half way through polishing a car today and it rained. very frustrating... I can only imagine what it would be like in winter... 

Thanks Matt C, I appreciate your support.....

8 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the feedback.

Arfur, I hadn't even thought of motor traders policy needing multiple address etc. Also the trade plates... would I need to change them.

Luckily it is 5 mins from my home and part of the attraction is the bay to prep cars, I was half way through polishing a car today and it rained. very frustrating... I can only imagine what it would be like in winter... 

Thanks Matt C, I appreciate your support.....

Your insurer will need to know where your cars are kept so they can underwrite your policy correctly. Unless you tax every car you will need Trade plates. 

Hi Arfur,

I am probably being really dim.... I already have trade plates to transport the cars and the address I would be keeping the cars, i.e the smallholding is a private address off of the public highway....would I need to tax them ?

Thanks again Dean

5 hours ago, Dlloyds said:

Hi Arfur,

I am probably being really dim.... I already have trade plates to transport the cars and the address I would be keeping the cars, i.e the smallholding is a private address off of the public highway....would I need to tax them ?

Thanks again Dean

so long as the land is not classed as public accessible then no you do not need to tax them

your trade plates will cover you to get them there

remember once in trade to your name you have 3 months before you need to register them in your name under dvla trader definition terms

my trade plates are registered to my home ,this way dvla can always find me and im assured i got the renewal slip every year because mine comes due at xmas so its easy to forget

On 05/10/2017 at 7:37 PM, MrC said:

I used to store cars at a farm 5 mins drive away. £60 a month got me enough space for 10 cars. 

Might be worth knocking on the farmers door

Used to? Sounds a sweet deal - where's he based? :lol: