Mistermuttley

Auction gradings and missed items

Just wondered what you guys would do as this is the first time I have questioned a car bought at the auction.

Bought a Mazda2 on the friday and collected it today, grade 2 so reasonably clean and the small items mentioned were no surprise.

What was a surprise though was the cigarette burn in the drivers seat. This was not on the inspection report and as I bought it online I didnt know about it till pick up.

Would have bid less if I would have noticed it, instead it was at the top of my bid anyway. Spoke to Manheim B'ham and they said what do I want them to do about it and half suggested a refund. I asked if they could cover the cost of the repair as its a repair which I wasn't expecting. They said someone would call me back...........

So what would you expect Manheim to do in this situation if you have had something similar, and does anyone know of a cheap fix to sort the burn out?

Thanks.

And another thing, does anyone think the auction houses take deliberately dark/low resolution pics as a way of disguising issues as lots of the pictures seem such low resolution when you zoom in its hard to make out any damage which is there. (case in point my dodgy U grade Corsa but thats another story!)

And another thing!.... seems when i bid on items online and set my max I have had 'hall bidders' keep bidding against me until i get to my max bid.Then a hall bidder bids above my max bid, and then somehow the last hall bid was cancelled as my internet bid has reached its limit so I then win the auction.

Would the auctioneer run up the bids off the wall to my max bid and then retract the last one over my max so that i pay my max bid? 

Edited by Mistermuttley

Yeah. Mine is really good so after you won't really notice it's been repaired unless you get a magnifying glass out.

It would be more to replace the actual panel of fabric though.

I'll get qoutes then, its only about 5-6mm diameter so should be ok. See if manheim call back

If you asked regular on line buyers if auctions misdescribe stuff,they will probably agree.However the misdescriptions are usually in the buyers favour ! Occasionally they can make mistakes and in this case it is only minor.So if you don't get any help this time,just forget it,you will make it up on other stuff.Also,I have to say,buying on line means sitting ,watching and pressing the button ,it does not mean leaving a commission bid,that's what lazy franchised dealers do ! Our guy researches all the stock at home the night before( that's 5 nights) has marked  target bids for 50-70 at different auctions and often follows 3 sales on one screen at the same time ! In my oppinion on line buying is possibly the best thing that has happened for us in the last 10 years.......Anyone disagree !

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you asked regular on line buyers if auctions misdescribe stuff,they will probably agree.However the misdescriptions are usually in the buyers favour ! Occasionally they can make mistakes and in this case it is only minor.So if you don't get any help this time,just forget it,you will make it up on other stuff.Also,I have to say,buying on line means sitting ,watching and pressing the button ,it does not mean leaving a commission bid,that's what lazy franchised dealers do ! Our guy researches all the stock at home the night before( that's 5 nights) has marked  target bids for 50-70 at different auctions and often follows 3 sales on one screen at the same time ! In my oppinion on line buying is possibly the best thing that has happened for us in the last 10 years.......Anyone disagree !

no

i basically do the same

i too miss stuff but it is indeed swings and roundabouts

im glad i dont do the auctions anymore

The grading system really is pot luck, however I agree it definitely benefits the buyer.... Bought a 60 plate V70 D5 today with an "engine idles unevenly", there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.....  

2 hours ago, Mistermuttley said:

Would the auctioneer run up the bids off the wall to my max bid and then retract the last one over my max so that i pay my max bid? 

Too bloody right they would. Hall bidders get run up by the internet & vice versa.

On watching the Simulcast you can see what's going on when the auctioneer is saying one thing & the bid section is two or three bids ahead of him :lol:  

• Like 1

Speak to the branch manager at B'ham.

This sort of thing is dealt with at branch level. Be polite but firm. They missed it and you used their 'normally excellent' reports to influence your buying decision. 

I have always found having bodywork and interior defects sorted out in my favour painlessly. If only Surecheck were as easy to deal with. 

• Like 1

I did call them yesterday about 3ish and was told someone would call me back. No call so I'll give them a call today. 

Willstop sticking a max bid on the bid now and just bid online live as others have said about auctioneers running you up. Learning!.....

17 hours ago, trade vet said:

If you asked regular on line buyers if auctions misdescribe stuff,they will probably agree.However the misdescriptions are usually in the buyers favour ! 

This, this and this again. Like many, I win far more than I lose so don't mind taking the odd one on the chin. I certainly wouldn't be kicking up a fuss about a fag burn, if however it did smell of smoke that's a different matter altogether as far as Manheim are concerned. 

Just one more thing as Columbo might say, never ring an Auction with a complaint on a sale day as it will be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Got a call today from a manager called Dale at Manheim B'ham , he asked what i wanted in relation to the burn and offered to take the car back or fund the smart repair. I have asked for them to cover the smart repair cost. Can't fault them really, decent bloke wanted to help. Cant ask for more than that.

• Like 2