Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo

Small indie trader sending cars to the auction?

So i've never bought or sold at auctions so this area is quite new. 

I know main main dealers just all p ex cars to auction

question is do many smaller traders do this with cheaper stuff that is probably more grief than its worth selling? 

If so how do you go about selling to an auction house please? Do you drive the car to them or they collect? Do you just tell them what u want for the car like an ebay reserve and whatever it makes as long as it hits that reserve is what u get? What about their fees?

thanks in advance. Just being offered a few crappers that i sometimes "have" to buy along the way which id rather not sit on and retail too much

You'll get raped at the block for your cars. The majority of traders rightly steer clear of "part exchange direct" cars & your cars certainly won't get prime position in the running order.

For fees contact your local auction house(es).

Agreed with my Happy above, you will get pennies if any at all, best route ebay gumtree facebook, there is always someone happy to take the junk you just need to find them in your local area, another option i used to people watch in the auction and you soon see a pattern of the same people buying the same things similar money ect, just look out for junk collectors and approach them direct there often more than happy to save auction fees.

Cheers guys will call BCA today

so u cant just send an old dog to auction with a full and frank description and expect it to at least get u back the trade money u paid for it?

without having to warranty or be responsible for it and avoid any returns?

51 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Cheers guys will call BCA today

so u cant just send an old dog to auction with a full and frank description and expect it to at least get u back the trade money u paid for it?

without having to warranty or be responsible for it and avoid any returns?

No

Don't ring BCA or manheim. Just don't bother.

You might be ok with a local small ish independent Auction I can suggest a couple in the North West but it depends on where you are.

Best thing to do is list them really cheaply, with brutally honest adverts showing all the bad bits and listing any faults you know of and sell selectively. 

I never get any money back for stuff at auction, waste of time generally speaking.

I look on facebook and my local "cars for sale" group

Then i find a dodgy looking bloke who wants to play car dealer (the sort whos adverts are full of grammar and spelling mistakes, pictures took on the local council estate, every car is always "the cheapest for sale" or a "part exchange")

I contact them explaining im a proper car dealer not a pretend one, and i have some cheap part ex's im looking to get rid of, and would he be interested in buying some

I move the cars onto him, then watch him trying to sell them on facebook as a part exchange, his dads,mums, uncles cats car for a £170 profit

Then sometimes, because im like this, and its more entertaining then Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing, How to look fat naked etc.. i like to use another account and send messages asking questions.. service history? MOT advisory? Timing belt change etc knowing full well it has no history, a page full of advisories and no timing belt change and then watch him lie through his teeth about them before making a stupid offer of half what he paid for it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CJ Underhill said:

"Then sometimes, because im like this, and its more entertaining then Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing, How to look fat naked etc.. i like to use another account and send messages asking questions.. service history? MOT advisory? Timing belt change etc knowing full well it has no history, a page full of advisories and no timing belt change and then watch him lie through his teeth about them before making a stupid offer of half what he paid for it "

Sounds like compelling viewing !! :) get Simon Cowell to make a TV series with you :) ! 

5 hours ago, CJ Underhill said:

I look on facebook and my local "cars for sale" group

Then i find a dodgy looking bloke who wants to play car dealer (the sort whos adverts are full of grammar and spelling mistakes, pictures took on the local council estate, every car is always "the cheapest for sale" or a "part exchange")

I contact them explaining im a proper car dealer not a pretend one, and i have some cheap part ex's im looking to get rid of, and would he be interested in buying some

I move the cars onto him, then watch him trying to sell them on facebook as a part exchange, his dads,mums, uncles cats car for a £170 profit

Then sometimes, because im like this, and its more entertaining then Eastenders, Strictly Come Dancing, How to look fat naked etc.. i like to use another account and send messages asking questions.. service history? MOT advisory? Timing belt change etc knowing full well it has no history, a page full of advisories and no timing belt change and then watch him lie through his teeth about them before making a stupid offer of half what he paid for it

Cruel, I like it :) 

On 27/09/2017 at 11:43 PM, Jimbo said:

So i've never bought or sold at auctions so this area is quite new. 

I know main main dealers just all p ex cars to auction

question is do many smaller traders do this with cheaper stuff that is probably more grief than its worth selling? 

If so how do you go about selling to an auction house please? Do you drive the car to them or they collect? Do you just tell them what u want for the car like an ebay reserve and whatever it makes as long as it hits that reserve is what u get? What about their fees?

thanks in advance. Just being offered a few crappers that i sometimes "have" to buy along the way which id rather not sit on and retail too much

Where are you based Jimbo?

1 hour ago, Frankieola said:

Where are you based Jimbo?

We're in the South east