ik1980

Audi A4 2.0 TDI smoking...

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170, decent car with decent spec but has an issue...

When I start it, the car shudders and smoke comes out of the exhaust, grey/white smoke, and a fair bit. It drives well, with no loss of power or anything, and when it warms up the smoke clears, the shuddering stops and it drives well.

I had the AA come out and have a look. No warning lights on the dash, no error codes came up, but he said the EGR valve is the problem. He fitted a blanking plate to it, and the car was fine.

I took the car to my local mechanic, and asked him to clean the DPF and remove the blank. I then had the car cabon cleaned. However it still smokes.

What could this be? Everything else seems fine to me... 

Hi, haven't you answered yourself in your third paragraph?

But wouldn't I get a warning light on the dash if the EGR was blanked?

I will also check the service history in a bit, because I'm pretty sure the EGR had been replaced..

Good luck - wouldn't touch a 170 with a barge pole. I've known people throw a fortune at these symptoms on this engine and still not solve it

yep, EGR was replaced July this year. that invoice was nearly a grand for EGR & service!

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Proper diagnosis is the only way forward... If you don't know the fault you can't fix it.

guy near me gets cars in and he has no clue,you can always tell because he sits in them and revs the nuts off them

he was doing a jag yesterday,i was praying it started to overun but it didnt,its great to see a big pool of oil and shrapnel bits on the floor when fools jump in

1 minute ago, ik1980 said:

whats it say on the back of the speedo head?

oh no not again:lol:

And everyone knows these cars are headaches like no other, yet they are climbing all over each other to buy them in the ring, i am running as fast as i can in the opposite direction

24 minutes ago, tradex said:

Not me, I'm fighting my way past you:P

Agreed, I'll buy 140 170 S Line estates all day long and they'll sell within 2 weeks :)