It's me

warning from the dvl a

just received a letter from the dvla they obviously used my trade plate details but got my trading name completely wrong but im drifting

it basically is advising that it is your responsibility as a trader to tell customers cars need taxing before they leave your property

the main point is though that it advises that any trader who taxes cars on behalf of customers via direct debit may lose this benefit forever if caught or the customer might lose it 

ive never done it but ive read some of you on here have so be warned:)

We got exactly the same letter this morning...the address is correct but the garage name bears no resemblance at all to us?

I've tried to upload it here but it's too large, apparently?

Maybe its just a generic letter..... The DVLA cannot transfer the customers responsibility to tax the car onto us.. Car tax is now a personal tax........ Imaging being able to blame the HMRC if you don't pay your tax.... Laughable !

Why would you tax a customers car ? It's takes nano seconds on line I offer the customers use of our system to do it and often help them fill in the boxes, hardly rocket science.

All smells a bit fishy to me...we also offer to help the customer tax the car online and by help I mean I point to the post office or tell them the web address

4 hours ago, s and b said:

our responsibility as a trader to tell customers cars need taxing before they leave your property

so, this could lead from responsibility to actual fine in years to come ? its always the same, stick your head up and do the job right and be burdened with paperwork, sell it on a private ad and tell customers " i just do it on side" and no one cares :unsure:

So proud I am a Maserati main dealer :)

When will the stock be coming to play with? !

9 hours ago, grant8064 said:

All smells a bit fishy to me...we also offer to help the customer tax the car online and by help I mean I point to the post office or tell them the web address

Snap. You can't force a customer to buy what they don't want to! The DVLA can do what it likes, the post office is 50yds from me & the DVLA is via the internet and that's good enough from me.

14 hours ago, russp said:

So proud I am a Maserati main dealer :)

When will the stock be coming to play with? !

I think DVLA are so wrong here, major admin error or whatever has happened....I saw the letter and didn't bother to open it as I thought it was a mistake. It was addressed to a Mr Ian Ball, sounds like some fat, pie eating, murderer. I only opened because I read the post on here:angry:

1 hour ago, NoMargin said:

I think DVLA are so wrong here, major admin error or whatever has happened....I saw the letter and didn't bother to open it as I thought it was a mistake. It was addressed to a Mr Ian Ball, sounds like some fat, pie eating, murderer. I only opened because I read the post on here:angry:

i think if you were honest you thought it was a letter of intention to fine you for something,i certainly did as i opened mine:lol:

• Like 1

As far as im concerned once the transaction has taken place the responsibility of taxing the car lies with the new owner. 

I can't force a buyer to tax a car, I offer use of laptop and for the computer illiterate I do it for them. 

To be fair I can't recall anyone leaving without taxing.

Anyhow the letter was binned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrC said:

As far as im concerned once the transaction has taken place the responsibility of taxing the car lies with the new owner. 

I can't force a buyer to tax a car, I offer use of laptop and for the computer illiterate I do it for them. 

To be fair I can't recall anyone leaving without taxing.

Anyhow the letter was binned.

Agreed, the responsibility is the buyers, end of...... I always write a note on file if they drive off untaxed..........

Take note, long story, I sold a £700 PX banger to a moron who threatened me 4 days later that  the A/C wasn't working and wanted a full refund. I sold it on the 26th of the Month and he hadn't taxed it. Anyway the RD letter came through stating blah CRA... I replied saying I was happy to go to court :) Ill be happy to explain you were driving around untaxed and as such uninsured...... Stopped the little shit in his tracks...

letter on my desk pending return to sender, not know at this address, right address wrong company, i wonder what that is all about!!!:rolleyes:

How weird tho' that it's obviously a generic letter and all the company names are wrong!! never the less, the customer is responsible for taxing the car and when they turn round and say 'nah i'll do it when i get home' what the hell do dvla expect you to do!!! i am not the police, just an upstanding member of the motor trade...:D

• Like 1

I had same today - I think the main warning is about taxing a car on DD on behalf of a customer ( why anyone would do this I have no idea ) Mine had wrong company details on too.

I've not had one...feeling left out now.

So is this basically main dealers including road tax in a deal and getting admin to tax the car on the company account? Then when it gets cancelled after 12 months or whatever the deal was the customer forgets they need to pay for it themselves and scream when they get a fine?

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

I've not had one...feeling left out now.

So is this basically main dealers including road tax in a deal and getting admin to tax the car on the company account? Then when it gets cancelled after 12 months or whatever the deal was the customer forgets they need to pay for it themselves and scream when they get a fine?

or the dishonest dealer including twelve month tax and only making first payment and changing his mobile / address  ;)

Yes I got one last week as well with the wrong dealer name on it! My first thoughts was is this a legitimate letter or a scam?

I googled the dealership and it was a legitimate one, just obviously not mine!

It's also a bit of a pointless letter really...very odd.