Sign in to follow this  
Linctrader

Valeting - if you can't do it yourself...

Hello,

Previously I valeted my own cars, but poor health means if I try to do one now I'm wrecked so little else gets done which is no good as I'm a one man band.

I don't have enough stock (small set up 2-3 a week) to justify someone full time and I seem to be going through 'valeters' at a high burn rate...most loose interest in doing work for a price so standards soon drop and I find myself kicking them into touch.

How do you other guys handle this situation when you aren't in a position to do the work yourself (due to no time/illhealth etc) but aren't big enough to cover the costs to employ someone full time for this roll?

It's looking like my best option is the local car wash mini valet!

Cheers.

Do you not have an Eastern Euro place near you? Our guys collect and drop off for £50 fixed fee per car. We tried mobile guys for a long time but frankly these guys are superb. My biggest thing with valeters is consistency which they are the first and only the seem able to achieve. Top of my list for out sourced work and I recommend them to all of our customers.

Its the local euro guys I end up taking the cars to - but I'm not sure what insurances they would have to cover collection/drop off and I wouldn't be happy just winging it - so it's dead time for me waiting for them to clean the car and travelling to and from.

Why can't valeters just be consistent? It's not as though they get less money from me everytime they expect paid so why do they think it's okay to let their work standards drop off and think I would be happy to accept it?

Plus (and no offence to valeters meant, as I have done it myself as a day job) but it's not exactly rocket science, so how do many who profess to be a professional car cleaner manage to do such a poor job?

I'm tired of chasing guys away and just want someone who will do as they say in return for a payment previously agreed before they start the job.

Part of me thinks I should start a small valeting business along the car business to justify paying another wage...seems a bit extreme though.

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

Do you not have an Eastern Euro place near you? Our guys collect and drop off for £50 fixed fee per car. We tried mobile guys for a long time but frankly these guys are superb. My biggest thing with valeters is consistency which they are the first and only the seem able to achieve. Top of my list for out sourced work and I recommend them to all of our customers.

That will be a monthly account with a lovely invoice including VAT payable by bank transfer ?

10 hours ago, trade vet said:

That will be a monthly account with a lovely invoice including VAT payable by bank transfer ?

:D Very good.

Hi Linctrader.-Good valeters are important and hard to get.They are around,but you have to be patient and you will find one.I was just at the pitch and our guys have just found an additional one.( after a lot of bullshit applicants).I knew he was OK from 25 yards,the way he moved and being small and 'wiry',if you know what I mean.

A few years ago,I had heard that a good valeter might be available.The problem was I had known the owner of the pitch he worked at for a long time.So I politely requested permission to approach his valeter and to offer him more money.I was told in no uncertain terms 'the transfer window was closed', .........so no deal. 

I use Tescos Valeters, a friendly bunch of Eastern Europeans run the franchise and do a very good job, a full valet for £50 inc vat. Absolute bargain! 

A valet is only as good as the man holding the cleaning machine doing it. If you're only getting a few cars rutted-out don't bother going down the black market employee route. Try the various local valeters until you stumble across the one good one & then stick with them.

Personally I found the various Syrian & Eastern European services poor. They've seen the prices, got a hard-on, bought some chemicals & equipment and only want nice easy retail work and couldn't manage to PROPERLY clean out a right old stinking pig! After your valet you'll need to dehumidify and possible ozone the car because the best valet in the world will not permanently shift the smell of pure filth or cigarettes.

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I use Tescos Valeters, a friendly bunch of Eastern Europeans run the franchise and do a very good job, a full valet for £50 inc vat. Absolute bargain! 

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

You surprise me. Personally I'd rather my cars be washed in clean acid free water and not waxed with liquid.

Slowly but surely I think folk are switching on to the fact that these cheap Eastern European car washes are no good for their pride and joy, and no good for UK PLC.

Thanks chaps for the replies,

I'm not convinced the euro car wash is the way forward myself...they get cars looking clean but miss the details as they are only concerned with getting the job done and on to the next asap. I find myself still having to go over the cars to clean glass etc properly.

Problem seems to be finding someone who is good at the details and can turn out a consistently good car. The 'detail' guys (and I'm still talking valeters here, not 3 day retailers charging £££) seem to be amateurs with only a few customers because they got into the business because they like to clean their own cars and whilst they can finish a car well, it takes them 5 hours, 4 cups of tea, 10 cigs and 3 life stories (including how they can't make a living wage out if this business), so one ends up losing the will to live and starts to avoid being around when they turn up. They then become resentful that the price agreed doesn't pay them for their time so over time begin to do less and less until you chase them away because their work is crap and all you end up paying for could be done for £15 by the euro wash by ways of a mini valet, in 1 hour, with no whinging!

Other side of that are the busy semi pro valeters who just like to splash water and do the bare minimum to get money and get away within the hour. Car half cleaned, water marks everywhere - why bother.

Last guy I had - i bought in a van and after a mini valet at £25 he said it looked quite flat and would benefit from a machine polish. I agreed, and asked if he would do a quick machine buff of the exterior for £60 (the going rate for a 3 stage polish in my area). This guy moaned constantly about money and lack of work so I thought it would help us both. But no, he has standards he wouldnt wish to compromise, so he would only take it on if he could do a full detail, 2 days, £150. Needless to say neither of us got what we wanted.

It shouldn't be this hard. 

4 cars at £50 a time to the euros is part ways towards paying for a full time valeter on site. So should I be taking someone on and adding another small business to bring in money to keep them busy when I'm not using them.

54 minutes ago, sparky said:

You surprise me. Personally I'd rather my cars be washed in clean acid free water and not waxed with liquid.

Slowly but surely I think folk are switching on to the fact that these cheap Eastern European car washes are no good for their pride and joy, and no good for UK PLC.

Some 'foreign' car washes may be run as a proper business but you just wonder whether some of them could be connected to money laundering.

Our experience - We rent out some premises and there is a Romanian car wash next door.Wash'n Vac £6,they are always busy 7 days a week,about 10 valeters working at any time.There has been several reports of trouble among themselves and they routinely encroach on out tenants parking bays.However,receipts,PAYE,minimum wage,VAT and the rest,I don't think so.Are the authorities interested,no.Also,they have fitted a VERY expensive CCTV system,why !.I know their landlord and he says they always pay their rent on time but would not like to have to give them notice.To quote him " these guys don't care,where they come from,they are used to dodging bullits "....However,they appear to be good valeters !

23 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

Thanks chaps for the replies,

I'm not convinced the euro car wash is the way forward myself...they get cars looking clean but miss the details as they are only concerned with getting the job done and on to the next asap. I find myself still having to go over the cars to clean glass etc properly.

Problem seems to be finding someone who is good at the details and can turn out a consistently good car. The 'detail' guys (and I'm still talking valeters here, not 3 day retailers charging £££) seem to be amateurs with only a few customers because they got into the business because they like to clean their own cars and whilst they can finish a car well, it takes them 5 hours, 4 cups of tea, 10 cigs and 3 life stories (including how they can't make a living wage out if this business), so one ends up losing the will to live and starts to avoid being around when they turn up. They then become resentful that the price agreed doesn't pay them for their time so over time begin to do less and less until you chase them away because their work is crap and all you end up paying for could be done for £15 by the euro wash by ways of a mini valet, in 1 hour, with no whinging!

Other side of that are the busy semi pro valeters who just like to splash water and do the bare minimum to get money and get away within the hour. Car half cleaned, water marks everywhere - why bother.

Last guy I had - i bought in a van and after a mini valet at £25 he said it looked quite flat and would benefit from a machine polish. I agreed, and asked if he would do a quick machine buff of the exterior for £60 (the going rate for a 3 stage polish in my area). This guy moaned constantly about money and lack of work so I thought it would help us both. But no, he has standards he wouldnt wish to compromise, so he would only take it on if he could do a full detail, 2 days, £150. Needless to say neither of us got what we wanted.

It shouldn't be this hard. 

4 cars at £50 a time to the euros is part ways towards paying for a full time valeter on site. So should I be taking someone on and adding another small business to bring in money to keep them busy when I'm not using them.

£150 for a full valet on a van !.....I need smelling salts !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

£150 for a full valet on a van !.....I need smelling salts !

Now that was a 2 day detail...on a £2k builders van that just needed a quick mop and polish...because he didn't want to compromise his standards...

Im pretty sure I cried a little that afternoon.

4 hours ago, tradex said:

funny you should mention that, we have heard whispers about that too in these parts.

Snap, I've heard a lot of this about. Whatever they're punting or taking though the ones we use are grade A when it comes to getting a car clean.

Use a £50 a time valeting place and get a cheap PX worth say £100/£150 and just always leave it there when you don't have a car there. Even when the car blows up just scrap it. Time saver. 

You can then get on doing more useful things for your business instead of cleaning the cars.

2 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Use a £50 a time valeting place and get a cheap PX worth say £100/£150 and just always leave it there when you don't have a car there. Even when the car blows up just scrap it. Time saver. 

You can then get on doing more useful things for your business instead of cleaning the cars.

19 hours ago, s and b said:

ive always seen these eastern european car washes as a way for customers to buy drugs 

Personally I like to have four or five bangers scattered about Rory. One at the MOT station, one at the mechanics, one at the paint shop, one at the auto electricians and a spare one for when one of them breaks down :)

On 16/09/2017 at 8:54 AM, sparky said:

Personally I like to have four or five bangers scattered about Rory. One at the MOT station, one at the mechanics, one at the paint shop, one at the auto electricians and a spare one for when one of them breaks down :)

Uber?

8 hours ago, met said:

Those stains are terrible, they look easily removable with a little interior shampoo and microfiber cloth, one can only assume those stains are permanent :(

Edited by NoMargin

4 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Those stains are terrible, they look easily removable with a little interior shampoo and microfiber cloth, one can only assume those stains are permanent :(

They'll be removable, it'll just be the seller's a lazy bastard. 

I thought my prep levels are shite but that's a disgrace - and he's not shy with his pricing either!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BHM said:

They'll be removable, it'll just be the seller's a lazy bastard. 

I thought my prep levels are shite but that's a disgrace - and he's not shy with his pricing either!

Yeah, it's amazing what a good valet can do?

While we are on the subject of valets, how does everyone feel about 'steaming' interiors? I was was hearing from an car upholsterer a few weeks back about how 'steaming' does a good job of removing dirt/stains and glue needed to assemble the seats?

My folks steam the carpets in their house; seems to do a nice job.

A good wet vac is the tried and tested in my experience. We've got an older version of one of these bad boys:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numatic-Car-Wash-Valet-Carpet-Seat-Upholstery-Vacuum-Cleaning-Cleaner-Shampooer-/271875235258?epid=1361108436&hash=item3f4d06ddba:g:x4QAAOSwBLlVWywZ

Edited by Mojo121