Sign in to follow this  
Frankieola

How much???!!!

Am a franchised dealer and we have our own bodyshop, I have to use them for any prep work and they have just started doing alloy wheel repairs too as another way of having my pants down.

I realise that I'll pay somewhat over the odds bit I just feel they are killing me, how do these sound cost wise to you guys.....

2014 VW Polo, Nimbus Grey, was sure it would be a smart repair but they have painted the entire rear bumper, £225 plus vat.

2010 VW Golf, about 5 or 6 hairline cracks under the front headlamp, I think just fill them, sand it down and smart repair, According to them its a poor repair previously and only solution is a new front bumper, £350 plus vat

Am I expecting too much for nothing or am I being royally had over?

Sounds dear to me.

Today I collected front and rear bumpers plus rear spoiler for a VW Transporter from my painter £250, they were second hand so had a few issues that needed sorting before painting. 

He usually charges me £50 for a corner bumper scuff, rule of thumb £100 a panel.

• Like 1

Yes totally agree I work on a £100 a panel. I pay about £60 for bumper corner or £100 full bumper, odd wing mirror scuff a £10, full side £250. Alloy wheel refurb £35.

When I worked at a main dealer it was exactly the same, bodyshop stiff you whenever they could and don't get me started on the parts department charging full retail internally. Its all down to everyone chasing that month end bonus I suppose.

Let's be honest here, you know you ain't going to get "back street rates" from the front of house. 

However in answer to your question, yes they're pricey & as for the bumper on the Golf I suspect the painters a lazy so-and-so.

High Frankieola  - Is this not just creative accounting.Could your workshop/body shop be a separate company and have better tax breaks..So by invoicing at retail rates,it surpresses the profits from sales.I am only guessing,I am not an accountant ,but it could be tax efficient.Though I doubt it helps you.

both these cars are seen as prestige middle class conveyancers by the teachers and social workers that buy them and as such are very fussy,your bodyshop understands this so unlike slapping a bit of paint on an old fiesta they realise it might come back,as regards replacing the bumper its entirely possible it did have a poor previous repair and as such a replacement would be the only option for 100% quality

i use a local man for most paint he lives in a shed and works from a bigger shed hes cheap but the jobs are not always perfect

you pays your monies and........................