Max Wheeler

AutoTrader IControl/Retail Check

Anyone have any experience with AT's IControl or Retail Check?? 

I've tried it in the past and was abit of a hit/miss... 

Any thoughts appreciated...

Used it quite a while ago, Personally don't think its worth the extra money.

Spend an extra 5 mins and do a manual search same outcome

Icontrol is an amazing bit of software but didn't work for me as It was steering me towards cars that didn't really fit

my stock profile...prob handy for car supermarket type operation where they buy lots of cars online. Agree with Dan W 

re Retail check , but it is a time saver if you're checking a fair few prices daily . I'm trialing it at present , don't use CAP or Glasses

anymore and only advertise on the 'walled garden' that is AT so it's fairly accurate for my needs .

Waste of time and YET MORE money demanded for it by the greedy idiots.

Retail Check is good, but you can access the same info FOR FREE as a punter via their main website! (click 'selling' and/or 'buying' for all the info you'll need.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-valuation'

CAP/Hpi also offer a free valuation service:

https://hpivaluations.com/

Seemed to me icontrol would be OK if you were a main dealer looking for a two year old bore-fest, but It never helped me. I don't trust their data-let alone them- as who's to say a car hasn't just been moved on elsewhere to an auction house etc or blown out at a small loss just to get it gone before the stocking facility date arrives.

Plus desirability is different region to region, and you just learn through experience (as I'm sure you know and do) and all the info you need is out there.  It's also easy to do a search of similar currently advertised cars in your area and beyond. Plus all the advertising platforms give you data on what your most searched cars are etc. Mine is the worlds most over priced (not rusty) Puma.  This is obviously people clicking on/searching for nostalgia and stumbling over it & then saying "I used to have one of them!  HOW MUCH! are you mad?" Then messaging me telling me I'm an idiot) I love putting a big SOLD on the advert when they go ;0)

If Autotrader did the decent thing and let you have icontrol and Retail Check as part of the package (not another extra) then fair enough. Bit like if Tesco charged for the privilege of a Clubcard just so you could get some of that charge back in savings. (better analogies welcome :0)

Somewhere out there is a motoring journalist that ought to be able to do an in-depth study and exposé of the claims by the companies providing 'valuation' services to trade and retail customers.

It is clear that they can't all be right, yet they all claim they are. So who's lying?

The majority of data is flawed and doesn't take into account actual transaction prices, actual purchase prices, condition, spec etc. I know I've got a bee in my bonnet about AT, but they really do talk a lot of cr4p about their 'valuations'. They have no idea how much their data is distorted by the inaccuracies of prices they treat as gospel. But then, they don't really care as long as we keep paying them to get our own data back.

So, you pays your money.....

Complete waste of money. A simple 50 to 100 mile web search on a comparable car will give you your local market value. Buyers look for ease and convenience. You don't need AT you tell you what it's worth. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Complete waste of money. A simple 50 to 100 mile web search on a comparable car will give you your local market value. Buyers look for ease and convenience. You don't need AT you tell you what it's worth. 

Exactly - it's hardly rocket science. If I believed "expert" valuations on 10yr old Ford Focuses I'd be bankrupt cos I'd never sell another again at their prices.

You can become obsessed with various professional third party gimmicks but in this game you need to have a "feel" for local pricing & desirability.