Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Peugeot 207 whistling noise from engine

Just bought a 207 CC 1.6 Petrol, 2009 model only 49k miles. It has a rather high pitched whistling noise when you put the revs on, fine on tick over. My mechanic has had a look for anything obvious but to be honest we are all scratching our heads a bit. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and hopefully a cure......Thanks

Check the complete induction side and inlet manifold for cracks or do a smoke machine test to check for leaks. Sometimes the VTI pulley can be noisy as well. 

My guy has stripped down all the pulleys etc and says its not them. Its noise is coming from around the sump area, he thinks possibly oil pump? or timing chain? although would the timing chain be more of chatter/rattle rather than a whistle noise?

Yes chain would clatter not whistle if its in the sump then pump or the strainer is possibly blocked. is there any noise on cold start?

split vacum pipe ?

inlet manoifold leak ?

get your mechanic to invest in a vacum gauge [ lessthan £20] one of the best tools you can buy, i wouldnt be without mine, blocked exhausts, cats that have come loose internally, burnt out valves, low compression, missing spark, etc etc.

also have you run it with the belts removed ?

Cut your loses and set fire to it now. You will thank me later. Hatefull cars.

More usefull advice next week.

ive got a 207 haunting me,every time the carlsberg land line rings im sure its going to be

you know the pewgot you sold me.............................

French cars are the worst, I simply don't buy them to retail and only ever give bottom book as a PX. Cheap nasty Primark quality motoring. 

Have a look around the water pump. There's an idler pulley that runs off the outer of the aux belt and drives the water pump. Daft set up but if the bearings are noisy (£12.50 from ECP) or the pulley itself has rubber residue from the belt, it can sound like this under higher revs.

Many thanks to everybody for their suggestions but especially to CGF, Changed the drive for the water pump, its like a figure of eight shape with a pull cord on the top to tension it. £83 + VAT (dealer part only) + fitting.

Its as quiet as a Sunderland home game! :D

• Like 1

Well done good to know

On 8/28/2017 at 9:05 AM, BHM said:

:D Pure French shit.

Better than German I can tell you. <_<

That's the badger, although ECP sell the pulley and bearing on its own for around £23 from memory. Done a couple, you still need to remove the whole assembly but once it's off the car, there's a T30 bolt holding it on from behind.