Sign in to follow this  
Frankieola

Peugeot 3008 What would you do?

Against my better judgement I sold a 2012 Peugeot 3008 that came in px a couple of months ago, from the moment I took the deposit I was regretting it as it turned out the customer was a right fusspot and demanding this and that.

I've bent over backwards for this guy, reconditioned the car to a really high standard, given him a comprehensive warranty for a year, got the wheels done, painted the tailgate after de badging it at his request took the paint off (as I told him it would), done his private plate transfer and refunded him the months tax on his px that the dvla had 'taken from him'. Also delivered it to him over 70 miles away to save him the hassle of collecting it.

Oh, and I gave him blood for his part ex too, a Focus CC that has now developed a fault with the roof.

Anyway, as you can imagine I didn't make much on the sale but just took the view to get it gone and moved on.

He's had it since the end of June and calls me today, says that part of the rear window heater is not working. In his words its because the previous dealer had their sticker on it and me removing it has broken the element. Rest of the window clears fine and he's only just noticed as its been warm weather up until now, what am I going to do about it?

I know the regulations and CRA 2015 etc but a large part of me just wants to tell him f#ck off, its a near 6 year old car, the heated rear window is working, get over it!

What would you do?

What a numpty ! Dear Me Customer, you bought a used car not a new car, your expectations should be reasonable and reflect its age mileage and the price paid :) 

I'd call his bluff, tell him to sod off & see where he goes from there - my guess is nowhere like 99% of these chancers. His demister does work except for a small area of it - he's a piss taker although you already know that.

I think you do have another way out as I get the impression you still have his caste off with a roof fault. Tell him to come & take back the CC because you could almost put your life on it that he knew the fault existed & my guess is that he really won't want it back.

One thing for sure, don't give him an ear to whinge into, just tell him whatever you decide, with a very tight timeframe (unless it's fuck off as that doesn't require any action on his behalf) & leave it to him to act.

Good luck, he sounds an absolute tosser, tbh I wouldn't be debadging & painting as punters causing hassle before they buy are the sort to cause bother but too late now.

Edited by BHM

Tell him to bring the car back for a refund as it would be easier all round due to his Focus having a lot more issues than you initially thought.

I've just refunded a customer as they started complaining about a temperamental door lock on a £995 clean and tidy Golf mk5. I could of told them its to be expected considering the Golf was the lowest priced mk5 in the UK at the time!

But i had their crappy zafira that i took in for scrap as PX, so i reversed the transaction and will move on to somebody else who has a more realistic approach to a used vehicle, easier all round and no stupid negatives reviews being left on the internet.

Not worth the hassle, remember you have 10 months remaining on the warranty you gave, how many times do you think you're going to here from him before June 2018! :D 

16 minutes ago, M.J said:

Tell him to bring the car back for a refund as it would be easier all round due to his Focus having a lot more issues than you initially thought.

I second this, call his bluff! I guarantee he will back off then.

Why is this even a consideration? PART of his heated rear screen isn't working on a 5 year old car you sold 2 months ago! That has absolutely no impact on the CRA or you as a dealer. That could never be argued to make the car not fit for purpose.

With regards to the fault I'd tell him to whistle as it's not even a fault, more a scratch as you'd expect on a 5 year old car except it's unusually inside the rear window from loading or a removed sticker as stated. If you don't want his part ex then reverse the deal to suit yourself minus mileage & extra owner then go again with the Pug. That way you get rid of the open top skip & can sell the good car again to someone with a brain.

I had a similar customer (son of Frank maybe) a few months ago. Two identical cars on the pitch, he wanted the red one but told me the clutch had gone (bollox) and bought the blue one as according to him the clutch was perfect in that. A complete and utter fussball who I bent over backwards for. In between him picking us his blue car the red one sold after being inspected and the bloke is made up with it. Days after collecting his car son of Frank complains about a couple of minor issues and then tells me the clutch is not right and he'd like it replacing.  I said no, he then asked if he supplied a new clutch would I replace it. Give me 5 mins I told him. I had a brew and thought were this might lead and rang him back saying that I think it would be best for all parties if we unwound the deal, so we did. The finance company commenting that they have never seen a dealer to unwind a deal before. Had the car back in, checked through and surprise, surprise, no faults found. Relisted, and sold to a lovely local couple. A  £250 hit bit  but worth every penny not to be dealing with a complete and utter buffoon.

3008's are good news, get it back in and go again with someone who deserves the car.

Interesting one, let us know how it goes, people never cease to amaze me... we have a pence per mile and an admin fee to return a vehicle, (touching wood) it seems to keep the muppet level down a bit, in this instance we would probably say if the rear defog is working at a ratio of 75% or above then there is nothing we can do unfortunately.... failing that offer  the refund which at, lets say 1000 miles, would be the sum total of £795 to return (plus his costs to get it to us).