Sign in to follow this  
Dan W

Sunday Customers

Morning guys

Just wanted peoples views on Sundays, having been a salesman for 10 years now I can honestly say Sunday is my most hated day, I know the old cliché of tyre kickers and people wasting a few hours before their roast dinner but it actually seems to be the case for my dealership.

During the week is manic busy Saturday can be a so so day, but Sunday is a painful day.

How does everyone else find it ?

We have been closed Sundays for 2 years now and it is so great for staff moral and communications within the business too.

We analysed the deals done on a Sunday over a 6 months period before coming to conclusion that most Sunday sales came from people who we either dealt with on the Saturday and they came into confirm or we had been dealing with during the week. Now being closed Sundays ensures that the deals are done on Saturday or the Monday which is amusing, it has also made Fridays really busy for retail customers too, which even I don't fully understand.

Analyise it yourself and see where everyone is coming from, poll your FB followers then make a decision from there.

no worries about the young guys driving in after a heavy night on Saturday. 

Enjoy your Sunday we are off to a Family event this afternoon which is something I had missed out on for over 20years, you can't turn back the clock but you can shape the future!

all the best, Jim 

• Like 1

Too true, I couldn't agree more. I'm a one man band with my compound next to me, I stopped Sundays about 3 years ago, IF I've received a deposit from a customer who has already viewed & test driven (so it's just 5 minutes for the money & log book exchange) then I'll let them come before 11 o'clock. 

Viewings, test drives & collections without a prior viewing are a no no. 99% of them tip up late without an apology, want to piss about like the messers they are, fancy driving a few (phone up about a £700 trade in & take a fancy to a £4000 Jeep) and then go away to think about it never to be seen again. They all seemed to be on their way to the shops, turned up late after a pub lunch or have simply exhausted themselves looking around B&Q every Sunday and fancied looking at cars instead of patio decking, lampshades & potted plants.

Strangely about 4-5 years ago I often did a few on a Sunday teatime but now any sales are generally Mon/Tue & Thur/Fri with a busy Saturday perhaps once a month, but usually my Saturdays are dead (except yesterday) with the odd messer fancying a spin in one of my cars amongst the other 6 they're going to see.

Dont be afraid to sack-off the Sunday brigade. If your cars are right & your prices are right the genuine punters will still be there on Monday.

• Like 1

Nothing negative to say about Sundays. Just another day where a lot of people are off work. 

We do 10-4 and its rare to blank. Its a nice easy half day, buy a bit of breakfast and a coffee on the way in for me and the member of the team who's working and deal with customers. 

If I didn't see a return on it I would not open.

If I had family / kids and goals other than making money and growing my business my outlook would very possibly differ.

On the same fence as Rory but can understand the frustration of others. I do get the odd tyre kicker but mostly I get genuine buyers who can't come any other day due to work commitments and end up doing a deal if not two. It's been a quiet few days, came in nice and easy around 11 and customer was waiting to purchase a car. My mindset will probably change when I'm older and have a family / kids or if I get tired. Right now, I love working 7 days and making the most of every day.

6 days a week is enough for me because we earn enough to pay the bills/ stay happy. Sundays are only ever worked to do a quick handover.

• Like 1

I have sundays off and I hate it, detest going round the shops etc 

9 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I have sundays off and I hate it, detest going round the shops etc 

Mrs Dealy made me do this today too :( 

I used to open 10 - 4 on Sundays and dealt a fair few but the amount of tyre kickers was beyond silly...didn't help having two carveries doing roast dinners two minutes down the road!

The last year I have stopped because i'm busy enough during the week and want a good days rest with the missus. I think if we were open we would sell cars but are they cars that wouldn't sell Mon - Sat? The sales figures don't say they are so i'm staying shut. Paying rent and rates for a non working site on a Sunday is a gripe but a day off does everyone the power of good IMO.

5 hours ago, jimreidvehicle said:

We have been closed Sundays for 2 years now and it is so great for staff moral and communications within the business too.

We analysed the deals done on a Sunday over a 6 months period before coming to conclusion that most Sunday sales came from people who we either dealt with on the Saturday and they came into confirm or we had been dealing with during the week. Now being closed Sundays ensures that the deals are done on Saturday or the Monday which is amusing, it has also made Fridays really busy for retail customers too, which even I don't fully understand.

Analyise it yourself and see where everyone is coming from, poll your FB followers then make a decision from there.

no worries about the young guys driving in after a heavy night on Saturday. 

Enjoy your Sunday we are off to a Family event this afternoon which is something I had missed out on for over 20years, you can't turn back the clock but you can shape the future!

all the best, Jim 

I think I can understand why pitches should not open on Sundays in Aberdeenshire.I have just looked at the religion demographics for the area !

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

I used to open 10 - 4 on Sundays and dealt a fair few but the amount of tyre kickers was beyond silly...didn't help having two carveries doing roast dinners two minutes down the road!

The last year I have stopped because i'm busy enough during the week and want a good days rest with the missus. I think if we were open we would sell cars but are they cars that wouldn't sell Mon - Sat? The sales figures don't say they are so i'm staying shut. Paying rent and rates for a non working site on a Sunday is a gripe but a day off does everyone the power of good IMO.

i dont want to spend any time with the wife, i just want to read the papers, eat and moan about immigration/europe/auction charges etc etc

All my cars are sold prior to viewing, I'm very flexible and make myself available 7 days a week for collection. As long as it doesn't interfere with my life, golf, football, family, beer and is no later than 4.30.

I could never sit on a site for 9 hours a day, it would drive me crazy. I don't see my job as work, I'm a wheeler dealer and I manage my work around my life. Not the other way,  it has to be on my terms.... :) 

We opened sundays and bank holidays in our first year, but 7 days was killing us, so we shut sundays and bank holidays, we offer 'by prior appointment' which means that those people that want to book a sunday viewing at 4 on saturday, are too late for us to 'organise' - open again at 8.30 monday or can do early evening by prior appointment!... our best advise is CLOSE you can't get the time back and life is too short, only ever had one guy really grumble that he couldn't believe we shut on sundays but we politely informed him that it was our only day of rest and we all had families to spend time with, he bought the vehicle first thing monday morning and collected before 5 tuesday! 

I used to back in the day but now Sundays are by appointment only (as long as I've got nothing else on), qualified appointment at that. If a group as big as the Mitchell Group can close Sunday then there is no reason why the peasants can't in my view.

Available 7 days a week here, but as I'm in a unit not a pitch ALL of my viewings are appointment only.

I'll work on cars Mon - Fri and occasionally collect stock on Saturdays too, but I don't get dirty on weekends, just have dirty weekends :D

If there's no appointments on Sat or Sun, they're days off. It's 50/50 for me tbh, had both days off this weekend which was nice.

Always closed from day one , 20 Years but have meet customers with appointments - Only a odd one not turned up and the odd one I didn't deal. ( Usually PX not quite as described !) 2 Sunday appointments this year - did deals on both. 

I do qualify as much as one can for Sunday appointment's and only if I have nothing else on,   but to be honest many have said they would come back when open , the odd one/two deals I may have missed - well that's life - I don't worry about it as I do like my time off and have other interests !.

Each one to their own its a personal choice.

If somebody is 'desperate' to view on a Sunday i tell them i only open for collections or customers who are definitely intending to purchase a vehicle. Some say ''yes we are definitely looking to purchase today'' at which point i tell them no problem we will need a £250 deposit to reserve the vehicle. Out of all the ''definitely purchasing'' brigade only 2 have put down a deposit and purchased.

Most are just out for a day trip with the 3 kids and dog in tow, often on route to the in laws for Sunday lunch and have a few hours to kill.

2 hours ago, M.J said:

If somebody is 'desperate' to view on a Sunday i tell them i only open for collections or customers who are definitely intending to purchase a vehicle. Some say ''yes we are definitely looking to purchase today'' at which point i tell them no problem we will need a £250 deposit to reserve the vehicle. Out of all the ''definitely purchasing'' brigade only 2 have put down a deposit and purchased.

Most are just out for a day trip with the 3 kids and dog in tow, often on route to the in laws for Sunday lunch and have a few hours to kill.

If you work as a remote seller, they have to trust you :)

We had one the other Sunday booked appointment, seemed super serious asked all right question and travelled an hour.

after test drive said have 5 more to look at and thanked us for our time and then two days later left a lovely review saying best place they'd been!

not sure what to say really...

The trouble with the "super serious" is they sound convincing because in their own mind they are serious, rather than intentionally lying. Sometimes with some of these punters I have absolutely no idea what's going through their minds - last month I had a fella who I was convinced was pulling out money after the test drive. He then said "Right, I'll make an appointment at the bank on Monday & see if I can get a loan" FFS, another hour of my life pissed away on a dreamer.

The death knell of any deal is when I hear either  "Don't let it go, I'm coming to buy" (usually turn up late after looking at another car on the way & then have another 2 to see afterwards or are the fussiest bastards on earth) or the dreaded "I'm not a messer" - in my experience any punter who feels the need to say that is most definitely a messer and at that point nowadays I make an excuse & tell them to phone later. 

BHM do you think its time for a career change :D every post your living the car sales dream 

• Like 2

Haha, you're probably right, although every now & again everything slots into place, I get a run of BUYERS as opposed to messers & offensive emails and remember that this job's good when it's good. I just wish only the 25% of straight people contacted me rather than also the other 75%.

What with being the local church minister and firing sermons from my soapbox sunday mornings theres no way i can do other than gods work,i explain this to my customers and they usually then turn up Tuesdays:D