ik1980

Advice please with BCA purchase.

Hello all, 

I need some advice/help please!

I bought a car from BCA, the no reserve group (I know I shouldn't!). The car was advertised sold as seen, but not as a non-runner. I won the auction, paid for it, and to have it delivered. The car didn't arrive. When I called BCA (Bedford) to chase them, they said the car (A Ford Focus automatic) couldn't be delivered as the gearbox had gone and it couldn't be loaded.

I asked for a refund, and got told that I would get a call back from a manger, and that there had been a 'mis-communication' between them and the delivery firm, and someone would get back to me. This took the best part of three days with me call them to get updates! Eventually I spoke to someone, who said that it was bought sold as seen. The car drove into the hall, and drove out. Once the hammer goes down, its yours. They have offered me free delivery (and a refund on my delivery cost which is £70 + VAT).

Is there any way I can get a refund from them, or am I stuck with it? Just to rub in, its the horrible CVT gearbox as well.

Bollocks.

I mean this not to be rude but what is the issue?

You bought a declared non runner from BCA and they are offering you free delivery which you were happy to pay for at the beginning.

Sounds like you're getting an amazing deal there!

2 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I mean this not to be rude but what is the issue?

You bought a declared non runner from BCA and they are offering you free delivery which you were happy to pay for at the beginning.

Sounds like you're getting an amazing deal there!

My bad, I didn't read correctly...so it was not declared as a non-runner and made it through the hall.

Hopefully someone will have some advice because I don't buy that kind of thing from BCA. Our local rooms have the rule that if it conks out without making it out of the hall the sale is cancelled. If it makes it in and out again then it's yours because that's how auctions without inspection reports work.

read their terms and conditions is all you can do

at least you will only have paid a weeks shopping money for it

Hi Ik,we do a lot with BCA,this is what you have got to do.You have a case,it was not a non runner.BCA blanket policy with trade complaints is,respond slowly,pass them on,don't help and they usually go away.I am surprised they have offered free delivery,they will probably now charge storage.Keep sending them emails,then threaten court action.It usually takes about 6 weeks before you will get somewhere.Dont accept the car,they do this all the time.

Thank you for the replies.

The Operations manager at Bedford said they checked CCTV/camera footage, and the car drove in to the hall, then back out again. I won the auction, the hammer went down, so the car is now mine, sold as seen.

I definitely won't be paying for storage! Car is being delivered today unfortunately. I can't see any decent argument that I can use.  

24 minutes ago, ik1980 said:

Thank you for the replies.

The Operations manager at Bedford said they checked CCTV/camera footage, and the car drove in to the hall, then back out again. I won the auction, the hammer went down, so the car is now mine, sold as seen.

I definitely won't be paying for storage! Car is being delivered today unfortunately. I can't see any decent argument that I can use.  

You did not say that you had accepted free delivery.You have no comeback on BCA now  !

Shit.

Just out of interest, if what they have said is true, then surely I don't have a choice?

I would say put it through as a resale for the following and pay any loss but since "now" it is a non runner you might be left with the majority of the bill and no car...

Sorry, but isn't this part of the risks of buying at auction & the reason retail customers pay us a wage?

It's shite when you buy a knacker but the way I see it is it's part of the game & you have to get on with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

Sorry, but isn't this part of the risks of buying at auction & the reason retail customers pay us a wage?

It's shite when you buy a knacker but the way I see it is it's part of the game & you have to get on with it.

Certainly is. I do grit my teeth when I bid online sometimes as you can't see / hear it in person so the risks of it breaking down / big problems are higher. Sometimes I got them cheap and when I went round to pick them up they seem fine to me.

Buying a car let alone an auto one online is risky business... What reg, mileage, and how much did you pay for it? Have to weigh up whether to repair and resell, or sell straight and lose money, part and parcel of this game unfortunately we've all been there. 

To be honest they have said the gearbox is knackered, but you don't know that until you receive the car and get it checked. 

The 'baptism of fire' for an auction car is being able to survive being driven by the Gone in 60 secs yard drivers!

How much did you pay for it. Is there enough fat in it to put another box in, if it does need a box?

Thanks for the replies people.

Its been delivered. Went to mechanics. It starts but sounds shit, doesn't sound to healthy. It does actually drive, but the gearbox jerks and doesn't go up or down in gear well. It might be OK with a fluid and filters change. Its an 07 plate ghia diesel. It has the shite CVT box, it has service history with 80 odd thousand, but to be honest I'm going to sell it as is and take the hit. It cost me £1000 so its not the end of the world. It happens.

I never dealt with BCA Bedford, they don't sound too great. 

It's unfortunate that different BCA branches act differently, some much more friendly whilst others are stone cold zombies.

North / South divide :lol:

Edited by Happy Gilmore

23 minutes ago, ik1980 said:

Its been delivered. Went to mechanics. It starts but sounds shit, doesn't sound to healthy. It does actually drive, but the gearbox jerks and doesn't go up or down in gear well. It might be OK with a fluid and filters change. Its an 07 plate ghia diesel. It has the shite CVT box, it has service history with 80 odd thousand, but to be honest I'm going to sell it as is and take the hit. It cost me £1000 so its not the end of the world. It happens.

So after all that,it does drive and you have had free delivery ! Someone on here might inform Bedford and you could get a bill for the delivery.

31 minutes ago, ik1980 said:

do yourself a flavour and never ever buy one of these again

even ford dealers run away when one comes in

58 minutes ago, ik1980 said:

Buy Ford spec CVT fluid when you do the change (I would even recommend getting it from the dealer). Correct fluid is essential with CVT trans.

Look, if you buy crap expect crap. It's there because it's crap, it amazes me the "no reserve" line, I watch sometimes and it's like watching flies attracted to a freshly laid turd.... No offence intended:)

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

No free lunches at the block

Too right. I availed myself of a chicken curry earlier on at Preston and I'm paying for it now.

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

No free lunches at the block

No, the bastards have never done anything special for me & if something's cheap it's cheap for a reason.

I rarely go to BCA auctions, but as far as cheapies are concerned Bedford is a bombsite. It must be the BCA nominated site for all their problem cars

3 hours ago, metcars said:

I rarely go to BCA auctions, but as far as cheapies are concerned Bedford is a bombsite. It must be the BCA nominated site for all their problem cars

+1 on this. Bought an absolute shed last week. Worst car I've ever bought

7 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

+1 on this. Bought an absolute shed last week. Worst car I've ever bought

That's not a burn on BCA, as in fairness, Manheim also have sites where all the old shit seems to end up (Wimbledon). I was a Manheim Northampton today for the first time in about 8yrs, I still don't know why they start at 1.30pm instead of 10.00?