Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

What really annoys you about customers ??

I'll start off with..... People who call my mobile with and don't leave a voicemail, and then you get the 3 missed calls within a 2 minutes and NO voicemail. Its so rude !!

parents on inspecting cars they allow there kids to climb inside and stand on the sill to get in etc <_<

windy days and little fingers in doors, come on mum control your little brats :o

they think they have a right, no mate, not till you buy it, its mine !:rolleyes:

When the car is, in their words, perfect for them; in budget, the best one within 40 miles, their favourite colour, the right spec, mint, they researched it and turned up on it, I haven't talked them into viewing it....and they need to think about it.

What do you need to think about and what do you think will be out there that is better?

It's a standard everyday thing but it makes me want to smash heads together. 

• Like 1

Just about everything, but here's a few.

The greedy bastards who phone want the best, but have shit money to spend AND then want a warranty. They all want to know the car end of a fart, service history, cambelt (I even told him the Peugeot dealership that changed it so he can phone to confirm), the fact it was just serviced by us 2 days ago, the new tyres it's just had & then wants to know what's the bottom price!! FFS it's a low mileage 2007 Peugeot with FSH, new service, new tyres & cambelt for £999!!!!! What do they want? Half an hour free ride on my Mrs as well??

The same greedy bastards on the phone who then introduce a trade in late into the deal. He won't answer a straight question (how difficult is "How long have you had the car for?"?), always starts talking shite. Needless to say his trade-in was pathetic, an 04 Astra, no history, owned it six weeks - wants £500. £50 would be nearer the mark.

Overly optimistic p/x prices (who cares if you paid £2500 last year for a 2.2 petrol Signum).

Arsehole midnight emailers obviously without a pot to piss in.

Greedy London based chancers expecting a car to be delivered from the North East for £50.

Punters offering a "cash deal" then wanting to pay by bank transfer, cheque, card (anything but cash!!) and asking for a fully itemised receipt. A cash deal to me means cash, f*%+ off & don't come back.

Scum who phone 11 months later complaining their car has just failed the MOT & demanding rectification monies somewhere close to what the paid a year ago for the car or they'll phone Trading Standards. Usually the online MOT reveals they've failed on a drop link, brake pads, tyres etc. but they want £1000 for major works (I.e. Taking the piss).

Punters coming for an appointment at let's say 2pm. If I wasn't there by the allotted time I'd phone to say I'm late, and give my new e.t.a. They turn up an hour or more late without a hint of an apology. Sometimes I give these ignorant & arrogant bastards very short shrift.

Punters on the phone "hold the car for me, I'm definitely buying it". I stopped doing that years ago for obvious reasons.

Punters viewing a car then mention there's a third party involved. If they mention their daughter etc. needs to be involved before they've test driven then I refuse the test drive. Bring EVERYONE who has a say in the deal.

Fussy pillocks (usually VAG men), crawling all over a £2000 car like it's a new Veyron. On their hands & knees at every corner looking down the sides for any dimples etc. They then return from the test drive & proceed to do the same again for another 15 minutes!! If they haven't bashed it on the test drive it's going to look the bloody same as when they set off, surely!?!!!!! 

Rant over (for now). Basically I'm annoyed by all of the "Champagne taste, lemonade money" twats that buy cheap cars.

That look they give you when you tell them thats your best price you can do sorry, like your making 80% mark up, i sometimes lose the will to live with the odd few, and say no problem if the deal isnt for you no worries if you come back make sure you see me i will get you a better deal you will know if i am here the Ferrari will be out the front.

:D:D:D

I do that but the cheek of the greedy unrealistic scum boils my piss.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

The greedy bastards who phone want the best, but have shit money to spend AND then want a warranty. They all want to know the car end of a fart, service history, cambelt (I even told him the Peugeot dealership that changed it so he can phone to confirm), the fact it was just serviced by us 2 days ago, the new tyres it's just had & then wants to know what's the bottom price!! FFS it's a low mileage 2007 Peugeot with FSH, new service, new tyres & cambelt for £999!!!!! What do they want? Half an hour free ride on my Mrs as well??

The same greedy bastards on the phone who then introduce a trade in late into the deal. He won't answer a straight question (how difficult is "How long have you had the car for?"?), always starts talking shite. Needless to say his trade-in was pathetic, an 04 Astra, no history, owned it six weeks - wants £500. £50 would be nearer the mark.

Overly optimistic p/x prices (who cares if you paid £2500 last year for a 2.2 petrol Signum).

Greedy London based chancers expecting a car to be delivered from the North East for £50.

Punters offering a "cash deal" then wanting to pay by bank transfer, cheque, card (anything but cash!!) and asking for a fully itemised receipt. A cash deal to me means cash, f*%+ off & don't come back.

Scum who phone 11 months later complaining their car has just failed the MOT & demanding rectification monies somewhere close to what the paid a year ago for the car or they'll phone Trading Standards. Usually the online MOT reveals they've failed on a drop link, brake pads, tyres etc. but they want £1000 for major works (I.e. Taking the piss).

Punters coming for an appointment at let's say 2pm. If I wasn't there by the allotted time I'd phone to say I'm late, and give my new e.t.a. They turn up an hour or more late without a hint of an apology. Sometimes I give these ignorant & arrogant bastards very short shrift.

Punters on the phone "hold the car for me, I'm definitely buying it". I stopped doing that years ago for obvious reasons.

Punters viewing a car then mention there's a third party involved. If they mention their daughter etc. needs to be involved before they've test driven then I refuse the test drive. Bring EVERYONE who has a say in the deal.

Fussy pillocks (usually VAG men), crawling all over a £2000 car like it's a new Veyron. On their hands & knees at every corner looking down the sides for any dimples etc. They then return from the test drive & proceed to do the same again for another 15 minutes!! If they haven't bashed it on the test drive it's going to look the bloody same as when they set off, surely!?!!!!! 

Rant over (for now). Basically I'm annoyed by all of the "Champagne taste, lemonade money" twats that buy cheap cars.

Thats just made me laugh, sad part is Im sat here agreeing with everything. That said they are not all arseholes, good percentage of genuine buyers are decent folk

I couldn't agree more, the genuine folks are decent - unfortunately 80% of contact aren't genuine. They're the Arseholes. TBH a customer is only someone who buys, NOT those who don't.

am I allowed to put people who struggle with English then chat in their own language? they assume I barter and haggle for best price last price cash price etc etc, I lock the door and walk away

It's threads like these which reign me in every time I deicide, right that's it I,m going full time. I think I would hate it.

Right now I pick and choose what I sell and whom I sell to. Nothing which attracts families! Nothing which attracts young tyre kickers. Nothing which attracts idiots. I also prep the cars properly, do anything which needs doing and don,t try to hide anything.

I operate strictly by appointment, deliberately make it quite difficult for the customer and make sure they have to make a proper effort if they want to view, so I,m pretty sure they are serious.

When they get here I am nice to them, give them my full attention and tell them right away that I won't try to sell them the car, they must want to buy...and if they don,t then the appointment I have lined up next will for sure. I also make it clear right at the start that the price is the price and is not negotiable.

A good percentage of my customers are (heading for middle age) Asian men whom I generally find are a pleasure to deal with. I also buy many cars privately from Asian families and again I always find them very polite and respectable. East Europeans I'm not so keen on. I generally like them as they are hard working and great if you want a job done, but hard work to buy a car from or sell one to.

I very rarely have problem customers and 9 times out of 10 (literally and statistically) the first to view a particular vehicle buys it)

That said, it may take me several weeks, even longer to attract even one viewer for any particular vehicle, but my thinking is...I only need one. I can literally go weeks without a single appointment and begin to think my phones cut of...then sell two or three and it's all fine again.

So, generally customers rarely piss me off. It's the non-customers, they ones who I make sure never get near my place who drive me nuts. I think if I allowed walk-ins I would probably end up killing someone.

6 hours ago, BHM said:

Well done for letting it off your chest :)

56 minutes ago, XFS said:

It's threads like these which reign me in every time I deicide, right that's it I,m going full time. I think I would hate it.

Right now I pick and choose what I sell and whom I sell to. Nothing which attracts families! Nothing which attracts young tyre kickers. Nothing which attracts idiots. I also prep the cars properly, do anything which needs doing and don,t try to hide anything.

I operate strictly by appointment, deliberately make it quite difficult for the customer and make sure they have to make a proper effort if they want to view, so I,m pretty sure they are serious.

When they get here I am nice to them, give them my full attention and tell them right away that I won't try to sell them the car, they must want to buy...and if they don,t then the appointment I have lined up next will for sure. I also make it clear right at the start that the price is the price and is not negotiable.

A good percentage of my customers are (heading for middle age) Asian men whom I generally find are a pleasure to deal with. I also buy many cars privately from Asian families and again I always find them very polite and respectable. East Europeans I'm not so keen on. I generally like them as they are hard working and great if you want a job done, but hard work to buy a car from or sell one to.

I very rarely have problem customers and 9 times out of 10 (literally and statistically) the first to view a particular vehicle buys it)

That said, it may take me several weeks, even longer to attract even one viewer for any particular vehicle, but my thinking is...I only need one. I can literally go weeks without a single appointment and begin to think my phones cut of...then sell two or three and it's all fine again.

So, generally customers rarely piss me off. It's the non-customers, they ones who I make sure never get near my place who drive me nuts. I think if I allowed walk-ins I would probably end up killing someone.

XFS, your a man out of my own book. Your approach is very similar to mine, however I'm even more protective of my time :) I only appoint people who have watched my full video appraisal and have confirmed with an (upfront deposit) their intent to buy on the basis of my description. I never appoint anyone who just wants to "av a look". They have to confirm with a deposit that they are genuine buyers. 

The more i think about it the more i think i pick the customers these days not the other way around, I just told a right snooty mare and her spoilt rotten brat of a son they might be better of looking for a different car in another garage.

3 hours ago, XFS said:

you deal with middle aged Asian men and have no issues? Are you really in the trade?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BHM said:

Fussy pillocks (usually VAG men), crawling all over a £2000 car like it's a new Veyron. On their hands & knees at every corner looking down the sides for any dimples etc.

I find this funny at auctions when people dressed like they roll in money checking out the £20k+ cars and leaning on them.... and they bid on all the sub £1k junk...inspecting it with a magnifying glass :lol:

7 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Who ??

XFS, I have never managed to deal Asian middle aged men, its impossible, I have worked main agent and independants, the younger ones yes but the older ones never

I've had same issues in retail with Asians around here they seem to like to buy from fellow Asians the amount of time I used to waste measuring and pricing job got daft. Even on a job where they wanted it for 1500 said 1200 and still didn't get it

now I let them wander around and do what they want be polite say hi etc but that's it 

complete waste of time in fairness exactly the same as the Jewish community waste hours of your time then never buy anything. The Jewish community asleays seem to buy from themselves but find neee to waste everyone's time running around pricing jobs etc with no intention to buy a thing from you!

24 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

XFS, I have never managed to deal Asian middle aged men, its impossible, I have worked main agent and independants, the younger ones yes but the older ones never

I,m on drugs yes. Prescription ones. Never taken an illegal one in my life.

I can only speak as I find. My Asian customers tend to be in the 30 to 40 group (heading for middle age as I said)

last week I dealt with a father and son. The son was buying, the father was paying. Both were gentlemen. The chap I bought that particular car from was also an Asian around 35. His mother made me the best cup of tea I,ve ever had and fed me chocolate biscuits.

As I type this I,m on my way to the Midlands to buy a car from another Asian family and all the signs are that the car will be as described and the deal will be smooth.

I may be controversal here but I think I score with Asian people because I give the older ones who,s English is not great a bit of time and patience and try to understand them. Also, I think a lot of buyers (and sellers) immediately switch off and lose interest as soon as they hear an Asian voice on the line. A bit of respect goes a long way.

• Like 1

after dealing with punters for years and years I speak as i find, respect is never an issue with me, the fact is they want money off before, after and during the sale and then proceed not to buy is my problem, I assume you're of the same heritage? This may help you, I was talking to a sales manager in Toyota the other day, 40 years in the trade and he has just given up, they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

you deal with middle aged Asian men and have no issues? Are you really in the trade?

Haha, I thought that. I couldn't believe what I was reading that I reread the original paragraph twice.

1 hour ago, XFS said:

Also, I think a lot of buyers (and sellers) immediately switch off and lose interest as soon as they hear an Asian voice on the line. A bit of respect goes a long way.

That's because the accent is usual accompanied by an offer so absurd it's verging on the offensive. However you definitely have a point because I certainly mentally switch-off the moment I hear their accent & just wait for the drivel to spew out of their mouths - which doesn't take long!

I believe respect goes a long way but you want to try telling them boys. A deal is never a deal with them, they'll turn up mob handed 3 hours late & expect to waste hours of your time insulting your intelligence constantly trying to chip away at the price.

I welcome anyone irrespective of ethnicity, religion, sexual persuasion, nationality & political beliefs but I can count on the fingers of one hand (actually only 40% of those fingers) that I've had an easy deal with Asian community - I've actually had more success selling to Nigerians living in London coming up to the grim north.

Edited by BHM

and then short change you with the inevitable cash they produce, I just say car is sold now, a funny aside I had a gent phone up tring to sound English upper class till I said no offers

• Like 1