Happy Gilmore

Received an unlicensed letter from DVLA

I had to visit London on a family emergency last week on Sunday night and because I had sold my own car I took a stock car.

The next morning (Monday) I found a yellow "untaxed vehicle" sticker under my wiper but without a clamp...the sticker further said a report has been sent to the DVLA for enforcement action. I taxed it straightaway on the same day I got the yellow sticker.

Today I receive a letter from the DVLA (dated Tuesday) under Sections 29 and 46 of the Excise and Registration Act 1994 - asking for details of the owner / driver.

Originally I thought it was a prank, you only see the yellow stickers when you have been clamped.

Are they looking to prosecute?

Any advice in these tough times will be appreciated.... :P

Edited by Happy Gilmore

pay up and learn your lesson:)

hopefully it shows up as being insured at the time?

you did put it on the MID?

i dont think theres passenger assist to australia anymore though if that helps

As above pay up. You picked the wrong place to drive an untaxed car. There are ANPR cameras from many agencies on major routes into London, that explains why you weren't clamped. If you're lucky they'll just make you pay a years tax, but if they find out you're trade you're likely to get a fine and they can fine you heavily.

26 minutes ago, metcars said:

As above pay up. You picked the wrong place to drive an untaxed car. There are ANPR cameras from many agencies on major routes into London, that explains why you weren't clamped. If you're lucky they'll just make you pay a years tax, but if they find out you're trade you're likely to get a fine and they can fine you heavily.

I already setup the direct debit on the road tax. 

When i rang up i was told i would need to register the car in my name... and have private insurance not traders. 

Seriously they know how to make life hard. Add an owner on the car so you can drive it and that makes punters weary. Am not saying what i did was right but some times a bit of common sense is needed!

That's the thing I got a caught on a little quiet road in the woods. The controlled parking didn't kick in till 11am and on the letter the time was 0901am. So am guessing it wasn't a traffic warden i dont know if they do road tax checks..

When you tax a car mid month it backdates it to the start of the month... yet they may prosecute for no tax before that? And i only had since start of July! 

Utter bollocks! It'll be at least 20+ years before they abolish this backdate to start of month tax system and lose the remainder months tax.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

56 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

When i rang up i was told i would need to register the car in my name... and have private insurance not traders. 

do you understand the consequences of what this sentence means

can i also ask why you consider it reasonable to drive a stock in trade car without considering the previous owner and the grief they might get 

1 hour ago, metcars said:

Seriously they know how 

34 minutes ago, s and b said:

do you understand the consequences of what this sentence means

can i also ask why you consider it reasonable to drive a stock in trade car without considering the previous owner and the grief they might get 

As i stated it was a one off family emergency in the middle of the night. These things do happen and the last thing on anyones mind at a time like this is road tax. I sold my vehicle on Saturday evening. So had absolutely no time in between. 

To answer your point about grief. I can evidently say they got none as the dvla wrote to me.... we all learn something new everyday eh? 

Sorry new to this so if I add car to my trade policy how do I tax it? If I want to use it myself thanks 

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Sorry new to this so if I add car to my trade policy how do I tax it? If I want to use it myself thanks 

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Seriously they know how to make life hard. Add an owner on the car so you can drive it and that makes punters weary. Am not saying what i did was right but some times a bit of common sense is needed!

Just so that I understand correctly:

You know you were in the wrong but want it to be ignored because you had 'special circumstances' and the rules shouldn't be applied to you because you don't want them to. In fact, you'd prefer it if the previous keeper of the car (that you own and drove) took the wrap on your behalf. It's a blessing you weren't involved in an accident - that would really have got messy.

Sadly, it's reality check time. You aren't going to be getting a huge amount of sympathy any time soon. Sorry.

Hi

Just picking brains as usual so he should have just put trader plates on and everything would have been ok?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Hi

Just picking brains as usual so he should have just put trader plates on and everything would have been ok?

Thanks

The Police now actively hunt for untaxed/unregistered cars as scumbags tend to use them as pool cars. I don't think trade plates would cover "family emergencies" or we'd all have one every day?

4 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

Just so that I understand correctly:

You know you were in the wrong but want it to be ignored because you had 'special circumstances' and the rules shouldn't be applied to you because you don't want them to. In fact, you'd prefer it if the previous keeper of the car (that you own and drove) took the wrap on your behalf. It's a blessing you weren't involved in an accident - that would really have got messy.

Sadly, it's reality check time. You aren't going to be getting a huge amount of sympathy any time soon. Sorry.

Where did I say in any one of my posts that the rules shouldn't apply to me? Please do point it out.

Either you fail to grasp the English language or you are visually impaired. If the latter you shouldn't be driving.

Again, at no point I mentioned the previous keeper should take the rap. I have already stated the DVLA wrote to me directly, so to speak their records are up to date and nothing has gone back on the previous owner. 

It would help if you read and digest the facts before you dish out the assumptions. Perhaps I should come round and pin the bloody death certificate on your forehead...

I really wonder if you're honest with your HMRC Taxes, those that point out the blame on others usually have a dark and dirty past themselves... how's that for an assumption?

To sum it up for you, because you had a raging hardon, what I asked was " Are they looking to prosecute?"

In future speak to others how you want to be spoken to.

I thought my tax was paid monthly, but apparently I paid in full just before new system came In effect. 

Accountant mentioned this checked in gov site and hadn't been taxed for 4 months rang and held hands up had to pay tax and fine think it was 60 quid but that's as far as it went

i know it's slightly different but wouldn't think they would prosecute. Expect a fine and paying the tax

sorry to hear about your loss, thoughts with you and family

22 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Where did I say in any one of my posts that the rules shouldn't apply to me? Please do point it out.

Either you fail to grasp the English language or you are visually impaired. If the latter you shouldn't be driving.

Again, at no point I mentioned the previous keeper should take the rap. I have already stated the DVLA wrote to me directly, so to speak their records are up to date and nothing has gone back on the previous owner. 

It would help if you read and digest the facts before you dish out the assumptions. Perhaps I should come round and pin the bloody death certificate on your forehead...

I really wonder if you're honest with your HMRC Taxes, those that point out the blame on others usually have a dark and dirty past themselves... how's that for an assumption?

To sum it up for you, because you had a raging hardon, what I asked was " Are they looking to prosecute?"

If you was to get flashed by speeding camera, or get parking ticket, it use to go back to the last registered owner regardless if it was registered in trade, maybe it's changed now. It happened to me, had to write so many letters. 

In London they have cars driving up and down all day with a anpr cameras searching for cars with no tax, you'd be surprised the amount of cars I see clamped with no tax. 

Regarding the insurance, are you sure you was even insured to drive it. I know my insurance would be invalidated if I drove one of my stock cars for private use regardless of emergency. When I add a car I have to pick trade or private, if Its my own private car it has to be registered in my name. So double check. 

I'll definitely just register the car in your name, just in case, as they are aware of the car now or try sell ASAP. 

Edited by NoMargin
Bad vocabulary

On 22/07/2017 at 5:28 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

You admitted taking an untaxed, unregistered and probably uninsured vehicle into London. Who did you want to be responsible?

Thank you for the medical advice, although I 'assume' you aren't qualified to give it.

So, if it is taxed and registered in your name, what was your point?

It would help if you gave the facts you wish to be discussed in a manner that could be digested. If you just want everyone to agree and sympathise with you, don't post asking for opinions.

People in glass houses...

I suggest you seek qualified legal advice, rather than listening to a blind, illiterate, horny tax-dodger like me.

Ditto

On 23/7/2017 at 3:52 AM, NoMargin said:

If you was to get flashed by speeding camera, or get parking ticket, it use to go back to the last registered owner regardless if it was registered in trade, maybe it's changed now. It happened to me, had to write so many letters. 

In London they have cars driving up and down all day with a anpr cameras searching for cars with no tax, you'd be surprised the amount of cars I see clamped with no tax. 

Regarding the insurance, are you sure you was even insured to drive it. I know my insurance would be invalidated if I drove one of my stock cars for private use regardless of emergency. When I add a car I have to pick trade or private, if Its my own private car it has to be registered in my name. So double check. 

I'll definitely just register the car in your name, just in case, as they are aware of the car now or try sell ASAP. 

Cheers for that.

To close the grey area off they go on the insurance database thesedays as that is a little more accurate so to speak as that is the bigger fine people will most likely have the car insurance. Essentially all 3 databases can be checked if the police want to; ownership, insurance and road tax.

No I had already checked with the insurance at the time of taking the policy out. It was on my list of many questions when I took the policy out and I ensured that I wasn't speaking to an apprentice! 

6 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

Quite pathetic, post in digestable format for you? Seriously make me laugh, born without brains but with brawns? 

Funny how big boys like you do all the talk behind a monitor... keep at it son. 

On 22/07/2017 at 5:28 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Quite pathetic, post in digestable format for you? Seriously make me laugh, born without brains but with brawns? 

Funny how big boys like you do all the talk behind a monitor... keep at it son.

Duly noted, dad. Apologies for any offence caused; I was just joining in the discussion you started. You should have said at the beginning you only want contributions from people that agree with you.

Fact is, you've been on the forum a week now and you clearly know nothing about me or anyone else on here. But we've certainly found out a lot about you. So, in future, I'll keep my contrary opinions and judgements to myself. In the hope that you might do the same.

26 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Duly noted, dad. Apologies for any offence caused; I was just joining in the discussion you started. You should have said at the beginning you only want contributions from people that agree with you.

Fact is, you've been on the forum a week now and you clearly know nothing about me or anyone else on here. But we've certainly found out a lot about you. So, in future, I'll keep my contrary opinions and judgements to myself. In the hope that you might do the same.

There you again assuming again.

Like I said keep hiding behind the monitor son. Alternatively, put money where your mouth is and drop me your number and let's see what you got to say for yourself. Would love to pay you a visit see what you got to say in person....

Oh yes the big dealer, behind a screen, rolling in the big bucks yet been on here for 4 years? haha actions do speak louder than words. 

Like I said put money where your mouth is or alternatively continue your little petty jibes on the internet zzz

you're proving a real hit on here, threatening people whilst calling others racist/redneck. BTW it's bought not brought

Ok ok ok... it's time to play nicely. This is a forum that's set up for dealers to help other dealers. It's no place for abuse or fisty cuffs. There's enough of that out there ruining the world. 

Put simply: play nice or go play somewhere else. 

Life is too short for arguing in forums... go outside and enjoy the fresh air :)

• Like 2

Just now, James Baggott said:

Ok ok ok... it's time to play nicely. This is a forum that's set up for dealers to help other dealers. It's no place for abuse or fisty cuffs. There's enough of that out there ruining the world. 

Life is too short for arguing in forums... go outside and enjoy the fresh air :)

peace_sign_tie_dye_groovy_colors_classic

10 minutes ago, MattGM said:

peace_sign_tie_dye_groovy_colors_classic

Peace pipe maaaannnn :) We can all disagree, but lets all agree with only low level offence... If you want to start offering people out, its for you to show your prowess  and Show us how big they are.... Me thinks you have marbles...My friend.....PEACE :)  

22 minutes ago, James Baggott said:

James, I like the fact you actually let this forum be a forum and let the boys have a scrap, you only start to knock heads when its heading the wrong way.

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

you're proving a real hit on here, threatening people whilst calling others racist/redneck. BTW it's bought not brought

Well well, there was no threat in what i said. Isit me or is this forum full of arrogant people who misinterpret?

All I inclined to your friend was am a little old fashioned and I really don't do the whole hide behind the monitor and talk a load of rubbish. It's simple really if you won't say something to someone in person or over the phone then don't say it online - this should be taught to Today's society...

Am not responsible for a lifeless numpty who misinterprets and takes everything out of context.

I just endeavoured to explain it to him in a range of different ways...but looks like he's disappeared (after appearing online several times) and sent you to fight his battles.

Just for your information because you're sitting behind a screen it doesnt mean you can hide and say / do what you like

And a word of advice: playing hard man on here whilst boasting your business online isnt wise... piss off some nutter and you won't be worried about "threats" your entire stock might be gone in 60 seconds.... 

As if some handbags on a forum turns into a load of toss about stock getting nicked :lol:

Chill your shit fella, it's only the internets. End of the day opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, some of them stink. Move on, life's too short as you seem very much aware. Don't be saying rubbish like that, it makes you look a c**t ;)