Sign in to follow this  
Happy Gilmore

Petrol Audis - hard sellers?

It is my second experience with a petrol Audi and it also appears to be a hard seller.

The first was a 2005 A4, 2.0l Quattro with 98k miles - took a £400 loss.

The current is an 2009 A3 sportback 1.8T, 90k with service history - no calls as of yet....

It's like no one wants them / they hate them!

Have others had similar experiences?

You've answered you post yourself. Desperate cars, as I always say those "prestige German car buyers" are nowt but penniless greedy big-talkers - they shit themselves at anything less than 50mpg. It's the same with all VAG cars as far as I can tell. Give me a nice Honda man any day of the week.

Good luck - I recently just wiped my nose on a one owner, 2007 1.8T petrol Skoda Octavia estate with FSSH & new tyres after it took up residence for 7 months. In the end I priced it so cheaply that a Scottish taxi driver bought it! 

I've done well lately with petrol anything, mostly down to the diesel scaremongering. In fact the more ridiculous (£500 tax 12MPG) it is the better.

As for petrol Audis...I have a similar sounding 61 plate A3 1.8T with 75k so we can have a little competition as to whose goes first!

Always done well with sub 8k A3s and the petrol engine makes this one book cheaply for a 61 plate IMO...add to that some people swearing they'll never buy diesel again and it's gotta be winner winner chicken dinner....surely?

The 2.0 FSIs and TFSIs are a dog of an engine anyway. The older 1.8 20v much better.

Interesting Post... I took back in px in may a 09/59 52,000 mile Audi A3 1.4tfsi... haven't opened the door on it.. it was owned by a retired doctor and wants for nothing.. This is no joke I have literally just taken a lead on the car half an hour ago from a spot advert on A/T  from a local lad looking to appoint on Friday... he asked if evening viewings were possible...   anytime sir...we work around you! 

Edited by Rick H

I have never struggled with Mk1 TT's I still think they are a great looking car and will happily buy tidy ones. In fact I have my eye on a very clean 2002 225 at the moment.

I sold a B5 S4 Avant (2.7 Bi Turbo model) Those things have a huge following. Could have sold it 100 times over

As for the more modern stuff I'd rather have Chlamydia.  

On 18/7/2017 at 6:49 PM, grant8064 said:

I've done well lately with petrol anything, mostly down to the diesel scaremongering. In fact the more ridiculous (£500 tax 12MPG) it is the better.

As for petrol Audis...I have a similar sounding 61 plate A3 1.8T with 75k so we can have a little competition as to whose goes first!

Always done well with sub 8k A3s and the petrol engine makes this one book cheaply for a 61 plate IMO...add to that some people swearing they'll never buy diesel again and it's gotta be winner winner chicken dinner....surely?

Yes that's what I would have thought. But guess as usual people dont care how much tax they might have to pay for having a diesel or they will shit themselves when it all kicks in....

Yes it was very cheap in the hall but I am not selling it at forecourt price.... it's far less!

It was cheap in the hall cos it wasn't wanted. We've all been taken by the temptation of a low price, but as for it being below forecourt price that must mean with regards to CAP figures - if I relied upon their valuations on 50% of cars I'd be in the poor house.

We all do it, but this is your second. I wouldn't rush to make it a third.

Edited by BHM

On 20/7/2017 at 2:44 PM, BHM said:

It was cheap in the hall cos it wasn't wanted. We've all been taken by the temptation of a low price, but as for it being below forecourt price that must mean with regards to CAP figures - if I relied upon their valuations on 50% of cars I'd be in the poor house.

We all do it, but this is your second. I wouldn't rush to make it a third.

Certainly won't.

Had a chap come round the other day, he wanted me to drive it for him and I insisted he should as he's wanting to part with £7k and it's only fair (general rule of politeness & fair treatment so they can't say it was faulty after the brought it).

Anyway, he drove it and loved it. He wanted something a little more off the price, £800 from the asking price and after some negotiation both were happy with a £500 reduction. He said he will be back the next morning but disappeared since... ;)

I would still walk away with more than a grand of profit after giving him £500 off... fish slipped out of my net! :lol:

There's one petrolhead out there... I know it!

55 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Certainly won't.

Had a chap come round the other day, he wanted me to drive it for him and I insisted he should as he's wanting to part with £7k and it's only fair (general rule of politeness & fair treatment so they can't say it was faulty after the brought it).

Anyway, he drove it and loved it. He wanted something a little more off the price, £800 from the asking price and after some negotiation both were happy with a £500 reduction. He said he will be back the next morning but disappeared since... ;)

I would still walk away with more than a grand of profit after giving him £500 off... fish slipped out of my net! :lol:

There's one petrolhead out there... I know it!

That's what a deposit is for...

59 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

That's what a deposit is for...

I know... but I didn't remove any ads he said he is local and didn't have cash on him in person. He was only 6 miles away to be fair, but turned up later than he said he will. Always a tell tale sign...

It's just all the genuineness people express and show...and then I don't know what happens to them. Lol.

Fair enough if he didn't like me or the price was too high, but it wasn't like that. From my background of work I can adjust and get on any "level" with a person and people find it easy to talk to me - for business and pleasure.

Sometimes I have no idea what is going on in punters heads - I sell a bit of cheap dross (so not quite in your Audi territory) but it's all safe & sound.

I've just shown someone a small car - it's cheap because it's got plenty of miles on it & was a p/x. 2007, Fiesta, one owner from new, FSH, recent tyres all round, recent full exhaust system, runs like a dream, good spec. etc. A punter has walked away to think about it. It ticks all the boxes & I'm punting it out at £700 to move it on quick. Her car is knackered, she'd seen 2 others today which were both faulty, mine has absolutely no problems at all & if the daughter was old enough to drive she'd get it to smash up, sorry I mean learn her roadcraft - what the hell do punters want for pushbike money?

Good luck with the Audi, everything goes in the end but punters nowadays want the earth.