Muzo

Bmw 320d se any idea

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I know for a fact I cant, but theres only one way to learn and this site is very helpful. Think without a doubt if I go to auctions I need to take a mechanic and try and learn the basics myself asap. Before coming on here and talking to people like yourself I would have probs went to auctions got bid up and bought someones elses problem. Plus people like yourself have helped me out no end and probs already saved me thousands. But I need to learn about the mechanics and need to get the basics learned pretty quick, not sure how but need to desperately look into it. I was in engineering for over 10 years but cars are a whole new ball game, I probably wouldn't have heard a knocking flywheel but definitely will listen for it now

I'm not as worried about the sales as done if for years in various industries b2b and retail. But again need to look at legal side as that's different for every industry

I'm hopefully in this for the long haul and currently don't need to make money doing it but I do need to gain a massive amount of knowledge in a short amount of time, I'm giving myself a year and if it works great if not as long as I tried my best I will walk away happy. Most of all I need to enjoy it and think I will

Thanks For help from all especially andy

Knowledge comes with experience, experience takes time. 

You need eyes up your backside to buy anything at the Washington as there's PLENTY of shite to sift through there & from what I saw recently people are paying strong money for pisspoor cars - indeed look at yourself - you've got about £3500 in an 11yr old diesel 3 series. You could buy a proper one with a test drive from eBay for less than that! If I had to rely upon purchasing my stock from there I'd soon be in the Jobcentre.

We've all been caught in the past, get rid for whatever peanuts you can get but if you think you're going to wipe your nose at the block with a "P/x direct" or "no name" sticker then you must be sniffing glue. 

As you're trading & are new to the game you must be doorstepping - I'd suggest you leave all of the mid range German dross to the pitch lads. The fussy, greedy & overcautious "prestige German car buyers" (all big talk, small pocket merchants imo) aren't what you'll make any money out of on your doorstep.

Just my two penneth worth, I don't mean to sound harsh but this is how I see it.

• Like 2

Nobody said it was going to be easy!

My only advice would be stick to something cheap and uncomplicated like Corsas, Clios or C1/107 type things and buy and sell and buy and sell and buy and sell until you learn what works and what doesn't.

They're always in demand, the parts are generally quite cheap, there is less to go wrong and less money is risked. Once you learn a few things then maybe think about other stock.

Starting up trading and diving straight into ten year old German diesels and prestige stuff sounds pretty damn crazy to me. 

Diesel 3 series still scare me a bit let alone in the beginning.

Try working at an indy garage for 12 months sweeping the floors. You'll get paid f**k all (in fairness so do mechanics) but after 12 months you'll know what a clattery dmf sounds like, you'll know what a Corsa timing chain that's about to jump off sounds like, and you'll know what an engine burning it's oil smells like, amongst many, many other things.

thanks could be an option I need to understand the mechanical side or I'm going to be in trouble

Oh come on, it's no option, I said it in jest. You're clearly a savvy man from your other business ventures, you're not about to seriusly go and be a garage bitch for £7.50ph.

The point I, and others make is real though, somehow you need to get experience of the trade to know the pitfalls. Not sure how that fits in, in a workable situation as you're obviously, perhaps understandably not going to jump into a minimum wage job to get this experience at your stage.

Why isn't it an option? It could well be not necessarily a year. I'm stuggling to see any other way to gain the necessary knowledge. More likely I just need to spend maybe a few month picking everyones brain in a garage while tidying up and helping do what ever is needed. Think a few months of free labour in exchange for getting the basics I need is fair. I know I wont learn much in few months but sure I will gain a knowledge of major faults. That on its own could save me thousands on buying problem cars.

Ive been in various businesses over the years and starting to realise that this ones probably by far the hardest, which I love who wants an easy life! Plus think il enjoy it that's the main thing

lol Age is irrelevant I think if I want to make a go of it I need to learn and cant see nother way of picking up the basics quickly, or alternatively I just employ a mechanic buy what I want and he will be more than busy lol

That's very pricey for a repair on a 2006. Haven't you been elsewhere? The most we've paid for a 320d engine rebuild was £1300.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

lol Age is irrelevant I think if I want to make a go of it I need to learn and cant see nother way of picking up the basics quickly, or alternatively I just employ a mechanic buy what I want and he will be more than busy lol

I think that somebody is living in cloud cuckoo land!

4 hours ago, Cornish Guy said:

I think that somebody is living in cloud cuckoo land!

+ 1

Even the most experienced buy Lemons, the key is to get out of them asap. Take the loss and move on.  When I first started I averaged a loss on 1 in 10, now its more like 1 - 20.... sell it quickly so you can re-invest and concentrate on making more money  :) 

Thank you for your advice you right even experts makes mistakes I think that is how you learn 

Tradegirl thank you for you advise i got quoted £750 for reconditioned turbo all in get it fixed and get whatever i get cut my losses keep going until i get it right thank you 

• Like 1

I haven't had time to get to it yet mate it still drives really nice part from losing pover that is the main concern if it doesn't go i drive until I sell it thank you for your thought 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:51 PM, Muzo said:

Thank you for your advice you right even experts makes mistakes I think that is how you learn 

Tradegirl thank you for you advise i got quoted £750 for reconditioned turbo all in get it fixed and get whatever i get cut my losses keep going until i get it right thank you 

Glad you got it sorted. Hope you get another good profit in to balance it out!

2 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Glad you got it sorted. Hope you get another good profit in to balance it out!

Thank you:) 

Manheim fees are a bloody joke. I was going to join with them but then I thought no not worth it.

Good you got it sorted, the car would've cost £6k far from what it's worth. 

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Manheim fees are a bloody joke. I was going to join with them but then I thought no not worth it.

Good you got it sorted, the car would've cost £6k far from what it's worth. 

Thank you very for your support mate it's getting sorted be ready tomorrow now clutch new turbo be happy to get the money back we learn by mistakes thanks again

1 minute ago, Muzo said:

Thank you very for your support mate it's getting sorted be ready tomorrow now clutch new turbo be happy to get the money back we learn by mistakes thanks again

We sure do.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you might have brought the car that was either private or put in through by another trader - hence it conked out on you. 

Manheim, like BCA, will have different types of auctions and you might want to learn the type of auctions they are (e.g. where do the cars come from) and whether they come with inspection / mechanical reports.

I have just about learnt the BCA stuff and can't be doing with Manheim at the moment hence I gave them a miss for now at least.

Also the issue with bidding online is you can't see / hear the car in person. You miss out on when they start the car up, drive it, stop, any smoke, small noises, clutch movements etc etc.

I just find it hard to source decent cars that is why i go to auction its difficult get anything decent from private sellers most of them traders anyway its like hit and miss last few mistakes open my eyes never again buy any car before doing any home work thank you for your advice I appreciate it