Happy Gilmore

Taxing a stock vehicle

I have sold my own car and have 2 stock vehicles. I need to drive one to get about but how do I tax it?

If I use the green slip then it will cause a cock up when I come to sell the vehicle for the new owner. 

I really dont want to put the car on my name and sell it within a few weeks of the car being registered in my name. 

Has anyone got a way around this?

Any help will be appreciated. Cheers.

I will often tax a stock car using the green slip if I need something to run around in. Just set up a monthly direct debit and cancel it again when I have finished using the car.

Never had a problem taxing it again using the same green slip when it sells.

2 minutes ago, tradex said:

Use your trade plates;)

I can't really them on display overnight if I park on the road, either at home or away.

tax it on the green slip but put the first digit in differently to the one on the green slip, tax it on a dd an if you're like me, it'll sell before your first payment comes out!

56 minutes ago, Mat C said:

tax it on the green slip but put the first digit in differently to the one on the green slip, tax it on a dd an if you're like me, it'll sell before your first payment comes out!

Sorry, I've got to ask, why change the first digit?

And on the subject of cancelling the direct debits, be careful with the timing. not too soon not too late.

Edited by metcars

1 hour ago, Mat C said:

Do you change the first letters of your first and surnames as well? :P

my motor trade insurance is with LV  and they specifically will not allow you a car on the policy to smoke round in  unless its in my name

this caught me out the other week so i just registered a car in my name online and taxed( it twas free tax anyway:lol:) log book came back in 3 days,so it has another name at least i can confirm its a good car and can run on fumes:D

17 hours ago, metcars said:

Sorry, I've got to ask, why change the first digit?

And on the subject of cancelling the direct debits, be careful with the timing. not too soon not too late.

So that the green slip can be used ( properly ) to tax it for the new Keeper when you sell it. I'm pretty sure once you tax it on the slip with the proper doc ref code then it cant be done again. Or something like that anyway!

2 minutes ago, Mat C said:

So that the green slip can be used ( properly ) to tax it for the new Keeper when you sell it. I'm pretty sure once you tax it on the slip with the proper doc ref code then it cant be done again. Or something like that anyway!

Oh, right. I'm really surprised it goes through with a 'wrong' number?

You can, or certainly could last year, at a post office for some odd reason but only once doing it that way - I had a whinging punter who bought a shitter so I took it back off him the next week (£500 Mondeo with a £10 cam cover gasket leak - the pillock had spent his money on tax, insurance, oil & filter, reconditioned the alloys (yes, really), valeted it & had the A/C regased but shit himself at the oil leak - try working that out!) & resold two weeks later to a man with a brain.

I'm not sure of the situation if you tax it but don't transfer it into your name & have it for a few months.