MrC

Whats the Most you have ever lost on a car

I'm just about to blow my brains out on a Corsa. I wont know how much of a loss till the eBay auction ends next week. But to make me feel better Im wondering what epic loses other have had.

Well back late last year I took back in px a 2007 07 1 Owner from new Audi A4 2.0TDI Manual S line Quattro Estate..with about 3k worth of options, 90,000 miles with full Audi service history...thing was like new, drive perfectly and I thought what more could you ask for on that spec..  Well  A customer would of been great...Couldnt trade my way out and really struggled to retail it  ended up blowing £1800 on the metal, haven't thought about advertising cost.

I was expecting a Diesel S line Quattro estate to fly out!  It was in Garnet Red.. Bet if it was Black white or grey it would have gone. Sometimes I think its best just to get the money back and start again! 

Edited by Rick H

i dont back cars or horses as i know they will all fall at the first fence

what was the question again:P

Hi everyone hope you all well iam new here and my first post. here it goes I bought a audi a3 1,2L convertible 2011 reg 71K part service history beutifull car in blue cost £6.200 tried to sell £6995 at Autotrader for three weeks advertised  2calls didn't sell sold it to a carbuying company for £4600. iam learning the hard way thanks for reading 

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Well over 4K on a Range Rover

:unsure: What went wrong?  4k?  Prep Work or warranty?

£1200...not the worst loss compared to some but it was bad considering it was a chopper I took in for £600.

07 Sportage Diesel...turned up in chop with an EML but seemed worth going with.

New turbo, DPF, timing, and some paint and ready for retail at £3995.

Then did some injectors, new rear door mech, some sensors, lots of diagnostics costs, plenty of other stuff. Hated the thing in the end but had put so much in that I had to keep going with it. MOT threw up a load of other silly bits that all added up.

Worst of all was a seatbelt sensor that proved impossible to find anywhere apart from KIA who charged royally for it.

Hateful, hateful, hateful thing.

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

6 grand on a one month old Merc and it was years ago !

Im not even going to ask how

Edited by MrC

Reading this, my £650 loss on a low miles Porsche Cayman seems like small change. I've lost a few £££ here and there, but never anything major as yet. The loss on the Porsche really f**cked me off as it was an absolute gem of a car, flawless in fact. So it felt like a huge loss. I think it's easier to take a loss on a car you don,t like or has given you problems. The other loss I remember which really annoys me is the £300 loss on a '60 plate BMW estate, again a mint car with no faults.

Got a disco sat on the yard I refunded on earlier in the year. I have just left it sat there but its time to rip the plaster off. Engine is completely shot and so is the gearbox. Its going to be a few £k loss on this one :( Biggest loss to date incoming.

8 hours ago, MrC said:

Im not even going to ask how

You are right,it involves an Irish bank,negligence,an ultimatum,a wrong paying in book.......and selling my wife's car in a hurry !!

Slightly off thread, but one Friday I once lost 27k paying for some cars, my mistake as well. Luckily I got it back on Tuesday but that was one hard weekend.

8 minutes ago, sparky said:

Slightly off thread, but one Friday I once lost 27k paying for some cars, my mistake as well. Luckily I got it back on Tuesday but that was one hard weekend.

Sounds like a mislaid bankers draft.....

Just now, trade vet said:

Sounds like a mislaid bankers draft.....

About 10 years ago I started buy from Central Car Auctions. In the beginning, with no account and without an online banking facility it was a case of going to the bank, giving them the bank details of Central and the figure and they would do a chaps payment and give me a copy of the paperwork. So, a couple of weeks later I would do the same again but just use the original receipt altering the amount details only. In the mean time I had bought a car off AT Mail and used the same payment process to pay a dealer based in Manchester who I'd never used before but went with my gut and it turned out to be great buy. A few days later on the Thursday I  went to the bank wanting to pay Central 25k, gave the cashier the paperwork crossing out the previous amount replacing it with the new amount. Happy days. Well it was until I logged on to online banking the next day on the Friday. I'd only given the cashier the wrong receipt and rather than pay Central 25k I'd gone and paid the guy in Manchester 25k and from a banking point of view, there was nothing I could do about it, nothing. Luckily, the trader I had given the money to was a stella guy and after wetting himself about what had happened agreed to give me back the money on the following Monday, which he did, thank **** for that!

Looking back I still get a cold shiver about what I did and how  easily it could have gone the other way which would have been  goodnight Vienna.at the time. It's fair to say that whenever I do online payments now, it takes me a lot longer than it should do after I've checked, double checked and double double checked everything.

12 minutes ago, sparky said:

About 10 years ago I started buy from Central Car Auctions. In the beginning, with no account and without an online banking facility it was a case of going to the bank, giving them the bank details of Central and the figure and they would do a chaps payment and give me a copy of the paperwork. So, a couple of weeks later I would do the same again but just use the original receipt altering the amount details only. In the mean time I had bought a car off AT Mail and used the same payment process to pay a dealer based in Manchester who I'd never used before but went with my gut and it turned out to be great buy. A few days later on the Thursday I  went to the bank wanting to pay Central 25k, gave the cashier the paperwork crossing out the previous amount replacing it with the new amount. Happy days. Well it was until I logged on to online banking the next day on the Friday. I'd only given the cashier the wrong receipt and rather than pay Central 25k I'd gone and paid the guy in Manchester 25k and from a banking point of view, there was nothing I could do about it, nothing. Luckily, the trader I had given the money to was a stella guy and after wetting himself about what had happened agreed to give me back the money on the following Monday, which he did, thank **** for that!

Looking back I still get a cold shiver about what I did and how  easily it could have gone the other way which would have been  goodnight Vienna.at the time. It's fair to say that whenever I do online payments now, it takes me a lot longer than it should do after I've checked, double checked and double double checked everything.

Good story,you were lucky....if the guy had bank problems,the bank could have swiped your money.....!!

3K on a BMW 320si, refund then new timing chain and then sold again and the engine imploded and another refund and sold as spares/repair on ebay, it still haunts me now as the plate was cloned and i get regular calls from the police, it was last seen on fire somewhere on the borders, the cloned car not the piece of shit I had

About £3K on a Subaru - bloody 3.0 Outback. Never had a serious problem with the 4 cylinder engines but them H6s are cursed - 3 with issues in a row - this was the last one I'll ever touch.

Engine blew a gasket, a £1200 repair later, sold the car, promptly blew up 200 miles away, taken to court 6 months later for travel expenses etc.

Full refund + expenses & a couple of quid in court costs & interest. Eventually got car back, dumped it in a corner for 6 months & ended up raffling it off on eBay "spares & repairs". The bloody car was cursed - everything associated with it turned to shit, it couldn't even go quietly for spares/repairs. On collection the buyer's transport driver started getting very stroppy cos it wouldn't start (sold with the engine knackered) & it ended with me threatening to smack him in the street. Thanks Beechdale Subaru for that car.

I've never, and will never have, another 6 cylinder Subaru.

We always end up with one car in a year that will lose us a grand. Most recent was a Mazda 6 cost £3500, ended up selling it to wbac for £2400.

37 minutes ago, DHill said:

We always end up with one car in a year that will lose us a grand. Most recent was a Mazda 6 cost £3500, ended up selling it to wbac for £2400.

was it your own car then to sell to wbac?

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

was it your own car then to sell to wbac?

We had the car for 8 months so just registered the logbook and then sold it to them.

• Like 1

I might bump this thread again when I finally work out what to do with the Santa Fe that is beyond well out of bed and i'm choosing to ignore for another few months

Probably got a heavy loss coming on a 12 plate Astra when its finally out of the garage. Bought online via Manheim, when i collected it was smoking and running like a pile of poo, at that point i should of just re-entered it and taken the hit then and there. Instead i took a chance thinking it was just the turbo, turns out the engine is knackered and the mechanic has still not got to the bottom of it 2 months later.

Will be happy if i only lose £1k on it!

Just lost £1200 on the nighmare Corsa I have had since January. Oh well at least the Sun is shining and I have loads of interest in my VW T5 camper I have for sale with a big profit in

£3000 on a 2012 Focus that ended up with chassis damage we didn't know about (bought blind online) Had it for over a year, but we were so happy to get rid of it even with such a loss!