Sign in to follow this  
BHM

Your Opinions please

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I recently sold a two owner from new car, with FSH up to last May, £1500 car (not that that matters under CRA so please save me the lecture). My advert clearly stated "the car is due a service based on time so you should budget for a service". In addition to this I discounted the car by £100.

Suspecting a fussy customer (greedy ebayer) who insisted upon a fully itemised receipt, I wrote these two following items on the invoice;

1 "advert states 'budget for service'"

2 "an additional £100 contribution made towards maintenance"

Sods law, the engine light came on the next day, car drives perfectly but the fault code is EGR. Anyhow, because of the points 1 & 2 on the invoice I've chased away the customer. I believe I'm correct as it was declared in the advert for all to see AND as a goodwill gesture I'd already contributed an additional £100 towards maintenance which, because of point 1, I didn't need to do anyway.

Your thoughts please.

why would a service sort an EGR error (devils advocate), you could knock £500 and the punters rights are exactly the same, I once knocked £250 off to do a timing belt service, guess what they didn't do and guess what happened, cost me an engine

Was the light on when you bought the car?  No..

Bye

Like it or not it it's your responsibility. You made a £100 discount to secure the deal, not to help them with maintenance, they've had the car a day. Sort it out.

• Like 1

they could argue that you turned the light off prior to them collecting

you wont win this one

appraise the car again with a view to full refund and fix fault and retail for more money as it sounds a decent car if you dont like them

• Like 1