Pringle43

Vehicle Return

A customer has had the vehicle just under 3 month and has decided they want to return it for a refund, reason given is that there is an intermittent fault causing the ABS light to come on.

They brought the car to the garage today and as it was in the workshop I had a look at it, since owning it they have scuffed down one side, smashed the corner of the front bumper and the car stinks of cat/dog.

Whilst I'm happy to carry out any repairs where would I stand in this if they did insist on a refund?

If you're nearly 3 months in it would seem like it's not a fault that was present at the time of sale. Did you include a warranty? If so, how long and is the ABS system covered? Why are they asking for a refund? Have they had other problems? 

I'm sure this will get more replies but with the limited info you've given I'd say the grounds for a refund are close to non-existent and that their insistence on one off the bat is a bit odd. 

They are just being awkward unfortunately,we address an issue and they then try and find another, they are hell bent on wanting their money back.  I was half tempted to give them their money back as I cant be bothered with the hassle, however after seeing the car it prompted me to ask about where we would stand in terms of a vehicle being rejected when it has been bashed and bruised and stinks of dog.

2 hours ago, Pringle43 said:

They are just being awkward unfortunately,we address an issue and they then try and find another, they are hell bent on wanting their money back.  I was half tempted to give them their money back as I cant be bothered with the hassle, however after seeing the car it prompted me to ask about where we would stand in terms of a vehicle being rejected when it has been bashed and bruised and stinks of dog.

I really hate customers like this. Someone else needs to weigh in but I'm sure you can either reject it or make fair allowances to recommission it to the standard at the time of sale.

Make a list of everything it needs:

Valet - £200

Paint - £500

And deduct that from the offer - to Joe Public I'd suggest £500 on paint wouldn't be unrealistic and might shoe them away..

They can't reject it. They can only reject in the first 30 days if the car is unfit for purpose and they can prove the fault was present when you sold it. 

Wear n tear is not covered buy the CRA15, don't bend over and be bullied. If the car shows character for its age and mileage that should be expected. Be reasonable and repair what you are only liable to repair....nothing else

23 hours ago, Pringle43 said:

Whilst I'm happy to carry out any repairs where would I stand in this if they did insist on a refund?

in front of the judge on the day with your well laid out paperwork stipulating all youve done and your reasons why you refused to refund

if you can stand the heat do that but it normally takes about 9 months all up 

Customer has the right to reject in 30 days if the fault was present at the time of sale, this can be difficult to prove in most cases. Always get them to sign a pdi sheet or use a lawgis pad as in reality its you who will be proving it was sound at sale. 

After 30 days the customer can only obtain a refund after a request for a repair has been carried out and the fault is still present (failed repair). You can deduct reasonable cost which some say could be £12-£15 per day and any other reasonable cost. So damage could be deducted and maybe a valet.

However we balance between chancers taking the piss and customers  dealing with genuine claims and providing good customer service. 

Today a customer came in with a Mazda 5 we sold them 6 weeks ago, complaining about a oil leak, now he has done 2500 mile since he bought it. its leaking from cam box so 2-3 hours work and some sealant to fix. I could argue the toss with them but other than time of one of my staff and some sealant it will cost me £40 with his wage lost not working on other jobs to fix. Its not worth the hassle and the customer is made up 

And I can claim the money for fixing back out of the warranty fund.

In your case its just an egr valve, not going to be the end of world to sort it, if you think they are going to come back every time they hear a noise then just refund and move on but shaft them on the damage, END OF THE DAY ITS YOUR LEGAL RIGHT UNDER CRA15 :lol:

10 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

claimant vs defendant, we need to start a new thread :lol:

in a recent poll 96 out of 100 would never buy a used car again :D

case dismissed 

News just in:

"Car dealer found innocent of anything!"

:D