Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Smart Car Advice

Got a customer who has clearly taken leave of their senses and wants a Smart Car, the funny two seater thing.  Looking at around 3k to buy in, apart from making sure they have not been used to deliver Pizzas in, is there anything else I need to know and look out for?

Diolch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, metcars said:

Don't do it!

I know I know I know. But it's a 100% goer. They can't be that bad, can they......?

Broken springs are quite common and a bit of a pita.

And exhausts are silly expensive...

Hand grenades

they should all be crushed once manufacturers warranty runs out

Engines are a ticking time bomb, and engine swaps are part of ownership. Especially when young guys start driving them 'hard'.  If he wants something quirky buy a beach buggy

Edited by metcars

You are not going to believe this chaps. 

Customer calls about a car today, basically wants it from the off but doesn't know if I will take his part ex. It only turns out to be a bloody smart car, more or less the same as one I've got tracked on auction view for Monday. He views, we shake hands, deal done, happy days. 

The Lord works in mysterious ways. And with that, I'm off for a pint. Cheers!

46 minutes ago, sparky said:

You are not going to believe this chaps. 

Customer calls about a car today, basically wants it from the off but doesn't know if I will take his part ex. It only turns out to be a bloody smart car, more or less the same as one I've got tracked on auction view for Monday. He views, we shake hands, deal done, happy days. 

The Lord works in mysterious ways. And with that, I'm off for a pint. Cheers!

and buy a lottery ticket :D

2 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

and buy a lottery ticket :D

i would buy 2:lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimreidvehicle said:

Driveshafts, oil leaks and soft engines , great fun to drive though 

Disagree with the great fun to drive bit :D 

They are horrid to drive IMO, I took a merc in once for a rear sam unit to be fitted and they gave me a NEW 6 month old smart car, the service guy said dont use the auto setting use the trip tronic as the full auto had stopped working. this was MERCEDES and even they could not be arsed to fix it lol

Also the bonnets can be stolen quite easily, happened to mine. Wasn't impressed. 

I use to wing my smart up the motorway at 80/90 mph. 

5 hours ago, SC Derby said:

What a result !

Or not, considering the feedback we've all given about smart cars.... :P

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

Or not, considering the feedback we've all given about smart cars.... :P

Agree, a bit early to be handing out the cigars?:unsure:

I'm obviously a lone voice here. I've had a good few over the years & have never had a single problem. Obviously, avoid a knacker at the auction just like any car - if it's a Rolls Royce that's pissing oil & misfiring you know you've a problem!

Apparently the old 0.6 & 0.7 engine needs attention every now & again (I've seen them coughing & farting at the block with 40K on them but I knew one with 130K from new & the owner only ever had it serviced!) & the 1.0 seems fine judging by the few I've had.

I think they're great (sorry everyone), they have a small but loyal enthusiastic following although the buyers don't like loads of miles. The camper van crowd are a nuisance - greedy, want something for nowt & cos they usually haven't driven one before always think the car has problems as they do drive a little differently to the average car. As it's pre-sold you don't have that problem.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I'm obviously a lone voice here. I've had a good few over the years & have never had a single problem. Obviously, avoid a knacker at the auction just like any car - if it's a Rolls Royce that's pissing oil & misfiring you know you've a problem!

Apparently the old 0.6 & 0.7 engine needs attention every now & again (I've seen them coughing & farting at the block with 40K on them but I knew one with 130K from new & the owner only ever had it serviced!) & the 1.0 seems fine judging by the few I've had.

I think they're great (sorry everyone), they have a small but loyal enthusiastic following although the buyers don't like loads of miles. The camper van crowd are a nuisance - greedy, want something for nowt & cos they usually haven't driven one before always think the car has problems as they do drive a little differently to the average car. As it's pre-sold you don't have that problem.

My man! It's always the minority that talk sense on here :) Now has anyone got a light?:P

Just to reign the love in a little...

I also think they're horrible little boxes of toss, personally. Engines are gaff, build quality is French levels of nasty, they're not atall nice to work on and they're unforgivably ugly.

But by far the worst thing about them is the gearboxes. We're talking auto gear changes that are so sea-sickeningly bad they make the next worse auto spastronic car around (Anything by PSA or Renault) feel like a Mclaren.

Awful... awful, awful, awful, awful cars. I wouldn't piss on one if it was on fire.

I don't like them.

5 minutes ago, MattGM said:

Just to reign the love in a little...

I also think they're horrible little boxes of toss, personally. Engines are gaff, build quality is French levels of nasty, they're not atall nice to work on and they're unforgivably ugly.

But by far the worst thing about them is the gearboxes. We're talking auto gear changes that are so sea-sickeningly bad they make the next worse auto spastronic car around (Anything by PSA or Renault) feel like a Mclaren.

Awful... awful, awful, awful, awful cars. I wouldn't piss on one if it was on fire.

I don't like them.

Don't you deal in Land Rover's....?! ;):P

Just now, Ocsltd said:

:lol:

Okay, point taken!

In fairness, does anyone get in a Defender and expect it to be 'nice'?

Actually, scratch that. I've already had more than a few come and drive and remark how 'little room' there is, or throw it into a corner at 40mph and say 'rolls a little doesn't it' :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

:lol::lol:

The MHD engine snaps the alternator belt and cooks the engine in 60 seconds as the water pump is driven by the belt too. Customer bought one and it lasted 60 minutes before he called me to say it had gone pop! ended up replacing the engine and sold it again and never saw it back. Been there done that never again. If yours is MHD change the alternator belt! 

On 7/8/2017 at 4:01 PM, jimreidvehicle said:

Driveshafts, oil leaks and soft engines , great fun to drive though 

Jim, whats fun about the way they drive ? IMO they are horrid to drive, bouncy, bumpy, uncomfortable with a stupid lethargic gear change that makes you feel like its lost power and going to die on you. Everyone I have had has been a seriously bad driving experience, including the Brabus.

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Jim, whats fun about the way they drive ? IMO they are horrid to drive, bouncy, bumpy, uncomfortable with a stupid lethargic gear change that makes you feel like its lost power and going to die on you. Everyone I have had has been a seriously bad driving experience, including the Brabus.

Great fun to drive! not in full auto, use the gear lever to change!