Sign in to follow this  
MattGM

Holidays

Specifically you guys that work on your own, or with the missus. What do you guys do/how do you get on when/if you have a holiday?

She who must be obeyed is giving me earache over wanting to book 11 nights in Mexico next May. I'm not averse to the idea myself, but as I'm now self employed I'm a little unsure on the impact of closing doors for what will turn out to be the best part of 2 weeks. It's not the loss of income over those 2 weeks that is my real concern, I can budget for that, I'm just concerned that opening up after will take some time to get the wheels turning properly again. I COULD get a family member in to man the phones and take people around and out in cars, that's not an issue, but the person in mind is no salesman, and the majority of what I do, only I can do, so I'm not sure.

Be interested to hear other people's tales of how they've gone about it.

And no, letting her go off and jolly it up without me is not an option. If I've got to stay secluded here in this desolate empire, she can sip a pina colada in the garden and like it.

Dead easy. You either stay here working or you shut the doors & forget about it.

As for getting the wheels turning, to my mind in this game that means punters calling - you can't do much more than fire-up your adverts & man the phone. After the fortnight I've had I may as well of been away - my wheels are turning but the f***ing punters aren't interested. The only calls I'm getting is from a few other traders phoning for the craic & whinging about the emailing & texting scum - I've even heard from someone from 18 months ago he was that bored!

Anyway, that's my two penneth.

Edited by BHM

Shut the door and enjoy yourself. The tyre kicking time waster will still be there when you get home. And at least you will have a decent tan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

:unsure:

i remember something about donkeys and kiss me quick hats :lol:

Kissing donkeys while on holiday pretty much describes my ex wives:lol:

Take a leaf out of Mat C's book and get it booked, then book again, and again on your return :)

I never used to take them but now I agree with William, life is too short. Sadly we've booked nothing for this year apart from a little golf holiday for moi on religious grounds. Next year though we're off to Barbados, doors closed, phones off.

One man band 20 years last week ! To be fair last 3 years not had a holiday - various reasons BUT in my early days closed - divert phone to an agency and didn't really care if I lost business as that's how you have to be  or you burn yourself out. 

Now I have a friend , not experienced at all in car sales but helps me out , he can deal with customers he will sell under instructions , can't value cars but holds the fort , mans the phones , keep an eye on the place and takes messages , if he sells while I'm away its a bonus ! ( If genuine buyers they will leave a deposit and come back if explained to them !)

Matt - Pack your bags and enjoy some 'quality' time with the misses !

• Like 1

We opened our sales site over 4 years ago, had a weeks holiday booked so organised the valeter to do the paperwork on the off chance they had a sale ( which he hated nearly had him in tears just showing him the pen!!) , then got a mate to be his second in command.

To this day it was the best week we have ever had, sold something like 10 cars one after the other!!! poor lad, talk about out of the frying pan into the fire...needless to say he is s**t hot at all things sales from forecourt to paperwork to warranty to finance applications, as for the holiday thing, well we haven't gone away much since but only cause we don't want to risk missing the action !!!!

Five holidays a year for me, why else would i put all these hours in if not to enjoy them, I think if my business is that fragile that a week away will make it crash and burn then i would be looking at doing something else. 

• Like 1

Holiday? are we allowed swear words on this forum?

Why spend money when you can be making it?

On a serious note. Just do it. Would you really trust anyone else to look after the place? Make deals? Talk to customers?

Do you have any friends in the trade? Someone who could maybe look after the place while you are away?

Hi Matt..it only sounds like a small pitch,no employees,low overheads..good for you.Just lock up and go.The only problem I can see is,Mexico in May,you may need another holiday when you get back.Also.when we started,we used to go in December when trade is dead !

When i first started few years ago i had a small pitch i used to shut the doors and go away. The same shit will be here when your back so why worry about it. You need some time off do not marry the job.

kind regards

Dan 

• Like 1

You are just starting a business. Literally just getting off the ground. I don't think its a good time to do it. 

Its all about sacrifice and long game. 

I work 7 days a week still, I rarely take time off and don't have time for holidays. Im not missing out on them by not going I am building a strong future for myself. Mindset might be different than others.

Totally Agree with Rory each for there, there is no right or wrong what ever works for you.

Seen a lot of friends pass away the last few years with cancer ect no way am i going to work myself into the ground.

• Like 1

Exactly the same issue, in fact were off to Mexico next May as well. I normally only take a week off at a time, normally 1st week of the month so at least I have 3 weeks to salvage something when I get back. But our niece is getting married in Mexico so Ive been pushed into going. Its a long way to go for a week so 2 weeks it is. My plan is to leave half a dozen cars at a few mates pitches when I'm away so hopefully some profit will be generated. I agree with everyone else whats the point of grafting your buns off 7 days a week if you can't enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Do what you want to do mate. The way I see it:

1. Go on holiday, lose a few quid, spend a few quid, make some memories, fresh optimism when you get back

2. Don't go on holiday, make a few quid, spend a few quid, annoy the wife, daily grind.

If you can afford to lose a few sales then go, if you can't, don't. I may negotiate with her slightly on 11 nights though. I know Mexico is an 11 hour flight but maybe you could go somewhere closer for 7 nights?

With the sun the way it is right now I'd just get her a sombrero and a few tequilas B)

Is Mexico a haunt for dealers? I'm at the moon palace right now and have parked my backside on a sunlounger for the last 6 days, back Sunday. I'm not a one man band so can't help with that, but have also met an acquaintance I used to see down the block, and he's here with another 6 of his golf buddies who are also in the trade! 

8 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

You are just starting a business. Literally just getting off the ground. I don't think its a good time to do it. 

Its all about sacrifice and long game. 

I work 7 days a week still, I rarely take time off and don't have time for holidays. Im not missing out on them by not going I am building a strong future for myself. Mindset might be different than others.

thought you must be on holiday as you're not answering/taking texts, all one way this friendship, take take take (flounces out of the room)

On 06/07/2017 at 9:26 PM, MattGM said:

Just saw this and thought it might be up your street Matt... that's not you in the vid is it?;)

14 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

thought you must be on holiday as you're not answering/taking texts, all one way this friendship, take take take (flounces out of the room)

New number, women troubles :lol: I have text you now. You probably have about ten numbers for me by now 

even peoples need a service

a holiday is a people service

take them

i too have seen plenty of people die young