Sign in to follow this  
have a word with the wife

how did you get into this game ?

How did you get into this game ? just been pondering, must be some fascinating stories out there ? go with your dad to auction ? start in the spanner department ? i started with seeing a cortina for £30 in the local shop window, only down road so went and viewed it, no t or t, bought it, drove it back, cleaned it inside and out  [added value :lol:] and put it in the same shop window for £60 two days later SOLD B).

yes i am old :D

Funnily enough, my dad bought a Cortina once for £60. Worst bag of shit he'd ever had the stupidity to swap notes for. Moving on.....

I've worked as a mechanic for more time than I dare remember. I came into some money and decided I was sick of making some for other people.

So decided to lose some myself :huh:

Its either drug dealing, Prison or Car dealing.  I chose the just about most reputable of the three.

Seriously the first deal I ever did was a for a 1977 T reg green mini. I swapped it for a VHS player. Stuck a new battery on it, a set of Weller wheels and some cheapo bucket seat. Drove it like a tw@t for 3 moths then sold it for a half decent profit. That was circa 1991-2 I was 18 at the time, I got a taste for it, I used to then buy the wedge shape Rovers and 405's and sell them to local Taxi drivers. Good times

Who remembers the time when Autotrader man used to come to take the pictures. ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrC said:

Who remembthe time when Autotrader man used to come to take the pictures. ?

Selling cars in pre internet times meant you were part of a small community, some of us grew up together and we knew what we were 'holding', how much it stood us in and where it was from. Deals were much easier between trade when you knew the guys from school days. Sadly, these days you can't be that picky and have to dance with the devil

My first job was a Valeter at 16 at a local garage. When i passed my test at 17 that's 31 years ago I bought a Px (moggy 1000) for £150, cleaned it and sold it within a week for £800. Got the bug :)

Btw, I was on £1.25 an hour £50 a week !!

Got bored doing my day job & I'd always had an interest in cars (that's gone now) so occasionally skived-off work to go to the block.

The first year I made nowt because as I'd owned new, or nearly new, cars I was prepping everything to death due to my standards. After a year I realised I was giving to much away to the greedy general public (especially after seeing the shite they p/x'd) & decided to sell them in "used" condition. Basically giving the public what they pay for - nothing more, nothing less.

I enjoy the sourcing of cars & the dealing with nice people who appreciate you don't get gold for the price of silver, however it's the complete & utter pillocks that spoil it for me - I honestly feel like battering some of the cretins & the rise of other traders phoning trying to offload their p/x shitter. If I ever phone another trader I make it clear I'm in the trade, however that courtesy seems to be long gone.

I only started a couple of years ago. Had worked in an auction/sales related job for approx 10 years but lost interest, was in a position to move on, so quit. Had a few months off weighing up plans and then started the current business with my Brother in law (he worked for a small main dealer for 10 years).

Been a bit of a learning curve but I managed to take a lot of experience from my previous job and find a lot of common ground between the two. Aside from the screamers this is far less stressful overall, better paid and slightly more rewarding. Unlike the previous posters, I have no real interest in cars or the motor trade outside of work which I think helps me keep things focused. Frankly if I could get the same margins out of bananas i'd happily be dealing in those.

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

.......I have no real interest in cars or the motor trade outside of work which I think helps me keep things focused. Frankly if I could get the same margins out of bananas i'd happily be dealing in those.

Yes, I get that, cars are just a commodity to be bought and sold, like white goods, TVs or carpet. I suppose it helps if you sell cars that you actually enjoy owning and driving yourself, I don't, and I stock what I know I can sell.

Interesting fact, many years ago I pondered on the idea of selling boats:unsure:. There's a surprising boating community in North East London:D

29 minutes ago, metcars said:

I suppose it helps if you sell cars that you actually enjoy owning and driving yourself, I don't, and I stock what I know I can sell.

I don't even like driving much...:wacko:

Maybe I need to re-think this career path :P

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

I don't even like driving much...:wacko:

"freedom of the open road" "mobilising the masses" not any more!

On 2017-7-2 at 0:08 AM, MrC said:

Who remembers the time when Autotrader man used to come to take the pictures. ?

I remember driving my cars up to Autotrader in Watford, to get the photos taken and ad for the magazine, easy peasy:D

5 hours ago, NoMargin said:

I remember driving my cars up to Autotrader in Watford, to get the photos taken and ad for the magazine, easy peasy:D

Cars bought on Tuesday, in Autotrader on Thursday Sold by the weekend Guaranteed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrC said:

Cars bought on Tuesday, in Autotrader on Thursday Sold by the weekend Guaranteed

Exactly that, good old happy days, all good things come to an end:(

5 hours ago, NoMargin said:

Exactly that, good old happy days, all good things come to an end:(

no sat navs, they had to phone to find address, then you knew they were coming,

" get the hosepipe out " :lol:

9 hours ago, MrC said:

only allowed 21 words though so it was fsh pas e/w abs :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, have a word with the wife said:

no sat navs, they had to phone to find address, then you knew they were coming,

" get the hosepipe out " :lol:

only allowed 21 words though so it was fsh pas e/w abs :unsure:

Good times 

Too true!

Now it's "Why didn't you say in the advert there's a scuff on the bumper in the advert?"

ME "What? On an £800 Focus!?!!! With 3 photos of the front end!"

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tradex said:

Maybe I need Braille adverts?

Hmmmm

Might be on to something there....

Second thoughts, car-driving braille readers may be a bit too much of a 'niche' market.

i think braille adverts are brilliant because most of my clients are touched

• Like 1