Sign in to follow this  
Leanne Walton

The New Nissan Micra

I’m looking at buying a new car but I am being very fussy! It has to be an automatic (can’t drive manual), looking for 5 doors with decent room inside but I don’t want a big car. I want it to be quite techy, reliable and not expensive to run. I’m thinking of a petrol version of the new Nissan Micra. Am I missing a trick - are there other choices I should consider?

Ofcourse there are other options to consider. For the market of car you're after pretty much all the mainstream manufacturers produce something that'll be suitable for you. Think Corsa, Fiesta, Clio, 208, i20, Mini, Polo, Ibiza.... etc (there will be more)

If you're buying new, go out and try as many as you like the look of, and make your mind up based on the right combination of practicality, package, and price. They'll all be under new car warranty so there is no real right answer to your question, it's very subjective.

Personally speaking I don't like French cars, but that's me, some love them. Hyundais and Kias seem to offer the best 'bang for buck' and very good long warranty packages. But if you're a badge snob and want a VW or Audi parked outside expect to pay more for it, you won't get Waitrose produce for Aldi prices...

And yes, the Micra is a more than decent supermini.

1 hour ago, Leanne Walton said:

I’m looking at buying a  car but I am being very fussy! It has to be an automatic   5 doors with decent room inside but I don’t want a big car. I want it to be quite techy, reliable and not expensive to run. I’m thinking of a petrol version of the new Nissan Micra. Am I missing a trick or should i just go out to the dealers and sit in a few ?

probably 

£12,000 is alot to spend on a car. Why buy a new car? What drives you to need something 'new'? Save money on running costs but spend it on monthly payments?! Lose money through financing a new shiny piece of metal that after a few months will just be a car to you? Spend a big wedge of hard earned money on something that's worth no where near that in a year? Pretty poor investment. Miss doing things and going places because the thing takes you places costs you too much money so you can't go... but, at least you don't rack up the miles or get it dirty... and, you have a '17 plate' car. Oh, the happiness that will provide. Knowing that my piece of metal is newer than other people's piece of metal.

Honestly, just spend a couple of grand on something, drive it to destruction and spend your money on the things that matter.

Funnily enough I've never had a customer yet who wants a car to be unreliable.

On 28 June 2017 at 9:40 PM, MattGM said:

Ofcourse there are other options to consider. For the market of car you're after pretty much all the mainstream manufacturers produce something that'll be suitable for you. Think Corsa, Fiesta, Clio, 208, i20, Mini, Polo, Ibiza.... etc (there will be more)

If you're buying new, go out and try as many as you like the look of, and make your mind up based on the right combination of practicality, package, and price. They'll all be under new car warranty so there is no real right answer to your question, it's very subjective.

Personally speaking I don't like French cars, but that's me, some love them. Hyundais and Kias seem to offer the best 'bang for buck' and very good long warranty packages. But if you're a badge snob and want a VW or Audi parked outside expect to pay more for it, you won't get Waitrose produce for Aldi prices...

And yes, the Micra is a more than decent supermini.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Looks like I'll be taking a lot of test drives! :D 

On 29 June 2017 at 10:26 AM, CJ Underhill said:

personally, i'd go for a Mazda 2

Oh really. I haven't looked at a Mazda. What do you like about it? 

On 03/07/2017 at 3:44 PM, Leanne Walton said:

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Looks like I'll be taking a lot of test drives! :D 

Oh really. I haven't looked at a Mazda. What do you like about it? 

That i have one on my pitch ;)

• Like 1