Sign in to follow this  
MrC

If I'm liable for this I'm closing the doors

I very rarely if ever actually ask for a contribution. The amount of whinging that generates is just not for me.

2 ways you can go with this sort of thing and for us we have pretty much decided to operate at the higher end of the scale with aftercare and just cover the issues. I leave enough in the cars to do this and manage our own warranty fund to enable it elsewhere.

The amount I have spent on fixing sudden faults on well prepped cars is far far lower than the profit I make off the back of the goodwill whether that be in word of mouth feedback, reviews, facebook raving fans. No brainer for us. 

For an easier life my advice to you.

Swtich to self funded warranties using external admin company. If you actually want to discuss this you can ring me or message me and I will tell you how much money it saved my business and how much we have managed to re invest directly due to this one decision. Our rep from the warranty company is an absolute top guy and a very good motor trade contact to have also.  

I think it depends on the customer sometimes too. We all know generally who will play ball in a reasonable matter and who will moan/kick off etc.

I had a customer last week have an exhaust issue, flexi pipe gone I think, quoted £80 all in, we have put £50 she made up the rest and got it done locally. Absolutely delighted she was, but the next customer mind find it disgraceful they have to dip into their own pockets at all?

I don't think its black & white. Plus theres also the people that you give an inch to and they will take a mile...

manner*. Where has edit post gone :unsure:

Plenty of sensible/predictable advice on here MrC. But don't forget we've all been there, you're entitled to feel angry, nobody is a machine!

the issue is always on the cheaper stuff, stuff you've reduced normally

Texted me again this morning asking me what i was going to do. 

I sent a longish message to remind him this is a 10 year old vehicle and perfectly acceptable to expect a consumable item to need replacing. Its just bad timing that it has occured within a short time period. No one can forsee when these items fail. 

Repairs and maintenance are part and parcel of ownership. Its either that or the bus (lol and smiley face to lighten the mood)

He agreed and will sort it himself.

I think it was the lol and smiley face that swung it

I pride myself in offering excellent aftercare service to my customers, and normally bend over backwards to help them, I'm firm but fair. However some buyers, especially on old banger's think they are buying sponsored motoring buy going to a dealer. The CRA is very clear, yes it has to be "fit for purpose" but "wear and tear" is not covered. These buyers just quote it has to be "fit for purpose" and forget about the bit about expected "wear and tear". They are buying an old used machine and their expectations should be befitting. To expect a new car coverage warranty is just ridiculous. I say it again, you don't get gold for the price of silver.

Too add, I would of expected my customer to have rung me to discuss the problem like a human being, not gone elsewhere and sent a text making demands. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

1 hour ago, MrC said:

Texted me again this morning asking me what i was going to do. 

I sent a longish message to remind him this is a 10 year old vehicle and perfectly acceptable to expect a consumable item to need replacing. Its just bad timing that it has occured within a short time period. No one can forsee when these items fail. 

Repairs and maintenance are part and parcel of ownership. Its either that or the bus (lol and smiley face to lighten the mood)

He agreed and will sort it himself.

I think it was the lol and smiley face that swung it

Exactly :) 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

45 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

so mr c and his door is still open :)

Till the next one pisses me off!

On 24/06/2017 at 10:24 AM, tradex said:

...they don't even see the fact that I have sourced a car with a proper and present documented history (rather than the I can't it at the moment excuse), a cambelt in schedule (rather than the wing it brigade), a

You'd think that one would want best not cheapest, the car has to be there every day, come rain or shine to get you to work, be there to get your most precious objects about safely - namley your family - something to be relied on, but most given the choice of a set of bright alloys or a decent service history will opt for the wheels. 

I know money's tight but people really do struggle to see past the bottom price & once they've been price conditioned to that price you may as well piss into the wind.

Recently I finally sold a lovely 2006 Focus 2.0tdci Ghia p/x, 120K, black, full Ford history, full MOT, new tyres but until reduced to a paltry £1500 I couldn't get a sniff.

Another Focus, shite 1.6 tdci engine, bottle green, grubby interior, no history, rough as f***, half worn tyres, £1000. By now you can guess which one I'd rather have a field full of. (Answer, the rough pig that was CHEAP).

At the "Below £2500 market" its price led & stuff the condition, history etc. Rough but cheap for many punters.

• Like 1