Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol depollution system faulty

Any experts on these? the car has had a full new exhaust (not cat) and the oxygen sensors look new, it's putting on the depollution light on start up and no more, cars runs fine, the machine says replace catalytic convertor, is this the general cause or a red herring, im just curious why the first place didnt change the cat?

thanks

Andy

have you got 4 of these with the same fault:lol:

get it on a 4 gas and see what the emissions are like, if it wont go lower than 0.4 and its a pewgot its usually fair to say cat gone

im assuming fault code machine is half reasonable so you can see the lamdy loos switching

46 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

whats the cts?

coolant temp sensor, tells the ecu the temp of engine, if its sending a signal of lower than actual engine temp, engine will richen and give high emmisions, with proper fault reader you can actually view the figures with live data, not saying it is this, but a possibility and common failing on many cars.

yes but the fault is there straight away from cold before it can run up to temp

check the fuse box and the 3 block connectors located by it for any sign of corrosion, common fault on these the coolant temp sensor leaks water down the loom to the fuse box and knackers it. Off the top of my head a new fuse box is about £130 from Peugeot and replace the coolant temp sensor. I've done loads. Hope this helps

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

yes but the fault is there straight away from cold before it can run up to temp

ok, we need more information, fault codes, emmision print out, etc,  this "first place" ? were they trying to cure the fault or just changing the exhaust ? do you have a fault code ? peugeots do seem to destroy there cats when they get older, but if theres a underlying fault it will burn out a new one, and spurious cats [which yes we all fit ] tend to only last till next mot anyway, if the plugs on the lamba sensors are the same, swap the lamdas over [ possible on some cars] so the pre lamba is the post lamba because the post lamda reads the cat condition 

http://IMG_8688_zpsxl7rfcu1.jpg

morning all, i have the mot printout, what bits do you need please? car smeills like its running rich

is it burning a slight haze of oil on revs hold?

those 4 gas dont look good

lambda working but co out and hydrocarbons are right on the limit too

didnt spot any oil buring, im just wondering is it worth spending anything on the car

I tend to avoid Peugeots like the plague lately, never seem to have much luck with them although they do seem to attract buyers. 

I used to like the old diesel 306s...bulletproof them things.

46 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I don't buy french cars, cheap, nasty, poorly made.

Only take the bloody things p/x. Almost as bad as VAGs.

Change the cat, from those figures it clearly not working correctly the CO is to high and as someone else suggested the lambda are not switching (loop) correctly either. 

I would replace the cat, both lambda sensors, plugs and the temp sensor. A oil change will help also.  

so anyhoo, got the car running after fitting the cat and no issues, it has been tested and the bloody light had came back on, the computer is pointing to the O2 sensor but they both look new, any cheap ideas before i give it to the auction, its not linked to low fuel is it?

well it passed the emissions side of the mot although i wasnt there when testing

The emissions don't have to be out for an EML light relating to a faulty or out of value reading from an O2 sensor.

I'd check to see if the sensors are branded, or if they're white box shite from China via Euro car parts.

We've seen plenty of vehicles in with faulty lambda sensors (and other sensorts for that matter, MAP sensors being a popular one on the pugs) with seemingly 'new' sensors on them, but they're cheap and nasty and work for about a week.

Edited by MattGM
  • Like 1

it gets to the point where you wonder when to call it a day on some cars

have you checked for any signs of corrosion in the fuse box, it's a common fault on these?