mr_mg

Spares or repair added to invoice

Hope I'm ok to post here as I've purchased a car rather than selling myself.

I looked at an advert on Autotrader and all seemed good, listed that the car was currently MOT'd with a good length on expiry. Went along, did a test drive and for the age of the car it seemed fine to me so talked price down slightly and made the purchase.

Now what I stupidly missed is that the seller put 'For spares or repair' on the receipt. I should have spotted this and not signed it, although not sure I remember it being there when signing. I just want to try and find out if I have any come back as the advert does not list it as being spares and repair and they never made me aware of this other than writing it on the receipt.

The advert listing had it listed as with MOT and warranty but it turns out it failed an MOT earlier this month and obviously with the commend on the receipt no warranty is given.

I'm guessing I'm going to be stuck with it and either sell it on again or pay to repair it but would love any advice.

My advice would be read something properly before signing.....

Bit confused you said at first it was advertised with an MOT with a long expiry, and then you say it was MOT 1 month ago and failed?

The seller does not not have to give any warranty but at the same time writing "spares or repair" on the receipt does not mean the car cannot be fit for purpose or unsafe. Especially if it was advertised as long MOT etc.

Contact the dealer you bought it from and ask them to explain why it has "spares or repair" on the receipt and see what they say.

He's clearly pulled a fast one. Doubt it, but is the advert still up? Do you have a copy of it?

Did you buy it from a reputable place or the side of the road?

Yeah, so the advert said it had an MOT to 2018, after purchasing I looked it up (didn't know you could do this before hand, another life lesson learnt) and it turns out it failed earlier this month. Unsure why the dealer claimed it one for some months.

1 minute ago, Mojo121 said:

He's clearly pulled a fast one. Doubt it, but is the advert still up? Do you have a copy of it?

Did you buy it from a reputable place or the side of the road?

I think I have a copy of the advert but it's at home. Need to have a look. It seems to have gone from the Autotrader website.

They have actual premises and I paid by Credit Card which could also give me some come back I'd guess?

Edited by mr_mg
Submitted too early.

What's the age, mileage and price of the car?

They (the seller) cannot deny you your statutory rights as a consumer so you should have a case.

Maybe one for trading standards rather than this kind of forum as (i am sure) most of us dont pull those kind of stunts so i have no idea where you stand. 

53 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Maybe one for trading standards rather than this kind of forum as (i am sure) most of us dont pull those kind of stunts so i have no idea where you stand. 

Excellent post

this isnt mse

Would it be wrong of me to suggest you may be a greedy bastard who went for the cheapest you could find?

Sorry, but you get what you pay for in this life.

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

so it wasnt there when you signed? how did it appear afterwards??

Exactly. A typical greedy punter whinging cos he thought he was getting something for nowt. TBH I'm surprised people have wasted their sympathy on him.

you signed for a car as spares/repair, why on earth would anyone do that

he hasn't added it afterwards, you've bought a pup

The advert is clearly very misleading. The car has to be as described and fit for the purpose intended.

It is illegal to sell an unroadworthy vehicle to the public without very clearly explaining in the advert and putting in writing on the invoice that the car is "unroadworthy" & "should not be driven on the road" and must be "transported away".  

The seller has broken the law, he is asking to be prosecuted by trading standards who would take a very dim view.

Take the car back and demand a full refund. Sellers like this give the trade a bad name and should be stopped. 

Mr_mg name and shame him

• Like 1

Its amazing really how many traders still think its ok to do this type of thing. Scroll through ads on ebay and you will see large dealerships selling p/xs as spares or repair or trade sales etc.

It really is as simple as write spares or repair on the invoice and its totally out of your hands !

Why are people wasting time on this pillock?

BHM, your attitude stinks, it is everything the real trade want to be extinguished from the public perception. Do you really think it is acceptable to mislead, lie, break the law and screw an innocent member of the public. If YOU think that is an acceptable way to treat a customer, let alone another human being you are wholeheartedly wrong. People who do that are not only criminal they are scummy low life's. End of

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Too add, this is a public forum for anyone to view. If you really are a car dealer YOU are exactly what shames the industry.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Definitely think your being way to harsh there BHM, yes we as dealers have to deal with very difficult, uneducated, lying people many a time. But on this occasion looks like the dealer may be pulling a fast one with a misleading advert. Saying that, some people just don't read adverts properly. 

Eg I advertise a car clearly stating the car has sat nav complete with photo, and the amount of owners the car has. I still get a text 'alrite mate has the car got nav n how many owners' sigh

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It is illegal to sell an unroadworthy vehicle to the public without very clearly explaining in the advert and putting in writing on the invoice that the car is "unroadworthy" & "should not be driven on the road" and must be "transported away".  

This, save yourself the aggro! 

I see your point but my approach is different - I don't feel the need to deal with difficult people and/or fibbers. I sack them off firmly (tbh I've normally weeded out the undesirables on the phone) & occasionally give them a few home truths regarding their aspirations with regards to their budget.

My personal feeling is that retailers who entertain the idiots etc. make it worse for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Too add, this is a public forum for anyone to view. If you really are a car dealer YOU are exactly what shames the industry.

In my opinion the industry would benefit from more straight talk. Perhaps you entertain greedy idiots to make a sale, I'd rather not. Different strokes, I guess.

6 hours ago, BHM said:

I see your point but my approach is different - I don't feel the need to deal with difficult people and/or fibbers. I sack them off firmly (tbh I've normally weeded out the undesirables on the phone) & occasionally give them a few home truths regarding their aspirations with regards to their budget.

My personal feeling is that retailers who entertain the idiots etc. make it worse for the rest of us.

In my opinion the industry would benefit from more straight talk. Perhaps you entertain greedy idiots to make a sale, I'd rather not. Different strokes, I guess.

I absolutely agree with "Straight Talk" and getting the foundations right when Mr Customer is in cloud cuckoo land. They need to be told upfront, explained in writing and signed for (legally)

I don't agree with sellers breaking the law and giving the trade a very bad name, and I equally don't agree with anyone who thinks that is an acceptable way to conduct business. 

I think you are reading far too much into this.

You obviously haggled the life out of the guy to get yourself a "bargain" (no such thing by the way). He had little or no profit on it and just in case you decided to contact him with warranty issues down the line, he wrote 'spares or repair' into the invoice so you havn't a leg to stand on if you do.

The car will more than likely run forever, however, if something does go wrong down the line, best of luck trying to get anything from him.

Thats how I see it