Sign in to follow this  
Mojo121

Things must be bad...

2 hours ago, Trident said:

I think you got away lightly, we had an old guy who bought a vehicle off us, became a regular pop in for a chat kind of guy...over time he divulged that he spend his last penny buying the vehicle, which were his savings for his funeral expenses, his missus wasn't too chuffed with him, so what he is going to do is put it in the will that we buy it back to cover his funeral expenses... thoughts?

This has given me an idea for pensioner type stuff like Focus/Astra/ Kia estates.                                                                                What about - Price includes guaranteed full price buy back in the event of the customers death by natural causes within 2 years of purchase..........Any comments. !

1 minute ago, trade vet said:

This has given me an idea for pensioner type stuff like Focus/Astra/ Kia estates.                                                                                What about - Price includes guaranteed full price buy back in the event of the customers death by natural causes within 2 years of purchase..........Any comments. !

I'm surprised that hasn't been written into the CRA15 to be fair...... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

I'm surprised that hasn't been written into the CRA15 to be fair...... :rolleyes:

it is

have you not read it ?

its section 8 paragraph 3 subsection 2a

you also have to supply free watneys red barrel and cream cakes for the wake

I took pity and replied that finance is never available at that sort of level and, although none of my business, I'd avoid short term low value loans and other ways to raise finance. I suggested that maybe he could just save up a little and come back to me. He came back to me today to say he's got the balance... let's see if he shows on Monday and whether I'll regret my pity!

16 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I took pity and replied that finance is never available at that sort of level and, although none of my business, I'd avoid short term low value loans and other ways to raise finance. I suggested that maybe he could just save up a little and come back to me. He came back to me today to say he's got the balance... let's see if he shows on Monday and whether I'll regret my pity!

You may or may not be surprised how basic finance and the cost of borrowing money is not explained to some people. it's not that they don't know how expensive it can be to borrow money, but they don't weigh up the options? At the bottom end of the market its easy to think they're all scumbags, but the real scumbags gave us 'pay day' loans?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, metcars said:

You may or may not be surprised how basic finance and the cost of borrowing money is not explained to some people. it's not that they don't know how expensive it can be to borrow money, but they don't weigh up the options? At the bottom end of the market its easy to think they're all scumbags, but the real scumbags gave us 'pay day' loans?

Agree completely. It should be taught in schools. SImple things like a 5% mortgage will cost you twice the borrowed amount by the end of the 25 years.

Anyway, we didn't have any money growing up but I got lucky a couple of times and I made some now. I'm by no means well off, but I don't worry about my bills. I just see people that don't have as much as having not had those opportunities or luck. Maybe they made bad decisions. It's just sad how people get themselves in even deeper messes then. That's the depressing part.

It's because many act on impulse, basic arithmetic escapes a good percentage of the population and far too many are interested in appearances - making out they're financially better off than they are.

Thats why there's plenty of mid & older folk who own nothing, their car's on tick, even the sofa they sit on they're paying off over 5 years. I'm not judging, however most of us are in whatever situation we're in because of the choices (good & bad) we've made throughout life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

Agree completely. It should be taught in schools. SImple things like a 5% mortgage will cost you twice the borrowed amount by the end of the 25 years.

Anyway, we didn't have any money growing up but I got lucky a couple of times and I made some now. I'm by no means well off, but I don't worry about my bills. I just see people that don't have as much as having not had those opportunities or luck. Maybe they made bad decisions. It's just sad how people get themselves in even deeper messes then. That's the depressing part.

... and these are not all 'poor' people, but people with enough money to pay their bills and mortgage comfortably but focus on the short term with superficial things like tech crap/expensive TVs/gym membership/BMW M to impress the neighbours?

I've got one mate who's a bricklayer. He works like a dog 7days a week. His wife works as a teaching assistant and doesn't even earn the money to cover the cost of getting a bus to work but she insists on driving a new BMW 1series, two kids 18/16 with bedrooms full of tech crap, space age kitchen, expensive foreign holidays, 6 pedigree dogs that are always at the vets, and they've just remortgaged the house.

Edited by metcars
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, metcars said:

... and these are not all 'poor' people, but people with enough money to pay their bills and mortgage comfortably but focus on the short term with superficial things like tech crap/expensive TVs/gym membership/BMW M to impress the neighbours?

I've got one mate who's a bricklayer. He works like a dog 7days a week. His wife works as a teaching assistant and doesn't even earn the money to cover the cost of getting a bus to work but she insists on driving a new BMW 1series, two kids 18/16 with bedrooms full of tech crap, space age kitchen, expensive foreign holidays, 6 pedigree dogs that are always at the vets, and they've just remortgaged the house.

I thought everyone lived like that in essex !

Range rover and a chihuahua 

2 hours ago, metcars said:

I often wonder what happens if the bank says no to a remortgage - I guess that's when you make an appearance on "Can't pay, we'll take it away"

On a rare sunny evening a fortnight ago I was sat in a pub beer garden. A young couple + baby arrived in a newish C-class Merc, big alloys, AMG bodykit (on a friggin c220 diesel), the stench of finance wafted across the car park.

After their first drink they fancied a second drink. Listening to their conversation, it seemed they couldn't scrape together enough for another round & she thought her cards (I assume of the credit variety) were on stop. Off they trotted into their nice (to some eyes) prestige (ahem!) German car cos the poor thick sods could afford 2 rounds of drinks.

I can understand people being on the bones of their arses (I remember 25 years ago breaking down wooden fencing one winter to keep the fire going cos I was skint - my apologies to Teesdale District Council) but being on the bones of your arse whilst running around in a German taxi waving around the latest smartphone beggars belief.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Branning said:

I thought everyone lived like that in essex !

Range rover and a chihuahua 

Your thinking of Cheshire!:D

1 minute ago, metcars said:

Yeah, everyone in Essex has a Range Rover, a chihuahua and a vajazzle ;)

1 minute ago, Ocsltd said:

Yeah, everyone in Essex has a Range Rover, a chihuahua and a vajazzle ;)

That's all a bit 'last year', pikeys drive RR sports in Essex now:D

1 minute ago, metcars said:

That's all a bit 'last year', pikeys drive RR sports in Essex now:D

:lol:

Its all fur coat and no knickers.

21 hours ago, metcars said:

Oi! :ph34r:

Some of us have taste you know! :P

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Now if you are talking about WAGs and white RR sports we can tap that rich vein that is Cheshire!:D

14 hours ago, metcars said:

Now if you are talking about WAGs and white RR sports we can tap that rich vein that is Cheshire!:D

Cheshire has its nice places and its rough parts, I live in the nice part but my business is in winsford which the number 1 shop is Bright house.

This is why we set up the sub prime pitch here, ideal market to tap into. We get lots of the above persons living beyond their means. They come in thinking they are getting  approved and going home in a Audi A4 S-line but really they leave in a 207 with a complimentary First Response air freshener,

always a deal breaker that one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

And some of us drive Range Rover sports :unsure::unsure::D

** Cheshire based**

And just to bring this up to date, the ladies that lunch in Chigwell drive open top evoques:D

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, metcars said:

You leave my 'vein' out of this! :lol:

Maserati Gran Turismo's and Alfa Giulia Quodrifoglio's are the new steeds in this neck of the woods...

On 2017-6-15 at 2:51 PM, Mojo121 said:

Update: yeah, I regret ever replying.

He turns up, Thai bride in tow and proceeds to nit pick at every aspect of the car. Telling me these cars are known for central locking problems before locking, unlocking, opening every door and re-locking the car no less than 15 times before the passenger door didn't open. I climbed in, opened it from inside and it was fine again, before he proceeded to test his theory again. Sure enough 15-20 attempts later it failed again. "what if there's a fire???" Nigel asks concerned  "you're already a complete melt" I thought before telling him that central locking was much like a fire and if you stick your hand near a fire enough times the chances are you'll get burned.

His wife was more interested in me I think. Shame I didn't have 5 dorrar on hand.

What else? Erm... his part-ex was a Cat-C, he turned up two hours late because of a puncture stranded him (not his fault) and a bit of stray Nigel sweat landed on my arm at one point. Lovely.

4 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Update: yeah, I regret ever replying.

He turns up, Thai bride in tow and proceeds to nit pick at every aspect of the car. Telling me these cars are known for central locking problems before locking, unlocking, opening every door and re-locking the car no less than 15 times before the passenger door didn't open. I climbed in, opened it from inside and it was fine again, before he proceeded to test his theory again. Sure enough 15-20 attempts later it failed again. "what if there's a fire???" Nigel asks concerned  "you're already a complete melt" I thought before telling him that central locking was much like a fire and if you stick your hand near a fire enough times the chances are you'll get burned.

His wife was more interested in me I think. Shame I didn't have 5 dorrar on hand.

What else? Erm... his part-ex was a Cat-C, he turned up two hours late because of a puncture stranded him (not his fault) and a bit of stray Nigel sweat landed on my arm at one point. Lovely.

I'm sorry, but that did make me laugh.... :lol:

".....a bit of stray Nigel sweat landed on my arm...." :lol::lol: 

Hahaha, I once had a punter turn up 2 hours late when I used to entertain them on a Sunday - he had about a 90 minute drive which took 210 minutes. 

He said they'd stopped at a pub because they'd wanted Sunday lunch. 

I answered "So did me & my Mrs."

His fur-coated Mrs got out of their £200 p/x & said she wasn't sure if she liked the colour.

I told them to think about it on their way home because I couldn't be bothered wasting any more of my time. 

They looked aghast as I locked the car & walked back inside.

All in all, 45 seconds.

Edited by BHM
  • Like 1