Sign in to follow this  
Trident

Vehicle changes on V5c, log book in trade - HELP!!

We have taken in a part exchange van that has 3 extra seats fitted aftermarket in the back, the log book only states 3 seats, so we want to get the v5c ammended to show 6 seats, but as the vehicle is now in trade, do we have to put it in our name to get it ammended? or, can we send the ammendement off when we send off the log book in the new keepers name!? the worry doing that is the insurance will be for a 3 seater not a 6 seater... any advice? TIA...

What kind of van is it ? Personally i would just remove the rear seats before selling or just leave them in but make the buyer aware that they have been fitted aftermarket. As far as i know rear seats dont come into MOT requirements in a van, i may be wrong but not sure about insurance. I think i remember hearing that there has to be a window for safety? again i may be wrong.

My advice would be remove them to be safe..

i was just going to say what max has said

this van would need an sva i believe if extra seats fitted,dvla will not just amend the log book

i too would keep it simple and sell as an extra 3 seater

Thanks... S and B what is an sva, never heard of that!! when i look at the log book section 7 to amend it doesn't ask for evidence like some of the other amendments!

2 hours ago, s and b said:

i was just going to say what max has said

this van would need an sva i believe if extra seats fitted,dvla will not just amend the log book

i too would keep it simple and sell as an extra 3 seater

SVA is like an mot, mostly used for kit cars to become road legal or imports that kind of thing, a lot of insurance companies are clamping down hard on the campa conversion industry, i would follow the top advise from above remove them and note it on the invoice you gave them the seats free of charge to do with what ever they liked. 

5 hours ago, Trident said:

Thanks... S and B what is an sva, never heard of that!! when i look at the log book section 7 to amend it doesn't ask for evidence like some of the other amendments!

SVA is now IVA. Despite the name change it is still a test carried out by the most jobsworth, anally retentive men available at the DVLA. The sole purpose is to try to wind you up enough that you'll be forced into violence against said human being. They're fun, have a try :rolleyes:

Sell as a 3. Too much liability especially if it's involved in a accident & the seat and or belt anchorage(s) fail.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Rear seats are in MOT. I had a fail on a Focus as one side wasn't locking correctly...unless that was just my MOT station?

If i remember correctly aftermarket seats fitted in the rear of a panel van do not get checked on an MOT.

Unless things have changed?

2 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

If i remember correctly aftermarket seats fitted in the rear of a panel van do not get checked on an MOT.

I wonder if the van has ever been MOT'd with the extra seats in the back? Or, do they always disappear at MOT time like a lot of other vans?;)

11 hours ago, Max Branning said:

Seats fitted to the rear of the drivers compartment in a goods vehicle are not required to be fitted with seat belts unless the seat is the specified front passenger seat [ ie] no front passenger seat like a london taxi? 

but sell it as a 3 seater anyway :ph34r:

put the seats on ebay, might sell before the van :D