Sign in to follow this  
SAPFO

'Amateur' Valuation Options

47 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

and buy bangers with a long test

Spot on! Getting bangers MOT'd is a nightmare these days, once the tester knows you're trade he'll slaughter you with "advisories" on everything.

What you should do is start a blog, privately, with all your issues and problems you face and will carry on facing! The good and the bad. As time goes by you'll have some really happy, angry, sad and ecstatic moments, all that make the trade what it is today. 

What you'll quickly learn though, is that in 5 years time when there's another newbie asking the same questions as you're asking now, you'll be more inclined to say "see for yourself" then just give your family jewels away. After all, that's why they're called "trade" secrets right? 

Honestly, best way to learn is to do. You'll never fail, you'll just find a thousand ways that don't work, but the learning curve never stops. 

Rish

It seems that every man and his one-eyed dog think they can make a fortune selling cars. It's easy! Let me just tell you, it's f*cking not!

Example; A mate text me today asking if I deal in bikes as well as cars, no is the answer to that. Apparently he's found a new bike but the dealer want to give him £800-1000 less than what his is worth in p/x. "All they need to do is wash it and put it on the forecourt for a grand more than they're giving him" he tells me :rolleyes:

The general public haven't got a clue what it costs to run a business, especially one in this trade. They see an easy couple of grand in every car clear profit without any hassle or stress, all year round, no problem. If i had my time again I wouldn't be getting in to this game, that isn't to put you off because we're worried about you being our competition, that's doing you a bloody big favour.

Do what you like, but don't think it's all roses fella

• Like 2

I know it ain't all rosy. And I wouldn't be in it to make a fortune. Just a steady living being my own boss, or to top up the pension pot moving a couple per month, maybe higher vaue. 

Where would you say the cut off in price is for a home trader?

22 minutes ago, SAPFO said:

I know it ain't all rosy. And I wouldn't be in it to make a fortune. Just a steady living being my own boss, or to top up the pension pot moving a couple per month, maybe higher vaue. 

Out of curiousity, where are you based? 

Brum. There is s stretch of the A38 in North Brum that is full of main dealers, along with sub maybe 5 3/4k plots. I noticed most of them closed at the same time a few years back, which at the time was weird, but now I believe that must have been the effect of the CRA2015 right? Some of these plots are now filling up again, but most being Asian now. One I saw and thought I'd love that plot has now been taken over by a Romanian carwash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAPFO said:

One I saw and thought I'd love that plot has now been taken over by a Romanian carwash.

I wonder if they provide pensions for their employees?:ph34r:

2 hours ago, SAPFO said:

Brum. There is s stretch of the A38 in North Brum that is full of main dealers, along with sub maybe 5 3/4k plots. I noticed most of them closed at the same time a few years back, which at the time was weird, but now I believe that must have been the effect of the CRA2015 right? Some of these plots are now filling up again, but most being Asian now. One I saw and thought I'd love that plot has now been taken over by a Romanian carwash.

Lot of Asian boys up in Birmingham that are involved with the industry in some shape. Don't really sit well with me as they pop up every few years under a different Ltd company name. 

As someone of Indian origin I really don't see the kudos about this industry, what turned me was the sheepskin coats and the fat white marker pens.... 

yup most of them seem to be on "can't pay we'll take it away", the kudos is the limited company aspect and popping said ltd company as soon as it goes tits up

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

yup most of them seem to be on "can't pay we'll take it away", the kudos is the limited company aspect and popping said ltd company as soon as it goes tits up

Funny you mentioned that as I saw an episode recently of a firm in Birmingham that looked to be selling premium kit, nothing less than about £25k and had a writ of £6k being enforced on them. Instead of acting like businessmen, they called their girlfriends like a bunch of petulant kids until the police were called and, after the threat of arrest, paid. Really grinds my teeth as they honestly don't give a monkeys

20 hours ago, LISL said:

Lot of Asian boys up in Birmingham that are involved with the industry in some shape. Don't really sit well with me as they pop up every few years under a different Ltd company name. 

As someone of Indian origin I really don't see the kudos about this industry, what turned me was the sheepskin coats and the fat white marker pens.... 

Asians tend to follow the money, so there must be some to be made. And the sheepkskin has now been replaced by the bubble coat :D

On 6/12/2017 at 10:26 PM, SAPFO said:

Ask Tom Hartley

• Like 1