Rory RSC

Autotrader Dealer United

No I won't slate you, I agree with a few of your points particularly for the dealers who it is not working for that just moan moan moan. Adapt and survive is the key in any business and that goes for dealers aswell as AT.

AT are in business to make money I don't begrudge that.

I sell most of my cars from AT so actually my cost per car sold attributable to AT is actually a lot lower than most as we turn a lot of stock thanks largely to AT.

Sponsored adverts is not fair. Its not level, It does not benefit us dealers. It does not benefit customers. It is just simply sneaky, underhand and out of order. There is nothing more to it than that.

Do customers know what they are seeing? Do customers understand what they are seeing? No. Not at all. 

Deja Vu

We have all been here before and all moan about it but the only thing I can add to this is the fact that you have to have the B***'s to DO IT! Cancel the account with AT.

We haven't advertised with AutoTrader for over 4 years now and I'm fed up stating to dealers that there are so many other ways to advertise cars without having to use them. But it's your business and only you will know what will work and what will not. But here's the facts............................

I hear so many dealers complain about the price increase yet do nothing about it. Your fate is in your own hands. If you don't do something about it now , you will not be in business in 5 years time. Start taking back control and building your own brand locally, Yes it's hard work marketing your company on Google and Facebook etc but the rewards are massive and the cost is small.

So take from someone who is over the other side of the wall and yes not only is the grass greener but it smells lovely and tastes so so sweet! If you need a hand getting over that wall feel free to give me a call 07787587422, it's not as high as you think!

Edited by jimreidvehicle

We have a database of 2300 independent dealerships and will happily post an "exodus" e mail out to all of them

This has gone to far and must stop now   I am on 07748 903961 please call me

autotradeassociates.co.uk     why cant we have our own website for reputable dealers only?  have a look and see what we have achieved already.

• Like 1

As mentioned previously, I am sure most dealers that do not advertise on Autotrader will agree that customers still say that they seen it advertised on Autotrader even though it isn't on autotrader. Like Jim and others who have left AT I still move the same number of cars as when I had a package with AT, it is hard to break away but market yourself correctly, do the job right and work at it and you do not need to work for AT, your business can once again be your own and you don't have to dread the next big idea from your advertising partner.... and you can be tens of thousands of pounds a year better off.

Good afternoon All

I thought I would share with you all an e mail sent to Autotrader regarding sponsored adverts and pricing. I am assured that it has been forwarded to head office and am awaiting a response.

Dear Auto Trader

I have been giving this some thought and as you have asked for my feedback, I would appreciate the following to be forwarded to the “Ivory Tower. “

Having given deep thought into the recent behaviour of Auto Trader I feel it is best not to mention the price increase and new "packages" as they are effectively old news. However, something new has just hit me - Sponsored Adverts, We have been told for years that more searches are going to mobile circa 70% and have paid more money for priority listings to ensure we are at the top of the search. After being told this, and it being backed up with facts, we, as independent dealerships, have accepted Auto Trader’s word.
But now Auto Trader have changed their mind and decided that everybody searches on a desktop device. So I now ask myself why would they do such a thing and is there a method to their madness? So here is the conclusion: The larger supermarkets and franchise groups all have desktops and use them frequently... So how do Auto Trader make money out of this? They create "sponsored adverts" for desktops, only enticing the larger groups and supermarkets to give them lots of money for the privilege, but what they don't seem to understand is that by doing this their core business (all the small fish that make up most of the pond) have all suffered as a result.

So what is the solution and how do we, as independents get to the top of the search like the big boys? Umm, let me think...... I have it……. MORE MONEY. So if I give you another £1,631 per month for a 40 car package, up from £2,792 per month to £4,423, you will do it for me. You have really shocked me this time Auto Trader. You are forcing the independents to seek alternatives. Your greed will be your undoing I can assure you. Please explain to me how you justify the price of this? I thought it would be the usual £100 here or there, but I was wrong. You want thousands! Please explain - I am confused. You told me that people don't really look on desktops anymore. In fact, you told me that last month! Do you think that by forcing smaller independent dealerships to the bottom of the search you can force them into alternatives such as downsizing their packages or leaving Auto Trader altogether? This is not going to help you now, or in the long run. Sorry Auto Trader, this one is going to cost you a lot of money and my friendly advice is that you put this one into reverse as quickly as you can.

Many thanks for the quote, but we won't be taking you up on this one. The mission to leave you is going well, but as with all divorces it will take time. I look forward to Auto Traders response.

Regards

Chris Roach

Owner of Chequers Cars Lightwater & Auto Trade Associates where reputable independent dealerships come together as one.

Chris , Just had same conversation with AT , regarding sponsored / searches / mobile / desk top ..... ! It's now costing business for independents. I did a quick example on one of my cars £15500  Merc - On desk top simple search Mercedes / C Class / £15000 - £16000 /  where was my car ..without changing any other perimeters. All sponsored cars come up ..scroll, scroll scroll ....................... still scrolling .... well keep going ....... not found it yet we've got to £16000 now all sponsored then it drops to natural £15000  at page 18 - YES 18 , I'm on 19 

38% search on desktop I was told  IF That's the case why have ALL the big boys paid ... 

Mobile I've given up scrolling trying to find my car !

I believe many will pay 50/60% extra thinking that's the way forward , but I also feel many more will be saying enough is enough can't take no more !!! ( Is there a song with those lyrics :) ! ) 

If everyone was forced into paying  to be sponsored then the search results would be the same as it was in March,,,, except Autotrader would be millions better off,,,

What happens when everyone has paid for a sponsored advert?.. Oh yeah AT is a gazilion times richer

Edited by MrC

4 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

If everyone was forced into paying  to be sponsored then the search results would be the same as it was in March,,,, except Autotrader would be millions better off,,,

That's right,it's a bit like speedy boarding at EasyJet,you pay extra and then find you are at the end of a long queue of speedy boarders.The EasyJet boss's last job was running AT,maybe she still acts as a consultant for them !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, umesh said:

Chris , Just had same conversation with AT , regarding sponsored / searches / mobile / desk top ..... ! It's now costing business for independents. I did a quick example on one of my cars £15500  Merc - On desk top simple search Mercedes / C Class / £15000 - £16000 /  where was my car ..without changing any other perimeters. All sponsored cars come up ..scroll, scroll scroll ....................... still scrolling .... well keep going ....... not found it yet we've got to £16000 now all sponsored then it drops to natural £15000  at page 18 - YES 18 , I'm on 19 

38% search on desktop I was told  IF That's the case why have ALL the big boys paid ... 

Mobile I've given up scrolling trying to find my car !

I believe many will pay 50/60% extra thinking that's the way forward , but I also feel many more will be saying enough is enough can't take no more !!! ( Is there a song with those lyrics :) ! ) 

Song-Rock Classic-We"er not gonna take it- Twisted Sister  / also Bayern Munich fan anthem - what about that one Umesh

Umesh 

I feel that they have intentionally priced this so that 99% of people won't take it up.  It's all part of their plan to squeeze us independents until we pop, in turn it keeps the big boys happy. It's supermarkets vs corner shops all over again. I am afraid we keep going around the houses and there is only one thing we can do, a mass walk out with media present outside head office all handing notice, this will crash the stock price and only then will they listen. I have said this for years and am building the army to do this. We just need more soldiers I believe the minimum we need is 500 dealerships.  

Chris 

its strange the consumer still can't search and miss out the cars that are on the list?? any ideas why

Having worked for Manufacturer/Main agents for many years, until last year, and now being a small independent, I can tell you that the big boys do not pay anywhere near as much as we do per unit.  Especially the bigger groups, Autotrader offer a two tier pricing structure that they don't tell you about. When I worked for a German Manufacturer we were offered a very cheap introductory deal, so cheap that it was a no brainer, they kept the same deal when we threatened to cancel after the introductory deal ended. So now as a small independent I find their current attitude of "who has the most money wins" disgusting. Hopefully over time lots of smaller dealers will leave to join other platforms and Autotrader will be left with only the big boys, which hopefully will make their stock profile too expensive, forcing the Public to look elsewhere.

Nice one Autotrader your latest price increase made us focus on our business costs particularly our spend on A/T net result we shaved £1500 off our monthly spend with A/T without any reduction in sales for May. We shall see how it goes and consider reducing our spend with them further. In the meantime we shall be advising members of the public via our garage facebook page to select lowest price first when using A/T. After all A/T are keen to preach transparency to dealers for the consumer, therefore its a two way street, sponsored ads first is not necessarily the best deal for the consumer.

Edited by NEMESIS7
Amended text