RobMS

Trade with trade plates and children

Does anyone know what the restrictions are with having passengers, especially children, in a vehicle driven on trade plates.

Sometimes when I'm moving cars between compounds/garages my young lad (8 year old) wants to come along, but I never take if I'm on plates

Obviously wouldn't drive him in any unknown vehicle - eg, vehicle just bought and unaware of it's full condition ;)

when you applied for your trade plates the rules had to be signed for

have you read them?

Its business use only, you can have passengers providing its trade related. How else could you test drive a vehicle with a punter if you could not passenger the vehicle. The issue is when you're using it for social matters. Stopping at a shop for some fags while on way back from the block is actually allowed, you can stop for refreshment and relief (a Piss :P)

But I think taking the wife and kids out to tesco's for a big shop and then onto nando's is taking it a bit farr 

Yes, It would cover that, In fact they still ask on application form if you are using it for vehicles sales and transport of vehicles, and / or vehicle inspections referring to garages. 

On 4/21/2017 at 10:16 PM, SC Derby said:

What about testing driving cars to fault find etc 

This. If I have my mrs as passenger in a car on trade plates taking her to work on occasion, I'm also testing the vehicle for a potential underlying fault before sale. Very grey area surely?

11 hours ago, Daylight said:

This. If I have my mrs as passenger in a car on trade plates taking her to work on occasion, I'm also testing the vehicle for a potential underlying fault before sale. Very grey area surely?

Yes very grey area,

Best thing to do is make the wife take the bus ;)

22 hours ago, Daylight said:

Does your wife 'freelance' because I have a bad wheel bearing I'm trying to diagnose?:D

On 4/24/2017 at 9:34 PM, betginge said:

Yes very grey area,

Best thing to do is make the wife take the bus ;)

Not an option unfortunately, she only works up the road from my pitch anyway. I suppose I could take her on the back of the bike, that's taxed (£7a month) I'm pretty sure the quick ride and the messed up hair would make that a one time fix though :D

On 4/25/2017 at 8:33 AM, metcars said:

Does your wife 'freelance' because I have a bad wheel bearing I'm trying to diagnose?:D

No sorry, you may have to get your own passenger seat technician she's booked up for the foreseeable future ;) 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:54 AM, tradex said:

Saw a new Toyota 'something' on trade plates yesterday, not even registered yet, just had front plate in screen and the name of the car as the reg' with rear trade plate covering what would be the rear reg' plate....if it had one.

Made me think....how are new car dealers meant to display the 'original' reg' if there isn't one?

noise from rear end (wife needs to be in rear seat Pikey styley!) and possible overheating on a long run should cover most things;)

Intermittent slow starting from warm is my go to should I need it :D

aged 16  had scooter cost me £15 a year to tax,  Couldnt pay monthly then  :P

I take my daughter with me all the time on plates, my Dad always did with me! As long as it's a 'motor trade journey' I see no problem. I am self employed and work long hours, if I wasn't allowed her to travel in the cars then we wouldn't have any family life at all! After all I can hardly leave a six year old home alone officer, no I can't afford a baby sitter and oh well I'd probably be better off on the dole anyway!  I think as long as you can 'prove' the journey is purely motor trade and the child is only there as a necessity rather than a trip out to the local park then I can't see the police worrying too much. The DVLA might have a different view in which I would then be demonstrating the vehicle for my daughter to purchase! 

Whilst I agree with your need for a good work/life balance, MGM, and your perception of the way the police or DVLA would view it seems perfectly reasonable, how would your insurance company view things in the event of an accident, I wonder?

If you are the policy holder and are covered for business plus SDP then should be fine right?

Possibly... But the vehicle has to be correctly licensed and Trade Plate usage is subject to strict rules, so I wouldn't want to be the one that tests the law.

Maybe there are more legally-informed individuals on here that could advise?

g. PASSENGERS may be carried in a vehicle using a trade licence, unless the vehicle can carry only one person, provided they are carried in connection with a purpose for which the licence was issued.
Note:- Trade plates should not be used on a vehicle which is carrying passengers for hire and reward. The purposes for which a trade licence can be issued do not allow passengers to be carried on a commercial basis.

Sorry it's in large font, I copied and pasted from the road traffic act!

So I take it that as I'm taking my car from one business premises to an auction say, it is clearly for motor trade purposes, I'm insured for motor trade use obviously so I can carry passengers i.e. My daughter. 

1 hour ago, MGM said:

g. PASSENGERS may be carried in a vehicle using a trade licence, unless the vehicle can carry only one person, provided they are carried in connection with a purpose for which the licence was issued.
Note:- Trade plates should not be used on a vehicle which is carrying passengers for hire and reward. The purposes for which a trade licence can be issued do not allow passengers to be carried on a commercial basis.

Sorry it's in large font, I copied and pasted from the road traffic act!

So I take it that as I'm taking my car from one business premises to an auction say, it is clearly for motor trade purposes, I'm insured for motor trade use obviously so I can carry passengers i.e. My daughter. 

I guess that's ok if you take your daughter to auctions? Or if she has some other connection with 'motor trade'.

As said above, it's all very well for 'barrack room' lawyers, but I wouldn't like to have to explain myself at the side of the road? You may get away with it once, but two strikes and you're out!

Edit

Edited by MGM
Edit

i  see trade plates abuse every day

there will be some of us who will moan if we lose this privilege because a minority wont abide by the rules of use

• Like 1

I do not feel I misuse the plates, yes I take my daughter with me on motor trade purpose journeys. I do not class that as misuse. Misuse would be going shopping, a trip to the seaside or visiting family.

No offence but there seems to be a little scaremongering here, if someone misuses plates they will probably get a warning first then second time maybe a hefty fine and the privilege taken away. They aren't going to take away everyone's plates! We have had the same plates since 1971/2, they must travel a good 500-600 miles per week and I cannot remember having any issues. 46 years and never had a pull (on plates) I don't think we can be doing so much misusing? 

Dropping your wife at the station while she listens for a noisy wheelbearing, or dropping your kids at school because its 'on the way to the MOT garage' are lame excuses.  I do feel that trade plates are one of the small privileges they offer us in the motor trade, and as we all know privileges can be removed? Don't make it easy for them?