tomcb

CarKit App for Checking MOT History, Tax Cost, Valuation

6 hours ago, tomcb said:

Hey, currently the Pro version is £0.79 and removes ads and provides unlimited valuations, and Tax & MOT reminders for multiple vehicles. There's still lots more features in the works, for example one idea was to use the service codes from MOT advisories and failures (something like 3.1.2) and open the MOT testing manual at that section to give a more detailed explanation as to why it failed or was listed as an advisory. Its pretty unique and as far as I know no other app or website does this currently.

For example, one of the failure items on my car is:

'Rear Brake Pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c).

For someone who is perhaps less experienced with car maintenance it might not be very clear, but the MOT Inspection Manual gives nice descriptions: 

Chafing, corrosion or damage to a rigid brake pipe so that its wall thickness is reduced by 1/3 (e.g. approximately 0.25 mm for typical hydraulic brake pipe) is a reason for rejection. 

I'd like to incorporate this into the app in the future. I think it would be useful if your buying a car with advisories on its last MOT, and you want to know what needs to be done to fix it. Is this something that would be useful?

79p with unlimited valuations ? do you mean the valuations are extra ? also who is providing the valuations ?

@Rory RSC the phone last for a week with no charge, i must of dropped it 100 times and not even a mark to it. iphones are great kit but working in the garage most of time I would be be buying 2-3 screens a month :D

if this app is anygood I will wack it on my tablet, which take work anyway.

23 hours ago, RS-Autos said:

A one off 79p ??

I'll have it if that's all it is.

Yeah, just one off and that will include all updates and new features that get added.

20 hours ago, justina3 said:

very useful having mot info on there, the last few mot's advisories can tell a lot about how a car has been locked after, for example i was looking at a c1 today in the block and for the last 4 years every year the car has failed or advised brake pads and tyres on the front, makes you wonder if they can not do the basics right there is not a hope in hell on the thing being serviced or looked after in any shape or form, I skipped it and my mate bought it spoke to him a while after and yep as i thought he said its a right pig.

so yep that would be a great feature to add.

How do you find the pro version i cant seem to locate it 

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try add this to the next release of the app. Also there should be a button called 'Get Pro' on the search screen.

Thanks.

Just updating to say that I've now added additional reminders to the app so you can now be reminded when you need to renew your insurance, go for a service, change the cam belt or sell the vehicle :)

Simulator Screen Shot 22 Apr 2017, 22.25.50.png

3 minutes ago, Paulusk2z said:

just downloaded! awsome app! im going to find this very usefull.

Thanks Paul! Let me know if there's anything you think could be added to improve it :)

Great app. As justina3 said, it really helps you build a picture of its life. I have been struggling to click the down arrow for the MOT for some reason. May be my phone. Using iPhone 7 plus.

What else you got planned for it? How do you estimate the value? The valuations are a good guide for me as a person who is researching the trade a few years ahead of jumping into it. Every other non trade option out there is a laborious process of enter email, phone, full named, postcode etc. When the cars are flying though the block its nice & fast.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:14 PM, justina3 said:

very useful having mot info on there, the last few mot's advisories can tell a lot about how a car has been locked after, for example i was looking at a c1 today in the block and for the last 4 years every year the car has failed or advised brake pads and tyres on the front, makes you wonder if they can not do the basics right there is not a hope in hell on the thing being serviced or looked after in any shape or form, I skipped it and my mate bought it spoke to him a while after and yep as i thought he said its a right pig.

so yep that would be a great feature to add.

How do you find the pro version i cant seem to locate it 

I think that feature is coming next 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, tomcb said:

Yeah, just one off and that will include all updates and new features that get added.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try add this to the next release of the app. Also there should be a button called 'Get Pro' on the search screen.

Thanks.

Tom you never did say who was providing the valuations?

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tom you never did say who was providing the valuations?

Hey, sorry I missed the notification. The valuation is given as an average of the market price for that vehicle with similar mileage and age. I wouldn't like to get too specific but Its been pretty accurate so far while testing it. The only factor it doesn't account for is the condition of the car, as I'm not sure how would be best to estimate that. I also think it might throw off the accuracy if it tries to make assumptions about the car's condition.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:17 PM, justina3 said:

There should be a blue Pro button on the search page on iPhone. If you're on android I've still got some catching up to do with that version. I'm planning to bring the features in the iPhone version, like valuations, over to Android too.

Edited by tomcb

17 hours ago, tomcb said:

Hey, sorry I missed the notification. The valuation is given as an average of the market price for that vehicle with similar mileage and age. I wouldn't like to get too specific but Its been pretty accurate so far while testing it. The only factor it doesn't account for is the condition of the car, as I'm not sure how would be best to estimate that. I also think it might throw off the accuracy if it tries to make assumptions about the car's condition.

There should be a blue Pro button on the search page on iPhone. If you're on android I've still got some catching up to do with that version. I'm planning to bring the features in the iPhone version, like valuations, over to Android too.

I'd be interested to see how they stack up to CAP...

In terms of Android this is the biggest market in the UK massively outselling both windows and apple, so I'm surprised you've prioritised that (bad) apple thing! :P

Get on it man! B)

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'd be interested to see how they stack up to CAP...

In terms of Android this is the biggest market in the UK massively outselling both windows and apple, so I'm surprised you've prioritised that (bad) apple thing! :P

Get on it man! B)

Haha, you're right! I did make the Android app first last year and then the apple app this year and got a bit carried away with features. Now i'm playing catch-up with the Android app :)

16 minutes ago, Cathedral Automotive said:

I have got this app now and used it at BCA last week - really useful and loving its evolution! Good work

Si

Thanks Cathedral!

Just wanted to say that some changes to the Tax system broke the tax info on both apps, but its now been fixed. On Android the update was released yesterday but I have to wait a few days on apple while it passes their review process.