I really, really hate these with a passion ! 

Why will Autotrader not listen .. We do not need 'price indicators' , without rambling on these are genuinely misleading the innocent public and will affect every dealer who advertises on Autotarder - Including ME !!
Going live 4th April , initially on mobile only then I guess being rolled our everywhere..

( Won't allow me me to upload image :(

I know, I'm fuming!!

A deal in very low mileage, exceptionally clean, low owner vehicles, so my stock is usually always above market, but they always sell, because generally faultless and hard to find elsewhere.

It's bad enough when you get the Parkers price guide brigade in, who think they're price experts and your retail price should be less than you paid for it trade!!

It's almost as if AT is deliberately trying to alienate dealers, very odd!!!

Remember the public are not stupid, not everyone clutches parkers and spouts it for gospel.

It is far from transparent though and it has muddied the waters in what should be a simple search.

My cars are not prepped the same as the guy who washes them from auction adds £250 and sticks them up for sale.

Customers will be turning up to view cars with amazing price markers and end up walking away when they see battered heaps of junk from untrustworthy dealers.

Remember the public are not stupid, not everyone clutches parkers and spouts it for gospel.

It is far from transparent though and it has muddied the waters in what should be a simple search.

My cars are not prepped the same as the guy who washes them from auction adds £250 and sticks them up for sale.

Customers will be turning up to view cars with amazing price markers and end up walking away when they see battered heaps of junk from untrustworthy dealers.

2 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

youve just done a jimmy saville:D

say everything twice

but yes let those that chase bottom price go forth because ive always said this too "we don't just buy cars and chuck a bucket of water over them" proper customers do understand this and do their homework even if they try and tell you differently

Whilst this is true, in reality everyone wants everything for as little as possible and will spend a lot of time and money chasing what they perceive as the best deal (which I know isn't always the best deal overall, but some will never learn). How long will it take until the majority of people finally realise this? And will there be any quality, small, independent dealers left by then?

Those of us that try to do the job right are being attacked on all sides and are struggling to stay afloat:

• PLCs and supermarkets are cornering the market for stock and are willing to sacrifice margin for market share. Great Price anyone?
  • They do not declare all of the add-ons in their advertised prices (even if the cars actually exist...), making the transaction price a lot different
  • Our advertising partners are ramping up their prices to the smaller dealers, concentrating on providing the best service for the above
  • Anyone can buy a car from an auction, wash it and stick £250 across it to take us out of the market. No VAT, no overheads, no warranties, no comebacks, no chance of being caught or stopped. The auctions couldn't care less because they've been paid.
  • FCA and Trading Standards rules are getting tighter. And we will be penalised because we are an easy target.
  • Customers have too much information that they don't know how to process.
  • The assumption is that we are the bandits and are fair game so we shouldn't be upset when we get a dodgy px dropped on our toes.
  • And it appears that NOBODY is able to do anything to set the record straight and give us a fighting chance of survival.

The old saying of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' will apply. Just like corner shops and pubs etc etc

Troubled times ahead...

43 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

Whilst this is true, in reality everyone wants everything for as little as possible and will spend a lot of time and money chasing what they perceive as the best deal (which I know isn't always the best deal overall, but some will never learn). How long will it take until the majority of people finally realise this? And will there be any quality, small, independent dealers left by then?

Those of us that try to do the job right are being attacked on all sides and are struggling to stay afloat:

• PLCs and supermarkets are cornering the market for stock and are willing to sacrifice margin for market share. Great Price anyone?
  • They do not declare all of the add-ons in their advertised prices (even if the cars actually exist...), making the transaction price a lot different
  • Our advertising partners are ramping up their prices to the smaller dealers, concentrating on providing the best service for the above
  • Anyone can buy a car from an auction, wash it and stick £250 across it to take us out of the market. No VAT, no overheads, no warranties, no comebacks, no chance of being caught or stopped. The auctions couldn't care less because they've been paid.
  • FCA and Trading Standards rules are getting tighter. And we will be penalised because we are an easy target.
  • Customers have too much information that they don't know how to process.
  • The assumption is that we are the bandits and are fair game so we shouldn't be upset when we get a dodgy px dropped on our toes.
  • And it appears that NOBODY is able to do anything to set the record straight and give us a fighting chance of survival.

The old saying of 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone' will apply. Just like corner shops and pubs etc etc

Troubled times ahead...

Couldn't agree more, sadly.

But the fundamental difference between insurance policies, hotel rooms, washing machines etc and Used Cars is that they are all the same and Used Cars are uniquely different.

But this is never part of any discussion about price comparison in our industry and, in my view, it should be the single most important point. Especially as it is the one factor that makes all the comparisons on Used Cars redundant and worthless.

18 hours ago, williamblackshaw said:

Guess this is life these days. Go compare etc. booking.com's ok not exactly the same but it's that price compare idea 

Sadly, I agree with this. It's how people shop in 2017. they jump on google and find the cheapest one. There was a time when 'condition was everything' now its price. Don't forget that most 'average' punters don't enjoy car buying and see used car dealers as the spawn of satan! 'Average' punters see car purchase as just replacing the large metal box on the drive with another large metal box in 3yrs time; replacing one monthly finance payment with another monthly finance payment. So even more reasons to stay on google and off the forecourts.

Obviously, there are always exceptions to the rule, maybe if you're selling something really special like a 1950's Ferrari?

On 3/31/2017 at 2:45 PM, Rory RSC said:

This.