Hi all, just had a car delivered which I bought from BCA, I got in the car to move it and it's very hard to go into gear and the biting point is right at the bottom - indicating it needs a new clutch. Now, this was sold on a 'sold as seen' basis but given the nature of the fault, anyone could have picked up on it before it went into the sale, it does take some effort to get it into gear and makes a horrible noise when putting the car into reverse.

I've just spoken to the centre where the car was bought from and they told me to ring the live online team, upon ringing them the first person i spoke to said they can not do anything so I asked to speak to a manager who was in a meeting so waiting for a call back. From your experience, where do I stand, i know it was on a sold as seen basis but it is pretty obvious there is a fault and they did not declare it.

Thanks

It is a Civic Type R, I had one recently do the same thing and it was the pressure plate and a new clutch from Honda fixed it.

Ha ha, i don't know why i keep going back there, it's abit like playing russian roulette but only one chamber is empty with BCA.

The car was from Scotland and i'm 300 miles away and there is no way i'm travelling up there for one car so online makes sense, that being said, it's just common courtesy to people like us who are long distance buyers buying the car blindly. If there is something obviously wrong with the car then it should/has to be declared right?

13 minutes ago, thecarenthusiast said:

If there is something obviously wrong with the car then it should/has to be declared right?

Nope! Sold as seen. Sometimes the auctioneer will announce noisy engine or gearbox but doesn't have to. Even making a claim with an BCA assured car is hard work so you have little chance i'm afraid. 

I just spoke to BCA about selling a car through one of their centres and what they basically said was, if there is a fault you have to declare it, and this applies to everyone. I doubt i will get very far too be totally honest but worth a punt!

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Nope! Sold as seen. Sometimes the auctioneer will announce noisy engine or gearbox but doesn't have to. Even making a claim with an BCA assured car is hard work so you have little chance i'm afraid. 

I agree with Tom. It sucks, but all part of buying blind from auction. I was actually at a BCA auction, I asked the driver how the clutch was, he told me it was about half way and seemed fine. I bought the car (knowing full well to take what he said with a pinch of salt!), sure enough right at the top and slipping!! So even when you're present they will lie to your face, so you've go no chance hiding behind a computer I'm afraid. I do sympathise with you however.

not a chance, do not buy unseen unless its assured, I assume it was cheap as the hall would have spotted it

Yeah doubt they'll do anything to be honest, and i was suspicious when i was bidding on the car, 3 bids from 2 hall bidders and in comes me with the 4th bid and i won it. It has a margin across the car if i was to get the bits done but a very tight margin to be honest.

What Andy Said.

You may have a possible chance if its an AA assured car but from what you are saying unlikely to be the case.

You may get some assistance if you buy a lot of cars from BCA - would need to be Hundreds