A few days ago i got pulled over by Mr.Plod, the car did not come back up as insured and taxed. I had the trade plate on the dash which lets be honest, it's makes life easier and my mistake was i left the other trade plate at home so only displayed one. They let me off with a slap on the wrist and told me the trade plates need to cover the existing reg.

I can find some topics regarding this but is this actually set in stone? If so, which brackets would you recommend to go over the existing plate because the last thing i want is it flying off on the motorway!

1 hour ago, thecarenthusiast said:

A few days ago i got pulled over by Mr.Plod, the car did not come back up as insured and taxed. I had the trade plate on the dash which lets be honest, it's makes life easier and my mistake was i left the other trade plate at home so only displayed one. They let me off with a slap on the wrist and told me the trade plates need to cover the existing reg.

I can find some topics regarding this but is this actually set in stone? If so, which brackets would you recommend to go over the existing plate because the last thing i want is it flying off on the motorway!

Not allowed to cover the number plates! 

Edited by Tom

im still covering my plates

dvla are clueless

ive had 2 run ins so far this year with them and had to tell them how it it is

plod are too busy up here to worry about these issues,im more concerned where a new trader on here the other day boasted how he just threw one plate in the dash,i dont like this attitude so stayed away for a few days,i want to see this trade as professional at all times

this morning going through the Mersey tunnel, police road check targeting cars with trade plates displayed in the window, they had 4 pulled over at once by the tunnel police not proper police

Edited by Phil H
because i still can

Well that's a good thing for us surely, DVLA seem to be giving out trade plates to any joe bloggs at the moment which give us hard time as we're then painted with the same brush. Would like to see them do more to banish the kerb side traders - DVLA really need to vet the applicants of trade plates.

Plod, DVLA and the motor trade need to get together and decide what is correct and what isn't. I agree with plod that they shouldn't be in screen, how many do you see in screen that you cant read... I use the sucker type that cover the plate and although DVLA rules say this is incorrect can they tell me how else to display them??

35 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

Plod, DVLA and the motor trade need to get together and decide what is correct and what isn't. I agree with plod that they shouldn't be in screen, how many do you see in screen that you cant read... I use the sucker type that cover the plate and although DVLA rules say this is incorrect can they tell me how else to display them??

I think there are many more changes on the way soon regarding 'toll roads' and how those charges are passed back to consumers. The updated VED system is just a building block for monthly charge back. Trade plates are a loose end for them to tie up. Sit back and enjoy the ride?:D

I use the small metal sprung clips that go over the existing plates...bit fiddly and you have to mind the paint on the bumpers. I'm still covering the plates.

As tradex mentions; I don't understand why the police or revenue collectors (one and the same sometimes) are fussy where the plates are displayed, surely the more important thing is that they are there!

Plenty of tax dodgers out there that would be easier to catch. I'm still shocked how many people want to drive away on handover without taxing their new car. 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

I see this a little less harshly. At least those guys have and use trade plates.

Surely they should spend their time chasing down untaxed cars, which according to the traffic copper I sold a Focus to few months ago, is rife now there is no badge of honesty in the window.

He told me uninsured and untaxed vehicles are at an all time high and the best policy in an accident is go straight online and do a tax and insurance check or call the police regardless, if only to say someone has been hurt...that could be a broken finger nail.

1 in cars 10 not having insurance or tax...in some citues approaching 1 in 7! He reckons DVLA have lost a lot of revenue since introducing the new tax schedule. 

I ppinted out but their was no longer any need to insure a vehicle to tax it so that must be wrong, he told there was no longer any need to show tax either.  A lot of non taxed were reported by Joe Public back in the day....and there was always value in selling a car with tax than the cost of the tax.

Scary stuff!

I agree with you, but as I've said before the 'new' ved system was put in place in readiness for future changes; it's just a 'key stone' as such. Don't forget road pricing is 'waiting in the wings' still?

If Plod wants to catch a few, they could just sit outside BCA Blackbushe any day. Ventured off there today for the first time in ages and while I was waiting for a lift outside, I counted 38 cars leaving with trade plates: 35 of which had them inside the car, 2 cars had one pair between them, top and tail stylie (also inside the cars) and only 1 correctly displayed as per the new rules. 

This is obviously a case of poor information, poorly explained.

2 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

If Plod wants to catch a few, they could just sit outside BCA Blackbushe any day. Ventured off there today for the first time in ages and while I was waiting for a lift outside, I counted 38 cars leaving with trade plates: 35 of which had them inside the car, 2 cars had one pair between them, top and tail stylie (also inside the cars) and only 1 correctly displayed as per the new rules. 

This is obviously a case of poor information, poorly explained.

I was up there today didn't see any "green giants"

Well my new trade plate holders have arrived today and these have the spring clips that fit over the ends of your existing reg plate, BUT display the trade plate below the existing reg, so as to not cover it up. I have to say it's really simple but well made and they fit everything front and rear that I have in stock at the moment. I've also purchased two security wires that dog clip to the trade plates that you can run through a grill or trap under the boot/bonnet as an extra bit of piece of mind so that they won't fly off...

Plate holder:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322441729606?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bunjy thingy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381777653738?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

Just to update I've used them a few times now and have to say they work well with no movement at all... The first couple of runs I used the bungee straps for extra security, but soon realised they weren't moving at all so removed them and went commando! :lol:

Even at motorway speed they didn't budge an inch (25mm for you millennials :P

On 30/03/2017 at 9:01 AM, tradex said:

yup, same here. I always offer to do online for them so there is no excuse.

Recently had a guy drive away in a 7k Focus which he didn't tax as he didn't want to loose a few quid, it was getting to the end of the month...go figure:wacko: His journey would have taken him on three motorways and the Dartford Crossing.

These are the ones I use...excellent things!

Really good value for money, robust and you can re configure them to show the original plate or cover it completely 

18 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

These are the ones I use...excellent things!

Really good value for money, robust and you can re configure them to show the original plate or cover it completely 

They look really good but don't think they would work with my trade plates? I've got the older style trade plates where they don't have the driver & vehicle licensing agency logo on them, and pretty sure my plates don't have those slit holes for the nuts??

13 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

...and pretty sure my plates don't have those slit holes for the nuts??

Early draft script for a new Carry On film, perhaps?

Just now, GreenGiant said:

Early draft script for a new Carry On film, perhaps?

Haha! I could have worded that better....!! As it happens, I do have the, er, slit holes for the nuts!! :lol: