Dropped a bit of a clanger today and bought a 2 owner car out of the auction with no V5, which is something I never do, my mistake didn't see it on the catalogue.

Just wondering what the procedure is now. Do I have to get one from DVLA in my name which is going to make it a 3 owner car. My initial thought was I could show potential customer the HPi report showing it is 2 former and then apply to put his/her name on as next keeper, but how do I get around taxing it with no green slip? 

Thanks

If I remember correctly. You need to prove to the DVLA you're in the trade and that you have bought it from a trade source with no log book. I think there is a small fee. It's something I've never done, but I had a chat to someone about it in the past as you do get them in the block every now and then. Best thing to do is call the DVLA. I'd be very surprised if you need to become the keeper to resolve the issue and add another owner on the documents.

Edited by Ken

check on the check car tax status website and if it's been passed to trade you can v62 it in the new customers name and tax it at the post office at the same time

• Like 1

Just now, Phil H said:

check on the check car tax status website and if it's been passed to trade you can v62 it in the new customers name and tax it at the post office at the same time

Well I was way off lol Thanks! I have learnt something new today :)

my advice is ring dvla ask if its in trade,do not depend on the web page its often wrong

if its in trade consider as suggested putting v5c in new customers name and taxing in local post office

if its not in trade get your £25 off to them soonest because it might still take up to 6 weeks before dvla will release v5c as they need to write to previous owner and get a reply and put you to the back of the queue,my drawer socks full of teashirts dont you know:lol:

Ken, yes the advice above is correct.

However you can in fact check on line to see if it's been passed to trade. Log into the part of the DVLA site that tells you if a car is taxed , when you get the details up, check out the very bottom line, if it says ' you maybe able to road tax this car without the V5C at the Post Office' or something similar , it means it's been passed to trade, just use a V10 to tax and V62 to change name, but you will also need the last owners postcode. Really easy afvyhe post office just an extra £25.

best of luck 

Rang DVLA today, I just need to pay my £25 at Post Office along with V62 when Ive found a home for it. After some investigation turns out last owner bought it when it was 3 months old so probably 1 owner + supplying Honda main dealer, well that's what' s going in my advert anyway....lol.

Not as painful as I thought, many thanks for everyone's input, very much appreciated.

6 hours ago, tradex said:

good advice here....just done the same thing on Monday, not having a good day

....bought one with no V5....although I also thought it was also diesel, well it was cheap!

On the way home (hadn't collect it at that point) I was getting a bad case of buyers remorse....I rarely buy diesels unless older HDi/TDDi....turns out my 2.2 is a gasolene, happy days. I must be a rare bird though in that respect.:D

Not noticing the V5 was missing is one thing, but thinking it was diesel as well sounds like 'early onset dementia' :D

Edited by metcars